Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meeting people in Australia

Options
  • 15-02-2014 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Im travelling alone to Australia for a year on a WHV and just wondeing about meeting people, if i stay in a hostel and meet people, would we then try get a house or something together or would we just go off and do our own thing or what way does it all work? would i jus find a apt myself, just want to know about meeting people and what to do after that, yes i know it is a bit of a silly quistion

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

It's all fluid.

You may meet people who you get on really well with and have the roughly the same plans as you (as in they want to get an apt and stay in the same place for a few months or the year) or you may meet people who you get on with but plan to move on in a few weeks.

It's impossible to tell really, you just need to play it as you see it when you get over there.

Hostel life is a bit mad as people stay for a few days (or even a day) or a few months so you may meet and get on great with someone only to find their leaving the next day or staying around after you leave.

My personal experience is that I never moved in with someone I met in a hostel (well not anyone I met in a hostel for the first time). I was living in a place and two people who were also travellers from Ireland moved in and we all got on very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Anthony1993

CatFromHue wrote: »
    It's all fluid.

You may meet people who you get on really well with and have the roughly the same plans as you (as in they want to get an apt and stay in the same place for a few months or the year) or you may meet people who you get on with but plan to move on in a few weeks.

It's impossible to tell really, you just need to play it as you see it when you get over there.

Hostel life is a bit mad as people stay for a few days (or even a day) or a few months so you may meet and get on great with someone only to find their leaving the next day or staying around after you leave.

My personal experience is that I never moved in with someone I met in a hostel (well not anyone I met in a hostel for the first time). I was living in a place and two people who were also travellers from Ireland moved in and we all got on very well.

Ya i know what you mean, i dunno im just worried, i dont want to get home sick or want to come home.. Im not sure where to go yet either sydney or perth. Which would you recomend?? Just worried about going over there not knowing anyone, not knowing where to stay or go about getting work and making friends..Im 20. Have a good bit of different work experience

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭McGeezerr

I'm literally on the exact same boat as you accept I know a few people over along. Nobody I would plan on going over to directly though tbh. Just applied for my WHV while ago :)

McGeezerr wrote: »
    I'm literally on the exact same boat as you accept I know a few people over along. Nobody I would plan on going over to directly though tbh. Just applied for my WHV while ago :)

Well if your looking for a travel buddy id be up for it, but id probally go straight to OZ and after a few months of getting money id go to thailand, ya im waiting to get my passprt back and then ill be apply so hopefully it doesnt take too long.. Id like to go soon but not too soon maybe go by may or so

Well if your looking for a travel buddy id be up for it, but id probally go straight to OZ and after a few months of getting money id go to thailand, ya im waiting to get my passprt back and then ill be apply so hopefully it doesnt take too long.. Id like to go soon but not too soon maybe go by may or so

Yeah same. I would prob go to Oz straight away too still have no job atm. I wanna try get over for July there abouts.

• Advertisement

Yeah same. I would prob go to Oz straight away too still have no job atm. I wanna try get over for July there abouts.

Ahhh thats an absolute pain u have no work, hopefully u will get somewhere, sounds boring but there always looking for kitchen hands in restuarents but its money.. Ya july is good, all depends when u get the money, if u had it before july, youd prob go earlier. Where in the country are u from?? Haha

Ahhh thats an absolute pain u have no work, hopefully u will get somewhere, sounds boring but there always looking for kitchen hands in restuarents but its money.. Ya july is good, all depends when u get the money, if u had it before july, youd prob go earlier. Where in the country are u from?? Haha

Yeah I know waiting on my social welfare aswell is some balls but if that took a few months the back pay would get me out of here. July is meant to be a grand time to go because there is work and it's not too hot. I'm from Cork City myself.

Yeah I know waiting on my social welfare aswell is some balls but if that took a few months the back pay would get me out of here. July is meant to be a grand time to go because there is work and it's not too hot. I'm from Cork City myself.

Ah ya i get ya, hopefully you will get it soon, ah ya it is winter then so would be a good time, before Nd during winter is good, haha do u not like the heat? Ah i see im from clare myself. Did you do your visa on its own, or with the likes of USIT?

Ah ya i get ya, hopefully you will get it soon, ah ya it is winter then so would be a good time, before Nd during winter is good, haha do u not like the heat? Ah i see im from clare myself. Did you do your visa on its own, or with the likes of USIT?

Nah I love the heat I'm quite tanned anyway and I never burn :P

Done it through the govt. site cost me $420 dollars about 280 euros it was granted literally half an hour ago happy days :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Do yourself a favor. Wear sunscreen.

• Advertisement

Done it through the govt. site cost me $420 dollars about 280 euros it was granted literally half an hour ago happy days :)

I'm the exact same i always tan, only burn if its scorching and I don't wear lotion, snd love the hot weather :) oh ya through the imni site i think its called, really 280, i thought it was like 350. Jase they accepted you fair quick haha, are you doing your tfn and bank account when you get to OZ?

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Legend100

I'm the exact same i always tan, only burn if its scorching and I don't wear lotion, snd love the hot weather :)

The sun here is a tad different to at home...even with sunscreen you can burn quite easily here, the uv here is like nothing ive ever experienced anywhere else (and have been to quite a few hot countries). Skin cancer is very prevalent here and the aussies are prob the most cancer conscious people I have ever come across with regards to wearing sunscreen. Actually had a local randomer give out to me on the beach one day as I was a bit burnt, that gives you an indication of how dangerous the sun can be here :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

in a hostel with working people your stuff will get stolen,so lock it up bring a couple small padlocks,and don't leave valuabils in your bag,

as far as meeting people its the same as here
    I notice in bars people want to fight you and then want to be your best friend

you will meet people at work,at bars etc,

I'm the exact same i always tan, only burn if its scorching and I don't wear lotion, snd love the hot weather :) oh ya through the imni site i think its called, really 280, i thought it was like 350. Jase they accepted you fair quick haha, are you doing your tfn and bank account when you get to OZ?

Yeah same I was happy it wasn't a pricey as I thought it was gonna be. Yeah couple of hours heard it can vary though. Yeah I will do the bank account before I get over hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭lyinghere

Stayed in BIG Hostel Sydney for a few months. Made lots of friends and some of us moved into a house together. There were about 20 people living in the Hostel. Would recommend as a way to make friends. It was a crazy experience - but would choose it over moving in with a randomer or two and relying on just those two people for a social life.

lyinghere wrote: »
    Stayed in BIG Hostel Sydney for a few months. Made lots of friends and some of us moved into a house together. There were about 20 people living in the Hostel. Would recommend as a way to make friends. It was a crazy experience - but would choose it over moving in with a randomer or two and relying on just those two people for a social life.

Suppose the mkst important quistion is where to start off in Australia, i want somewhere where i will be able to get work and support myself with that. People say darwin is easy to get work others say sydney, but they say sydney is v expensive, so anyone have recomendations?

Suppose the mkst important quistion is where to start off in Australia, i want somewhere where i will be able to get work and support myself with that. People say darwin is easy to get work others say sydney, but they say sydney is v expensive, so anyone have recomendations?

What I plan on doing is the regional work first generate a good bit of money and move to Sydney

What I plan on doing is the regional work first generate a good bit of money and move to Sydney

You going doing farm work or fruit picking or what u gonna do? any idea where your going to do that?

You going doing farm work or fruit picking or what u gonna do? any idea where your going to do that?

It's probably farm work driving tractors etc. My friend is giving me the contact details of the farmer he done the regional work for in a place called Gatton it's about 1 hour outside Brisbane. It's meant to be grand work and good pay and there is not a whole lot you can blow money on out that way so being smart and saving is easy enough. I know 10-12 lads now that have worked on that farm.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭LoganRice

Try youth centres, societies and classes as well as workplaces and sports clubs. Wear sunscreen often as well as hats and shorts, and don't forget to soak up the sun while you're there, enjoy it

• Advertisement

It's probably farm work driving tractors etc. My friend is giving me the contact details of the farmer he done the regional work for in a place called Gatton it's about 1 hour outside Brisbane. It's meant to be grand work and good pay and there is not a whole lot you can blow money on out that way so being smart and saving is easy enough. I know 10-12 lads now that have worked on that farm.

Ah ya i get ya, jase thats very handy you have contact sources, i dont have a clue where ill do my regional work, i dont know if ill do it in the start or in the middle. Some farms are hard work and **** pay, so its hard to know before u go, but its good ur friends have been there so u know what its like

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Do your regional work first. If you don't, you'll get settled, get some work, have made friends and it will be harder to motivate yourself to go do it afterwards. Imagine you've met someone you like, living in a nice place and then you have to up sticks JUST to do 3 months rural.

Leaving it to the end could mean you struggle to find work with the clock counting down on your WHV. Just get it out of the way and enjoy the rest of your time here.

Minimum wage is $16-17. Anybody I know has been getting $19+ from their rural work, accommodation is usually provided, minimal cost for meals etc.

The downside is that you could be limited to where you can go after work hours if the work is far from the closest town. You won't have you're own vehicle more than likely. If it's a big enough place with lots of other people working there it won't be so bad though.

I don't think the regional work sounds as bad as some people make it out to be. My friend said the regional work he done was the best craic he's had so far and he's there nearly two years now. Then again I suppose it does depend on your job.

would anyone recomend somewhere to do regional work and meet other backpackers aswel?

Im going to do my regional work in Kunununurra WA, its meant to be good and they help you get work and pay is about 750 to 1000 a week, check them out http://www.kununurrabackpackers.com.au/

Im going to do my regional work in Kunununurra WA, its meant to be good and they help you get work and pay is about 750 to 1000 a week, check them out http://www.kununurrabackpackers.com.au/

Feck that gaf looks sick I never heard of it ! Seems to be a good rate per month too at 580 dollars

haha ya i found it there on a irish facebook page for regional work, and i think id do the tree planting and felling. but i want to see if its legit, it seems to be but just to make sure, heres the facebook page

http://www.facebook.com/notes/irish-people-living-in-australia/regional-work-guide/324266391024783

haha ya i found it there on a irish facebook page for regional work, and i think id do the tree planting and felling. but i want to see if its legit, it seems to be but just to make sure, heres the facebook page

http://www.facebook.com/notes/irish-people-living-in-australia/regional-work-guide/324266391024783

Thats very helpful. That while working for food and accommodation seems like a load of bollox ! ha

Thats very helpful. That while working for food and accommodation seems like a load of bollox ! ha

Ya i want to earn money, i aint working 12 hours and not getting paid let alone be in the middle of nowhere,! Any idea what part of Australia your going to do your regional work?

• Advertisement

Ya i want to earn money, i aint working 12 hours and not getting paid let alone be in the middle of nowhere,! Any idea what part of Australia your going to do your regional work?

Not too sure since you showed me Kununurra I've been looking it up and it looks very tempting

Advertisement