Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feb 2014 -Three Trouts river and flooding in field beside Burnaby Lawn

Options
  • 15-02-2014 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭

Anyone who uses the track between Burnaby Lawn and the SAR please be careful as the field is flooded. Actually, it's impassible without a boat! At the moment there is some hedging and a fallen tree across the Three Trouts river and is backed up and diverting into the field.

I've let the management company know for Charlesland Wood. I will also send an email to the Town Council engineer for immediate attention.

2z7lcw9.jpg

33ou05z.jpg

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Isn't that the fishy field WCC paid over €3M for in a CPO a few years ago?
    "Not a floodplain" as they said at the time :pac:
    Vital for future infastructure, future of the town etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭FirstIn

recedite wrote: »
    Isn't that the fishy field WCC paid over €3M for in a CPO a few years ago?
    "Not a floodplain" as they said at the time :pac:
    Vital for future infastructure, future of the town etc. etc.

I don't think so. Isn't the "fishy field" closer to the Kilcoole road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

FirstIn wrote: »
    I don't think so. Isn't the "fishy field" closer to the Kilcoole road.

Yes it is , beside Three Trout Bridge.... Hmmm, on 'mature reflection' ! The council own the field with the boarded up house beside the bridge but further along past the first cottage on the Kilcoole side is a very narrow entrance to a lane way which leads to a field once owned by Mr Irwin, this I believe is the contentious piece, don't know if it's the one pictured, haven't been down there for many a long year!
    Mr Irwin was very much his own man and I remember he stubbornly refused to sell that field , despite very tempting offers, to the developers of Charlesland.. Would have saved the council a lot of angst if he had! He also owned the field at Killincarrig cross recently built on but again refused many offers over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

The land beside Burnaby Mill (the field beside it, the river the SAR) is designated for residential development. Local area plan indicates approximately 117 houses could fit in there. On the map for the development plan there is a green-marked area on both sides of the river from the top of Charlesland down to the estuary at the sea. Should there ever be a problem with flooding, there'd be plenty of space to put in the flood defenses. All it takes is a fallen tree to back everything up!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Zoo4m8 wrote: »
    Yes it is , beside Three Trout Bridge.... Hmmm, on 'mature reflection' ! The council own the field with the boarded up house beside the bridge but further along past the first cottage on the Kilcoole side is a very narrow entrance to a lane way which leads to a field once owned by Mr Irwin, this I believe is the contentious piece, don't know if it's the one pictured, haven't been down there for many a long year!
    Mr Irwin was very much his own man and I remember he stubbornly refused to sell that field , despite very tempting offers, to the developers of Charlesland.. Would have saved the council a lot of angst if he had! He also owned the field at Killincarrig cross recently built on but again refused many offers over the years.

I don't think the council own the boarded up house that once belonged to the Johnston family. It has been set on fire a few times. Ballymore homes bought that house but now it is in the ownership of 2 people. As far as I know the piece of land that the council bought does not border on the road at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

Ok on the house, just going on what David told me,I possibly misunderstood. As I said I understand the field in question is down the lane which of course is not by the road...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

astrofluff wrote: »
    The land beside Burnaby Mill (the field beside it, the river the SAR)
    There is a path from Burnaby Mill to the SAR along the side of the Rugby Club pitches alright, and it emerges near the new plastics factory, but that is not the path referred to. Its the path (across the stepping stones) to Burnaby Lawns
    Zoo4m8 wrote: »
    Yes it is , beside Three Trout Bridge.... Hmmm, on 'mature reflection' ! The council own the field with the boarded up house beside the bridge but further along past the first cottage on the Kilcoole side is a very narrow entrance to a lane way which leads to a field once owned by Mr Irwin, this I believe is the contentious piece
    That's the place. There is a right of way path (Mill Lane) from that boarded up house at the bridge, going along the north side of the stream, which emerges at the new Aldi (and I see they have very kindly tarmacadamed the bit of path next to the shop) Its all high ground, and dry.
    The fishy field lies opposite Mill Lane, on the south side of the stream, where the ground is much lower. If you were looking out one of the back bedroom windows of the houses up in the top (northwest) corner of Ch. Court, you would be looking down on it.

Advertisement