Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed on overbearing landlord

Options
  • 15-02-2014 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I moved house 3 weeks ago to a place I love. It's a 5 minute walk to work and everything is right at my doorstep. Pricewise it's very reasonable at 550 for a double ensuite.

However, I'm sharing with the owner/occupier. In the space of the last 3 weeks, he has managed to come into my room 4 times. Twice while I was asleep early in the morning, I woke up to find him there. His reasons are always a bit...frivolous. Once, he apparently needed to check if my window was open in case it rained. Another time, to see if I had the sweeping brush (I didn't).

What I'm wondering is, can this be passed off as an owner being a bit invasive, or is he breaking the rules? I feel on edge and having addressed it with him, he said "I wouldn't come in for no reason, so there shouldn't be a problem".

Thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

There is only one solution move out. Also it is in my opinion always a bad idea to share with owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

Very creepy. You're not living in Artane area by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

Totally unacceptable. If you do stay there you need to nip it in the bud now. You need privacy in your own room.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭mondeo

Lock your bedroom door before you sleep.... Thats what I always did when house sharing.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭kitchenkid

you can buy a gaqdget for around 20 euro that wedges the door unpushable - that would keep him out when you are there, but how come you dont have a key and use it? of course he could have a second key - actually, given the potential for future stress you should probably start looking for somewhere else....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Johnnyhpipe

Get out of there. If he's that bad when you're sleeping then god knows what drawers he's rooting through while you're out!

Leave! Now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Move out. No one should go into another's room when s/he's sleeping, except couples or parents looking after small children. This isn't just unacceptable, it's plain scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Hi all

I moved house 3 weeks ago to a place I love. It's a 5 minute walk to work and everything is right at my doorstep. Pricewise it's very reasonable at 550 for a double ensuite.

However, I'm sharing with the owner/occupier. In the space of the last 3 weeks, he has managed to come into my room 4 times. Twice while I was asleep early in the morning, I woke up to find him there. His reasons are always a bit...frivolous. Once, he apparently needed to check if my window was open in case it rained. Another time, to see if I had the sweeping brush (I didn't).

What I'm wondering is, can this be passed off as an owner being a bit invasive, or is he breaking the rules? I feel on edge and having addressed it with him, he said "I wouldn't come in for no reason, so there shouldn't be a problem".

Thoughts?

Unfortunately there are no rules when it comes to lodging with an owner occupier. However, he is overstepping the boundaries and you need to have a word with him.
    I have a lodger in my apartment and even in the extremely bad weather last week I texted her to ask if I could go in and close the window vents in the room as I could hear the blinds flapping about. Courtesy and respect should always be a given in these situations and this guy doesn't sound like he has that.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭the world wonders

Thoughts?
    SeEQKOU.jpg

I've had people rent rooms from me and the nearest I came to going into their rooms was to notice, when the door was open, that they were drying clothes on a mahogany chest of drawers, and ask them to stop because they'd ruin it, and instead use the indoor line in the garage. The sulk!
    But I'd no more go into their rooms when they're sleeping!! Ewww!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

I can only agree with others and say move out. At best the landlord doesnt understand personal space and boundaries, and at worst they are a pervert. You have no real rights to speak of in this situation; save yourself the hassle and find someone decent to live with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ElaElaElano

Thanks for all the advice. Pretty much confirms what I was thinking!

Not the Artane area but not far, I'm up on North strand.

As for locking the door, unfortunately it's not an option as it doesn't have a lock. Convenient!

The reality is, a couple of years ago this wouldn't even have been something to weigh up. With the market as crazy as it is now though, you almost feel privileged just to have a roof over your head!

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭mfergus

There are a lot of strange people out there... I think go with the above posters and move out.

If he's coming In when you're in the room he's probably also doing it when you're not in the room.

Anytime I'm renting I'd rather not rent in a house that the owner lives. It feels awkward as if your only a guest rather than a resident. But that's me. The land Lords could be fine...

Are you a student? If so, maybe stick up a notice in college asking about house share places. House share is usually a much better deal than any other form of renting.
    Meanwhile, you could courteously ask the landlord to stay out of your room at all times, and provide a lock. Don't get into a row, don't argue back if he says anything.
    Edit: just read your post again, OP, and it says five minutes' walk to work. Heavens, what kind of work are you doing that your pay only covers €500 rent a month?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ElaElaElano

Are you a student? If so, maybe stick up a notice in college asking about house share places. House share is usually a much better deal than any other form of renting.
    Meanwhile, you could courteously ask the landlord to stay out of your room at all times, and provide a lock. Don't get into a row, don't argue back if he says anything.
    Edit: just read your post again, OP, and it says five minutes' walk to work. Heavens, what kind of work are you doing that your pay only covers €500 rent a month?

Hi Mark, I'd say I have a reasonably good job (not a neuroscientist but y'know!) and a decent salary in around 35k. When I was looking at 1 bed apartments around here, anything other than a tiny bedsit was coming in at 1k up to 1200. That just seems extortionate. I could just about afford it, but it'd be a squeeze.

That's why a house share is often a better option - if you can share a 3-bed house, say, with 3 or 4 friends, it'll often be much better value, as well as more pleasant, more private and more adult than being a tenant in someone else's place.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 homerno

you need to leave, landlords an ass

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

However, I'm sharing with the owner/occupier. In the space of the last 3 weeks, he has managed to come into my room 4 times. Twice while I was asleep early in the morning, I woke up to find him there.
    I'd get the fuq out of there, ASAP! Never mind the fact that he enters whilst you are there, christ knows what he does in your room when you're not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

He sounds like a creep! I'd be giving notice and moving out.

I've lived with three owner-occupiers over the years, and didn't have particularly positive experiences with any of them. Having said that, the rent would usually be cheaper than houseshares in the area.

I remember in the last place I lived, the owner seemed perfectly nice and respectful of my privacy. However, I was only there a couple of months, and I was off sick from work one day. She wouldn't have known this. I heard her come home around lunchtime, and being sick and all, I wasn't arsed getting up to go and talk to her or anything. However, after pottering around the apartment for a bit, she came and opened my door to come into my room! She was all shocked and flustered to see me there in bed and apologised and left straight away with no explanation ... however it did make me aware that, if she did it that time, god knows how often she went in snooping around when I was out at work during the day.

In another place, I was supposed to have exclusive use of the main bathroom, but I would come home to find that the owner had been using it during the day (he worked from home.) You mightn't think that it would bother me to know he was using it when I wasn't there, but it meant that I wasn't comfortable leaving girly stuff around etc.

I know it's a generalisation about owner-occupiers, but having lived in several houseshares as well, I really have found that fellow renters will be very understanding and respectful of boundaries and privacy, whereas owner-occupiers (in my experience) tend to view it as their house/apartment, so they can have free access all areas at all times, and that'll never really change. Of course there are exceptions, and I'm sure there are some great owner-occupiers out there, but it's a situation I'd definitely avoid unless I was getting a seriously great bargain with the rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 chocoroll

This really sounds scary.... If I were you I would get the hell out of there. I know it's easy to say when we're not in you're situation. BUT i think that you're safety and well-being should be on top of you're list. And I can't imagine how this could ever work out between the 2 of you.. If he is doing things like this in the first month of you being there, seriously then this can only go on a down spiral. And could potentially be a real dangerous situation.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

get a lock for door

and move out as soon as possible

is he the owner or just renting

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

mondeo wrote: »
    Lock your bedroom door before you sleep.... Thats what I always did when house sharing.
    kitchenkid wrote: »
    you can buy a gaqdget for around 20 euro that wedges the door unpushable - that would keep him out when you are there

Be wary of this, especially if there is a fire or medical (or bathroom!) emergency.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

That's unbelievably inappropriate. I am actually gobsmacked!! You woke up to find this guy in your room!!!!

Get out asap. If I were you I wouldn't even give him notice, I would get a friend around and get out today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

That's unbelievably inappropriate. I am actually gobsmacked!! You woke up to find this guy in your room!!!!

Get out asap. If I were you I wouldn't even give him notice, I would get a friend around and get out today.

Totally agree. I would be out of there so fast, you wouldn't see me for dust. Peace of mind and your personal safety are all-important. A friend of mine found herself in a similar situation a few years ago, and she departed without further ado.

Advertisement