Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Ulaan2015 Clifden to Mongolia and back in aid of Temple Street Children's Hospital

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

ETA Temple St?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

ETA Temple St?
    Should only take an hour from Killbeggan Skill ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

At temple street with a few members of blood bike East along with myself (far left) and Sean, (baldy chap!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Ill look forward to following sean http://ulaan2015.com/
    Christ....His bike can float:eek:
    More pictures the better:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Following the updates on Facebook I see he's been giving out about the roads in Belgium. Having lived in Belgium for almost a year now I think that's a very unfair representation of the country.

Its not just the roads, the rest of the place is awful too!!

Best of luck on the rest of the trip man. Stay safe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 201 ✭✭Plopli

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Following the updates on Facebook I see he's been giving out about the roads in Belgium. Having lived in Belgium for almost a year now I think that's a very unfair representation of the country.

Its not just the roads, the rest of the place is awful too!!

Best of luck on the rest of the trip man. Stay safe.

Don't be too harsh on Belgium.
    Waffles, fries and beers are good.

But the road are definitely to be avoided ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭thecivvie

I will get serious3 to upload some pics as the wifi here is horrible

I am currently in Lubasz just outside Poznan. Today is a rest day after a week on the bike, it needs a rest :D

So far, apart from 2 thunderstorms, the weather has been fantastic. A couple of days I got off the bike soaking with sweat and I removed the liners before I left home. Night time in Poland is cold or so it seems to me.

Highlights have being to see Check Point Charlie in Berlin. It is hard to stop on a trip when alone and leave the bike so most things have to be seen from the bike. The TomTom has this thing about sending me down every road type possible. Travelling from Holland to Hamburg, it sent me down cobble, old stone, concrete slab, concrete paving and grass. Not bad for a stock bike :)

Weight has been an issue and stuff has been discarded. But after reading about Bridget on the Inagh to China, I am glad I have a full first aid kit.

Tomorrow I hace a run up to Krqasnopol in northern Poland, 450 miles. Then Riga the nest day. The 11th is proving a problem as I was supposed to stay in a camp site north of the boarder crossing but that has just fallen through. I have 2 choices now. One is to camp n Riga for 2 days and drive early to the boarder, or 1 day in Riga and wander slowly to the boarder and find a barn or something to sleep in.

Am I enjoying it so far? YES, i love every second of it. Yes it would have been nicer if I had someone I knew with me, but life doesn't always go that way. I wouldn't change the trip though, the bike is performing well for a stock bike and has had everything thrown at it

Join Ireland Weather Network

IMG_0154_zpssuh35wbg.jpg
    Boarder crossing into Estonia this morning
    IMG_0157_zpszji4oggp.jpg
    RUSSIA :D
    IMG_0130_zpswmgmfhgu.jpg
    That Irish flag gets everywhere
    IMG_0122_zpsk468kwxr.jpg
    Lovely roads think Poland
    IMG_3817_zpsxbvsfisw.jpg
    Can I hitch a ride

IMG_0159_zpsgmuacbss.jpg
    IMG_0161_zpsexbaledg.jpg
    On the road to Pskov
    IMG_0147_zps90v8trow.jpg
    Latvian Farm building
    IMG_0145_zpsamzmojhd.jpg
    This road went on for miles and miles
    IMG_0143_zpscu80j9wc.jpg
    Needed some more horse power
    IMG_3812_zpstyiw7vak.jpg
    Irish flag over campsite in Riga

Groovy looking tent

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Plopli wrote: »
    Don't be too harsh on Belgium.
    Waffles, fries and beers are good.

But the people are definitely to be avoided ...
    Fixed ;)

Moscow already. Fair play to him

Am now Nizhny Novgorod and heading for Kazan today. I have met many wonderful people whom I cannot thank enough. Having a wonderful time out here. Will try and upload more photos soon

He's landed if Kazan now, about 4k into a 14k trip.....gulp....

Now in Kurgan after a nice couple of days. The biggest problem out here, apart from the roads, is the safety situation when trying to take pictures. I was crossing the Urals and stopped and pulled onto the hard shoulder and still nearly got wiped out twice.
    The hospitality of the russian people is amazing. I have been offered food, bed for the night, help with the bike. I cannot thank everyone over here who has helped me.
    Tomorrow is a 666km push to Omsk. 2 night stay there, bike getting new rear bearings and brake pads and may change the oil as well.

Currently since leaving Ireland:
    I have done 4482 miles, 407 litres of petrol, averaging at the moment 51.55 mpg. Average cost is €1.037 per litre

Russa (also in above)
    1957 miles, 183 litres of petrol, 51.18 mpg, Average cost is €0.614 pet litre.

Pictures are available on Facebook as it is easier for me

small bit of excitement today....... got a message at lunch to say hed dropped the bike at about 30kmh on a muddy rutted motorway, the panniers, crash bars, and enduro handlebar guards save most of the damage, the pannier is battered and the clasp broken, and the rear indicator is busted, sean is ok if a little shook up. i had a skype chat with him this evening and hes in good form and wants to push on, he's having a beer or two and tomorrow he's getting the bike checked over while the tyres are being changed. hes worried about his helmet as it was scratched on the back, he's not reported any headaches, dizziness or sickness so he's obviously ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭ratracer

Sean gave a great account on the Facebook page today, and in true biker fashion ended the day with a fellow biker and beer!!

Hate to say I was testing the new rubber. Problem was I hadn't fitted them lol. Seriously there was so much muck on the road I tried to use the tiny strip outside the white line on the edge and misjudged it. bike and rider fine. Now in Krasnoyarsk and getting ready for a push towards Irkutst. I originally planned to stay in Ulan Ude a night but going to push towards the boarder so I am there early

And just to sicken you all. My last full of petrol was 48c a litre

35D610E4-2CA3-4990-9FC5-01E1259ED6D5_zpstf03i7dl.jpg
    This is as clean as the bike has been in almost 3 weeks. The sand roads in Poland and Latvia covered her and the Siberian dust, well 3 times a day I have to clean off the back lights and plate

• Advertisement

Currently in Irkutsk. Big push tomorrow as I want to get to the boarder before dusk. Will sleep somewhere near on at the boarder itself.
    All is going well. Irkutsk has the same weather As home. Rain lol.
    Enjoying every second and given the chance I would keep going east ;)

Everyday food of adventure riders lol
    9298DFD9-168A-4F1B-8727-405C18ADDE77_zpspph5qdmu.jpg

At about 6:45 irish time he made it to Mongolia, I'll chuck pics up later!

The Irish flag flying in Ulaanbattar
    IMG_4010_zpstxdg5qbl.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Cool Yurt Civvie, much respect & safe travels ;)

At the Genghis Kahn memorial

serious3 wrote: »
    At the Genghis Kahn memorial

TWINS:P

Went back to the Genghis Khan Statue with 3 others from the Oasis Guesthouse. It is a cracking day here in UlaanBattar, almost too hot to go out.

IMG_0368_zpslf53sabz.jpg
    Morticia and Genghis Khan

IMG_0402_zpsrhm0s7ms.jpg
    Amazing detail over the gate

IMG_0403_zpsvovtsslv.jpg
    Our bikes outside the statue centre

IMG_0406_zps9ubxlz9i.jpg
    Mr Mouse, Morticia and Genghis Khan

IMG_0419_zps3utlhr0f.jpg
    Amazingly very heavy

IMG_0434_zpswlox7rrx.jpg
    Everyone wanted their picture taken with the mad Irish Man

IMG_4065_zpsbh9xgadr.jpg
    Another type of vehicle at the Oasis. Yesterday there was 2 german camper vans, I kid you not

Please remember to donate a few euros to Temple Street on the iDonate Page

Tomorrow I start moving again. Route is to Ulan Ude, Zima, Krasnoyarsk ( for 2 nights), Novosibirsk , then down to Biysk and the Altai for a few days, up to a week. Then a huge 600 mile day to Omsk then Kurgan and Ufa before heading south to Volgograd, Georgia and Turkey along the Black Sea wild camping were possible along the Roller Coaster road. Then Europe and home. Looks like around July 9/10 in Dublin and a slow move west

• Advertisement

now in Ulan-Ude. Got through the boarder in about 90 minutes was shocked. They seemed to want to get rid of motorcycles quick today
    IMG_0438_zpsy7q0wm34.jpg
    IMG_0439_zpswbvvg9hr.jpg
    IMG_0441_zpsyphvh2np.jpg

Advertisement