Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer Science UCD

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

ironclaw wrote: »
    I did it myself in UCD and honestly, I'm 75% software and the rest hardware. Its a far more rounded degree and globally its considered a very good basis to have (Engineering) In a nutshell, its everything from the circuit to the bit code to the high level programming language. You learn it all. Its tricky and its a hard graft, but very rewarding. Given your points, I would recommend it and you should suss it out before choosing CS. CS was my 'fall back' when I did the CAO.

Had a good look at the course and I think it seems to much based around programming circuits and the like. While I'm sure this would suit others down to the ground it just doesn't appeal to me for some reason! I will still keep looking into it and thank you for the suggestion it's always good to keep looking around as much as you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭bigred100

Hey, I'm after reading a post from 2010 saying that UCD's CS is not really programming orientated and that DCU CA is the way to go, I have UCD as #1 but I'm not throwing it out just because I've read one thing, but I have to admit it has me worried, anybody that has or does CS in UCD, what is the course like? and is more programming or maths covered in it? My god if this had happened in June I'd have had a heart attack!!

Theres plenty of programming, but its not very software orientated if you understand me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Aspiring wrote: »
    Had a good look at the course and I think it seems to much based around programming circuits and the like. While I'm sure this would suit others down to the ground it just doesn't appeal to me for some reason! I will still keep looking into it and thank you for the suggestion it's always good to keep looking around as much as you can.

No worries. What I would say is though it isn't all circuits. I liked circuits but I never would work with design of hardware. I'm far more software based. There is a good deal of hardware that is high level programming (C, Assembly etc) And there is also a good deal of mix with CS. For instance, Databases, Processor Design, Performance etc.

Its really a more 'in-depth' course so you understand everything from programming to the actual silicon on the board. Career prospects and high level progression, and obviously this could be argued, but globally and from the stats are far better with an Engineering background.

All said however, if you have a CS or Eng. interest, explore it in your spare time and do some outside study on your own back. Learn different languages and maybe take a course or two outside of college. It will stand to you no end!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Dave26992

I'm currently in my 4th year in CS in UCD, so the experience of it all is quite fresh, ironclaw has raised some valid points about doing an EE course over a CS course, but he is naturally biased. I will chip in my two cents, in the 4 years we have covered about 40/40/20 split between Theory,Programming and Maths. I looked at all the modules I've done and this is what I've come up with. The Theory refers to modules like Algorithmic Problem Solving, Formal Foundations, Databases among many others now a lot of these Theoretical modules have programming aspects but these only supplement the overall learning process. The programming languages we have learned include C,C++,Java,Ruby,Scheme and Assembly. So to say there's little emphasis on coding is just wrong. The maths we cover is difficult in the beginning, but you shouldn't let this deter you since maths lies at the core of computer science, and after a while knowing the things they taught you in first and second years grounds your understanding of topics in later years. Take computer graphics for example, you are taught about matrices in first year, an entire module, and yeah by the end of it you understand what a matrix is and that it has some use in games. But then when it comes to coding up a scene/animation in C++ your knowledge of how matrices/vectors work and interact acts as a foundation for your assignments.

Another thing worth mentioning is that in UCD there is an elective system, so while 10 of your 12 modules are in CS, you can pick two other electives each year from anywhere in UCD, sometimes it can be more of a hindrance than a help if it so happens you don't get the ones you wanted, but the choice is there. So over the fours years you will do 8-9 Maths Modules, 30-31 CS Modules and a Final Year Project worth 3 modules. Along with 6 Electives.

To reiterate what mhangasor was saying, yeah there are some terrible lecturers, but theres good and bad in everything, and in my opinion the good outshine the bad. You look forward to lectures when the person speaking is enthusiastic and helpful.

Since I've only studied in UCD I can't comment as to whether other colleges are better, all I can say is that CS in UCD is getting better each year. Our year, 2010-2014 was the first year to do the current CS course, DN201. And at the end of every year we give feedback on our modules, on how they were for content and what the lectures were like. Now there are things they can't change, lecturers personalities are one, but the things they can change they do their very best to do so. So our year has had it the worst in terms of being the "guinea pigs" for DN201 but we've helped pave the way for a better course.

As far as job prospects go, right now we are in the prime job hunting phase of our college year, both looking for and being sought after by ways of careers fairs and guest speakers. All I can say is there is plenty of work out there, and as long as you are willing to lower your standards just a little (Googlers) you will find a job no problem. It might sound cocky but the reality of it is not where will you get a job, but what kind of work your interested in pursuing and to a degree who you would like to work for. At any one time there are thousands of job offers in Ireland, and with companies like HubSpot and Intercom.io opening new offices in Dublin the prospects are ever improving.

I personally chose to pursue computer science not because I loved computers (which I did) but because I wanted to do something challenging and dynamic, similarly to the world of Electronic Engineering, I didn't want to be doing the same thing year after year, CS is a huge area of study, and is ever expanding, so what you learn this year isn't always the same as what lies around the corner. The fundamentals never change but they are the foundations which are used to broaden the horizons, what makes CS dynamic is the seen at the forefront, things like Machine Learning and Virtual Reality are some of the most interesting topics being studied right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

Dave26992 wrote: »
    I'm currently in my 4th year in CS in UCD, so the experience of it all is quite fresh, ironclaw has raised some valid points about doing an EE course over a CS course, but he is naturally biased. I will chip in my two cents, in the 4 years we have covered about 40/40/20 split between Theory,Programming and Maths. I looked at all the modules I've done and this is what I've come up with. The Theory refers to modules like Algorithmic Problem Solving, Formal Foundations, Databases among many others now a lot of these Theoretical modules have programming aspects but these only supplement the overall learning process. The programming languages we have learned include C,C++,Java,Ruby,Scheme and Assembly. So to say there's little emphasis on coding is just wrong. The maths we cover is difficult in the beginning, but you shouldn't let this deter you since maths lies at the core of computer science, and after a while knowing the things they taught you in first and second years grounds your understanding of topics in later years. Take computer graphics for example, you are taught about matrices in first year, an entire module, and yeah by the end of it you understand what a matrix is and that it has some use in games. But then when it comes to coding up a scene/animation in C++ your knowledge of how matrices/vectors work and interact acts as a foundation for your assignments.

Another thing worth mentioning is that in UCD there is an elective system, so while 10 of your 12 modules are in CS, you can pick two other electives each year from anywhere in UCD, sometimes it can be more of a hindrance than a help if it so happens you don't get the ones you wanted, but the choice is there. So over the fours years you will do 8-9 Maths Modules, 30-31 CS Modules and a Final Year Project worth 3 modules. Along with 6 Electives.

To reiterate what mhangasor was saying, yeah there are some terrible lecturers, but theres good and bad in everything, and in my opinion the good outshine the bad. You look forward to lectures when the person speaking is enthusiastic and helpful.

Since I've only studied in UCD I can't comment as to whether other colleges are better, all I can say is that CS in UCD is getting better each year. Our year, 2010-2014 was the first year to do the current CS course, DN201. And at the end of every year we give feedback on our modules, on how they were for content and what the lectures were like. Now there are things they can't change, lecturers personalities are one, but the things they can change they do their very best to do so. So our year has had it the worst in terms of being the "guinea pigs" for DN201 but we've helped pave the way for a better course.

As far as job prospects go, right now we are in the prime job hunting phase of our college year, both looking for and being sought after by ways of careers fairs and guest speakers. All I can say is there is plenty of work out there, and as long as you are willing to lower your standards just a little (Googlers) you will find a job no problem. It might sound cocky but the reality of it is not where will you get a job, but what kind of work your interested in pursuing and to a degree who you would like to work for. At any one time there are thousands of job offers in Ireland, and with companies like HubSpot and Intercom.io opening new offices in Dublin the prospects are ever improving.

I personally chose to pursue computer science not because I loved computers (which I did) but because I wanted to do something challenging and dynamic, similarly to the world of Electronic Engineering, I didn't want to be doing the same thing year after year, CS is a huge area of study, and is ever expanding, so what you learn this year isn't always the same as what lies around the corner. The fundamentals never change but they are the foundations which are used to broaden the horizons, what makes CS dynamic is the seen at the forefront, things like Machine Learning and Virtual Reality are some of the most interesting topics being studied right now.

Thank you so much for this comprehensive reply, everything youre saying sits well with me and just makes me want to do CS even more, just have to focus on getting the points now :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Silver Sniper

Is there a study abroad option in UCD? I know they're big into it in dcu and I'm wondering if you can do that in 3rd year in UCD?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Dave26992

there is indeed, I know a few people who did it last year

Advertisement