Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wiring a new electronic ballast

Options
  • 15-02-2014 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭

daft question alert...

I'm replacing an electronic ballast for a T9 circular fluo bulb & have just realised that the new ballast has connections for live & earth but doesn't seem to have one for neutral. The old ballast has all 3.
    Where if anywhere do I connect the neutral wire? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ShamFeen

Can you post pics please? Most ballasts have some form of diagram on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭useless

here you go. Im expecting the live in the top connection in the grey block, earth in the bottom one. Dont know about the neutral.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Philip82

As far as from I can see from the pic, Live and nuetral in top two and earths in bottom two in grey block. Orange block can take two lamps output. 1,2,3 and 4,5,6. Pretty sure but maybe someone else here can double check to make sure Im right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

that looks to be it

looks like it takes one or two lamps

the edge of the schematic is cut off

sorry for the rubbish photo. The ballast can take multiple different lamps, including 1x T9 32W which is what I want. It was the only one the elec wholesaler had in stock that was suitable for a T9. Probably a couple of quid more expensive too but my Mrs has been nagging me to fix this for months & I wasn't going to argue once the thing works:-)

So, is ~ a "neutral" symbol then? I thought it was "N". Anyway, thanks to Philip & Tom for your help. Will let you know how I get on wiring it up tomorrow.

• Advertisement

That symbol is for A.C (Articulating current). The straight line is DC. (Direct current) It just means the supply must be 230vAC/DC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Yea them ballasts take either 1 lamp on it's own, or 2 together. When 2 are used, they work in series. I used them before although only with two lamps in each fitting.

For a single lamp use terminals 1 and 2 to one set of pins on lamp and 5 and 6 connect to other set of pins I'd say. A photo showing entire ballast would confirm.

Which way around you connect live and neutral to the supply terminals doesn't matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Philip82 wrote: »
    That symbol is for A.C (Articulating current). The straight line is DC. (Direct current) It just means the supply must be 230vAC/DC.

Articulating? Did you mean alternating?

Articulating? Did you mean alternating?

Yes ur right alternating, my mistake!!!

All done. One less thing to be nagged about:D Thanks to everyone for your help!

• Advertisement

does that ballast require an earth to function

some of them did AFAIK and had a leakage current

I see some don't have an earth connection now

does that ballast require an earth to function

some of them did AFAIK and had a leakage current

I see some don't have an earth connection now

the ballast had a terminal marked earth so I connected the earth wire- I didnt try it without the earth.

useless wrote: »
    the ballast had a terminal marked earth so I connected the earth wire- I didnt try it without the earth.

some used to have a functional earth and leakage afaik

I see 2 wire ballasts now with no earth

Advertisement