Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Ulaan2015 Clifden to Mongolia and back in aid of Temple Street Children's Hospital

• 15-02-2014 11:47am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭

May 2015, I will depart from Clifden to UlaanBaatar in Mongolia, travelling via Dublin, Dover, Antwerp, Berlin, Estonia and Moscow. This is a journey of approx 10,000km. The planned return trip is the reverse, but there is a good chance that I may travel back via Sochi, Trabzon in Turkey and Romania

This is a solo journey, with some camping and some hotel and hostels. I am hoping to also stay with people I know along the route

I will bringing a small Linux based net book to update here and other forums, a camera, pictures uploaded to Flickr most days, a gopro and a Delorme inReach SE gps tracker/communicator, which enables two way communications

The aim of the trip is to raise funds for Temple Street Children's Hospital. All fundraising is being done via an idonate.ie page. This ensures all funds raised goes direct to the hospital. I am funding the trip myself

I have a goal of €5000 but there is no maximum that I would love to reach as the hospital is a deserving cause

I have setup Twitter (@ulaan2015) Facebook https://www.facebook.com/ulaan2015 and a blog http://www.ulaan2015.com I will also keep this updated

Join Ireland Weather Network

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭thecivvie

this is the route I am planning to take out http://goo.gl/maps/JmqAK

Screenshot2.png

the return journey I am looking at is http://goo.gl/maps/BHI4d

Screenshot3.png

For some reason Google Maps wont show the Ferry from Sochi to Trabzon, I plan to take that and not drive through Georgia

Total journey is just over 23k km

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Have you considered a facebook page?.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Have you considered a facebook page?.

https://www.facebook.com/Ulaan2015

it's worded strangely in the OP

Not sure why I put it as the way I worded it. Thanks for that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Cheers, I just 'liked' you on FB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

doesn't look that far on a small map sean!!

No it looks like a trip around Clare on those maps. It is hard to imagine that 2/3 of it is in one country. And I may have been talked into Georgia as they have no visa requirements for EU citizens :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 mattieb

Fair play, I'll definitely give a few quid. Even though I'm totally jealous, haha!

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭dr strangelove

Good luck!

Would you not think about going through Iran - with and Irish passport you shouldn't have a problem.

Good luck!

Would you not think about going through Iran - with and Irish passport you shouldn't have a problem.

Sadly i hold a UK passport, think that may cause a few problems. I had considered it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭positron

Wow, sounds like an awesome adventure. Best of luck with it, I will keep an eye on this thread and will donate towards the cause.

Question: Is that route something like the shortest route to get there, or have you thought about what to visit etc too?

positron wrote: »
    Question: Is that route something like the shortest route to get there, or have you thought about what to visit etc too?

I have always wanted to visit Moscow, Mongolia and Timbuktu. Sadly the latter may never happen due to civil war and the like

The route originally was straight there and straight back but I realised that would be boring so decided to head down to the Black Sea and across to Turkey and Romania where I could spend a day on the Transfagarasan Highway

The shortest route is through The Ukraine but it does not appeal to me. The Trans Siberian Highway is something I want to do and may even head over to the Road Of Bones but may not do it as I will be on a Pan.

Another reason for my route is a family connection to the Bergen-Belsen camp, my grandfather was a medic who went in with the liberators of the camp. He came out a changed man.

I maybe taking a short detour on the TSH to visit the Ural motorcycle factory also. I have a list as long as my arm but cannot fit everything in

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Fair play to you mate, sounds like a fantastic trip. I’d love to do something like this one day – and doing it to raise funds for a worthy charity is fantastic. How much are you hoping to raise? I will of course donate. Not sure I’d like to do it on my own though – what happens if you get into trouble etc? How much do you think the trip is going to cost you and what are the plans for fundraising?

Zascar wrote: »
    Fair play to you mate, sounds like a fantastic trip. I’d love to do something like this one day – and doing it to raise funds for a worthy charity is fantastic. How much are you hoping to raise? I will of course donate. Not sure I’d like to do it on my own though – what happens if you get into trouble etc? How much do you think the trip is going to cost you and what are the plans for fundraising?

Yeah I have been putting this off for years and after watching Oisin Hughs videos it decided it for me. The goal is around €5000-€10000 but to be honest any money raised for them is a great help

Costings have put a total at about €6000, I have been given a spreadsheet that someone else did, they did a similar journey and that is more than they spent.

There is a motorbike ride around Connemara leaving Galway May 10th, see https://www.facebook.com/events/567183043322822/ but all fund raising is being done online through the idonate page, see my signature

Trouble that was the second thing I looked at after the route. I looked at all communication options, I had settled with getting a SPOT communicator but the problem with the SPOT is there is a big hole about half way along the TSH towards Mongolia. I then found the Delorme inReach which uses the Iridium sat network therefore with a 100% coverage. It has a SOS that allows me to tell them exactly what is wrong, if I am able to, othereise the rescue centre alerts the nearest emergency service. My family and serious3 will have a link that they can send me message me.

Just a quick itinerary of my route. This is of course subject to change. I have tried to keep most days short on the saddle but there are a couple of long days. No rest days are shown as such but there will be a few, I am hoping to spend 3 days in Moscow and a week in Mongolia itself

TD1 Clifden to Dublin
    Ferry to Holyhead
    Travel to Oxford
    TD2 Oxford to Folkestone
    Channel tunnel
    Calais to Antwerp
    TD3 Antwerp to Bergen
    TD4 Bergen to Poznan
    TD5 Poznan to Gdan'sk
    TD6 Gdan'sk to Riga
    TD7 Riga to Määsi
    TD8 Määsi to Pskov
    TD9 Pskov to Tver
    TD10 Tver to Nižnŷ Novorgord
    TD11 Nižnŷ Novorgord to Naberezhnye Chelyne
    TD12 Naberezhnye Chelyne to Chelyabinsk
    TD13 Chelyabinsk to Kurgan
    TD14 Kurgan to Omsk
    TD15 Omsk to Novosibirsk
    TD16 Novosibirsk to Krasnoyarsk
    TD17 Krasnoyarsk to Nizhneudinsk
    TD18 Nizhneudinsk to Irkutsk
    TD19 Irkutsk to ulan-Ude
    TD20 Ulan-Ude to Kyakhta
    TD21 Kyakhta to UlaanBaatar

Return

TD22 Ulaanbaaatar to Kyakhta
    TD23 Kyakhta to Ulan-Ude
    TD24 Ulan-Ude to Irkutsk
    TD25 Irkutsk to Nizhneudinsk
    TD26 Nizhneudinsk to Krasnoyarsk
    TD27 Krasnoyarsk to Novosibirsk
    TD28 Novosibirsk to Omsk
    TD29 Omsk to Kurgan
    TD30 Kurgan to Chelyabinsk
    TD31 Chelyabinsk to Ufa
    TD32 Ufa to Samara
    TD33 Samara to Kamyshin
    TD34 Kamyshin to Elista
    TD35 Elista to Vladikavkaz
    TD36 Vladikavkaz to Tbilisi
    TD37 Tbilisi to Batumi
    TD38 Batumi to Trabzon
    TD39 Trabzon to çorum
    TD40 Çorum to Istanbul
    TD41 Istanbul to Sofia
    TD42 Sofia to Belgrade
    TD43 Belgrade to Zagreb
    TD44 Zagreb to Salzburg
    TD45 Salzburg to Luxembourg
    TD46 Luxembourg to Calais
    Folkestone to Oxford
    TD47 Oxford to Holyhead
    Dublin to Galway
    TD48 Galway to Clifden

Just a short few days on the saddle ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭BeerSteakBirds

Ill be watching your journey with interest. Its a similar journey to one I often thought about doing myself.

Ill be watching your journey with interest. Its a similar journey to one I often thought about doing myself.

I have dreamed of doing this for years but with a family and work, it got put to the back burner. Decided now was the time to do it and to do it for a worthy cause

Last year I went to Aragon, Spain on a solo trip for the MotoGP. Drove from Cherbourg to Aragon in 1 night :). Was a good training run. This year doing the same MotoGP but with 2 mates

With using an idonate page, fund raising is so much easier as I have no bank expenses to worry about and all monies go direct to Temple Street

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭BeerSteakBirds

Hopefully we can all learn something from following your journey and seeing what kinds of pitfalls you might encounter along the way :)

Hopefully we can all learn something from following your journey and seeing what kinds of pitfalls you might encounter along the way :)

Hopefully not too many pitfalls. One word of advice I was given was to never refuse a drink and to avoid truckers, seems they are very "friendly"

I have a net book that I will be bringing and hope to be update this thread and add the odd pic as well

friendly truckers......hmmmmm whatever do you mean? :)

• Advertisement

About a year to go before I leave and lots to do. Camping trips to test gear to do. Visas cannot be applied for until closer to Xmas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Good stuff m8, keep us posted.

i will do, i have a flickr account for uploading pics, when i get wifi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭positron

Flickr is awfully slow though. If I see a flickr url, I just don't click it anymore. I used to be on Flickr every single day for years, but it went south since Yahoo acquisition.

Yeah I am aware of the problems with Flickr, I will still links using photobucket to here, just with unlimited photo space it maybe handy for me

322 Days to go :cool:

Full route map is Full route Map. Google maps won't generate a short link for such a big journey :)

Screenshot2014-06-12115101.png

Just sourcing an Africa Twin to retro fit onto the Varadero and then need a Coleman Dual Fuel stove and some small pans for cooking and all done

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blackbird99

bring 24" to 30" of fuel line, handy for syphoning petrol from the tank for the coleman stove.
    they always run out when your all set up in a campsite.

Yeah I have fuel line and a Rotopax which will be full always in Russia and Mongolia. And loads of Paracord

thecivvie wrote: »
    322 Days to go :cool:

Full route map is Full route Map. Google maps won't generate a short link for such a big journey :)

Screenshot2014-06-12115101.png

Just sourcing an Africa Twin to retro fit onto the Varadero and then need a Coleman Dual Fuel stove and some small pans for cooking and all done

OI! keep your hands of my Africa Twin!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 64 ✭✭CNTRLR

savage route, i hope you are getting a decent saddle....
    If you are into that sort of thing you will be coming fairly close to the nurburgring, always a lot to do there and there will be plenty of bikes around.
    I am in the southern part of the netherlands, i hope you don't need help by then but if you do i can PM you my number, always happy to help.

Advertisement