Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Return at Chapters bookshop

Options
  • 24-12-2013 8:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭

<SNIP> Speculative

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 INSCOPE

I went in there yesterday and encountered the <SNIP>. He was rude right from the start giving obnoxious attitude. I was asking to return a book that I bought 2 days previously for another one. I had gotten the wrong one. This was a present for my Mum. He was like "I don't understand what you are asking?" Had to rephrase the question 3 times. Then he finally looks in his computer and says they don't have it. (Mind you, they had it 2 days previously and it wasn't a hot title by far). Then he said that the publisher doesn't publish it anymore. I asked to return the book for a refund. He said no. I asked for a store credit. No again. I was shocked and said "I bought the book 2 days ago. Here is my receipt." He still with loads of obnoxious attitude was like "No, doesn't matter if it was 2 weeks ago or 2 months ago." By now I lost my temper. I took my receipt out of the book and pushed it towards him and said "You can take the book that I don't want and shove it up your a**". I will never go in there again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭The Wild Bunch

INSCOPE wrote: »
    I went in there yesterday and encountered the <SNIP>. He was rude right from the start giving obnoxious attitude. I was asking to return a book that I bought 2 days previously for another one. I had gotten the wrong one. This was a present for my Mum. He was like "I don't understand what you are asking?" Had to rephrase the question 3 times. Then he finally looks in his computer and says they don't have it. (Mind you, they has it 2 days previously and it wasn't a hot title by far). Then he said that the publisher doesn't publish it anymore. I asked to return the book for a refund. He said no. I asked for a store credit. No again. I was shocked and said "I bought the book 2 days ago. Here is my receipt." He still with loads of obnoxious attitude was like "No, doesn't matter if it was 2 weeks ago or 2 months ago." By now I lost my temper. I took my receipt out of the book and pushed it towards him and said "You can take the book that I don't want and shove it up your a**". I will never go in there again.

What an absolute <SNIP> that guy is

If he's not the owner, how the hell has he lasted this long?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Thread moved from Literature forum to Consumer Issues.
    Oh, you mean a <SNIP>r?

Less of this please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

When we get past the rant and the bad language this is just another request for a refund following a change of mind. The item was not faulty. The buyer was at fault. The retailer was under no obligation to give a refund. Could you not find the other book on the shelves, if you don't believe he was out of stock?
    If your attitude was anything like how you recounted it above I'm not surprised he didn't entertain you. Most bookshops would exchange or give a credit note in these circumstances and chapters is fairly decent in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Posters - Consumer Issues rules apply from now on.

@INSCOPE - in the scenario you describe, you are not entitled to anything. However, most shops do exercise good customer service and would give you something.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

If he's not the owner, how the hell has he lasted this long?

remember there is only one side of the story here!

I got a complaint about one of my stores a few weeks ago - fairly serious allegation about rudeness and attitude.

Thankfully we have particularly good cctv and voice recording - reality was so completely different and the person complaining was totally out of order and insulted our staff and pushed another customer and used profanities.

We gave her a transcript of her conversation and funny, we haven't heard from her since!

So always be careful of judging a store / person from just one side of the argument. The poster in this case has no right to a refund / credit or exchange - and possibly took umbrage at this and caused the person in the store to become defenceful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

If the op had walked into the shop,found the book they wanted and went up to the desk and said, "Excuse me I brought 'first book' 2 days ago as a present and its the wrong book. Is their any chance I could exchange it for this book" Instead they were rude and the shop assistant met like with like.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

INSCOPE wrote: »
    I went in there yesterday and encountered the <SNIP>. He was rude right from the start giving obnoxious attitude. I was asking to return a book that I bought 2 days previously for another one.....

Not been there for a while, but do they have a sign up saying they accept returns, unless the book is defective or faulty, there is no customer right for a "change of mind" return.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭johnthemull

Moving this thread form literature to consumer issues fails to take into account the long litany of complaints against the attitude showed by the owner of the said premises. This is not a simple consumer complaint it is a thread born out of the utter disgust at many lovers of literature being treated with contempt by the owner of this establishment.
    Anyone tempted to post in defence of this establishment is missing the point and should read the entire thread before forming an opinion IMHO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

In consumer issue terms the complaint about exchanging the wrong book stands as an issue with customer error and poor attitude to which the retailer responded quite legitimately.
    We can only comment on the case put to us. Literary threads may have a bigger issue with the business but this particular issue is tantamount to a non event. It is a matter of "change of mind" by the customer who then handled the request to address it improperly. I'm sure people have other faults with the establishment, as with many businesses, but as someone who very much enjoys and values books I have to say I was only ever been treated with respect and civility in Chapters. But the again I have only gone in and picked a book from the shelves or enquired about availability of a title from time to time.

• Advertisement

In consumer issue terms the complaint about exchanging the wrong book stands as an issue with customer error and poor attitude to which the retailer responded quite legitimately.
    We can only comment on the case put to us. Literary threads may have a bigger issue with the business but this particular issue is tantamount to a non event. It is a matter of "change of mind" by the customer who then handled the request to address it improperly. I'm sure people have other faults with the establishment, as with many businesses, but as someone who very much enjoys and values books I have to say I was only ever been treated with respect and civility in Chapters. But the again I have only gone in and picked a book from the shelves or enquired about availability of a title from time to time.

Agreed.
    My issue is that there is a bigger issue behind the thread.
    The moderator failed to take this into account in my view.
    If he was unhappy with the tone or direction of the thread it would have been better to close it than to move it here.
    Again only my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Moving this thread form literature to consumer issues fails to take into account the long litany of complaints against the attitude showed by the owner of the said premises. This is not a simple consumer complaint it is a thread born out of the utter disgust at many lovers of literature being treated with contempt by the owner of this establishment.
    Anyone tempted to post in defence of this establishment is missing the point and should read the entire thread before forming an opinion IMHO.
    In effect, you are asking that Boards be available as a platform for "lovers of literature" to mount a campaign against a particular bookseller. And if, in pursuit of such a campaign, an incorrect understanding of consumer rights is promulgated, that should be acceptable.

[I have no strong opinion about Chapters. I have bought books there and had no problems.]

In effect, you are asking that Boards be available as a platform for "lovers of literature" to mount a campaign against a particular bookseller. And if, in pursuit of such a campaign, an incorrect understanding of consumer rights is promulgated, that should be acceptable.

[I have no strong opinion about Chapters. I have bought books there and had no problems.]

The original thread is here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056533617
    Moving it from the literature thread has robbed it of its context.

Please stick to the topic of this thread and the Consumer Issue at hand here.

dudara

Please stick to the topic of this thread and the Consumer Issue at hand here.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 28 INSCOPE

sandin wrote: »
    remember there is only one side of the story here!

I got a complaint about one of my stores a few weeks ago - fairly serious allegation about rudeness and attitude.

Thankfully we have particularly good cctv and voice recording - reality was so completely different and the person complaining was totally out of order and insulted our staff and pushed another customer and used profanities.

We gave her a transcript of her conversation and funny, we haven't heard from her since!

So always be careful of judging a store / person from just one side of the argument. The poster in this case has no right to a refund / credit or exchange - and possibly took umbrage at this and caused the person in the store to become defenceful.
    I was polite the whole transaction until the end. I even asked if he could point me to the location of the book so I could look for myself. It was he with the obnoxious attitude from the beginning that made me lose my temper. If you look at the other thread (not sure where it went or why the thread was split), you will see I'm not the only one he is like this with. By then, I could have cared less about the 8 euro or the present for my Mum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭The Wild Bunch

EDIT

Advertisement