Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hot or cold water in stove-top moka pot?

• 15-02-2014 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi, does it make a difference to use hot or cold water in your stove-top coffee pot? I've always used cold but have heard using hot water (reducing time brewing) you're less likely to over-heat and gives a better taste?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

hardwood wrote: »
    Hi, does it make a difference to use hot or cold water in your stove-top coffee pot? I've always used cold but have heard using hot water (reducing time brewing) you're less likely to over-heat and gives a better taste?

Don't fill it from the hot tap, though; water that's been stored in a copper cylinder isn't good for your liver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Vexorg

I use hot water, tastes better to me.

Good guide here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

I have fallen in love with my little moka pot. It's great.

I have tried both hot and cold water hardwood.
    Unlike Vexorg, I use cold water, but I have tried hot before. If you do some searching online I think you'll find as many people for and against each side.

I didn't find a noticeable difference in taste, but the main factor for me with the water and taste, was using filtered (Brita filtered) or bottled water. Taste was just much better. I noticed with hot water from the kettle (part boiled) it would obviously brew my coffee quickly, something I didn't really need. I was in no rush, just be careful not to burn your brew.

As others will agree, its all just a matter of trial and error and what suits your tastes. I would say this though. Eliminate all variables were possible.

Use the same coffee
    Use the same amount of water
    Use the same amount of coffee etc etc
    Then try hot and cold water, consistency is the key for a new brew.......

Wish I had a stove top pot in work

Taste is subjective, and I agree about removing variables, measuring the amount of coffee and water as well as the grind of the beans means you can reproduce what tastes good to you.

I found when I winged it, guessed the amounts I would get more mediocre coffee than good tasting coffee.

@M.J.M.C have you tried an aeropress? a little experimentation to find what you like and then consistency gives great results, my moka pot has not been out of the press since I got an espresso machine, the aeropress has been used when I do not have the time to wait for the machine to heat up. Would be easier to use in the office also.

Well put Vexorg
    To be honest I'm here reading about the aeropress. My local coffee shop sells them and i'm tempted to toy about with one. Heard great things about them. But I just love my moka pot. Guess I'll get one, nothing to lose they're only about 30 euro right?

They're supposed to be handy enough to clean etc. Off topic but do you use a milk frother or anything no?

• Advertisement

Yup around €30 in most places.

I love my milk drinks:) and currently use a hostess milk frother, does not microfoam like a proper steam arm but very convenient and easy to clean.

I'll defo get an Aeropress to have a play with thanks for that.
    Never heard of a hostess milk frother - presume its a step up (or many) from these hand held electric whisks you can get (which I'm using). Take long to heat up?

I was looking at stovetop steamers, they look nice
    http://prima-coffee.com/sites/default/files/bellman/accessories/zcx-25sw01-steamer.jpg

Sorry to OP for going so far off topic:)

The hostess is one of these takes about 3 mins to get 250ml to 67c. Its a while since I timed or checked the temperature, so will update if there is much difference the next time I check them.

That stovetop steamer looks cool.

That's cool - cheers man and thanks for the tips.
    Nice chatting to you. OP, thread is yours again :P sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭hardwood

Sounds like I should just get an Aeropress instead! :D

I've spent the last two weeks starting the moka with boiled water instead of cold water and I must say definitely a noticeable improvement in taste. I think because the water is already boiled and it takes less time for the coffee to come up through the funnel I keep a closer eye on it and always take it off the heat on time whereas before I would go off doing something else while waiting for it to heat up and sometimes not get it off the heat in time. Don't know if that's the only reason for an improvement but I'm happy anyway, better coffee and less waiting around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

When cold water is used the coffee tends to be over extracted. This will generally lead to quite bitter coffee. By using hot water the coffee should not be over extracted and should give a sweeter brew.

Advertisement