Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom landline (old can't be used / new can't be installed)

Options
  • 15-02-2014 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Few years ago previous owner of my house did a little reconstruction (rooms divided and etc.) now I am trying to get a phone line from eircom just for a broadband but the telephone wire is hidden somewhere in the walls or under the floor such is impossible to guess where it is! The cable going from the main eircom extension box(don't know the proper name of it) under the public footpath and disappearing under my front garden wall with hard concrete floor (this is the last point where it could be traced - extension box is as far as 30cm from the garden brick wall).
    I've ordered the landline and technician from eircom arrived but nothing was done as he believes if old wire going into the house they need to use it and can't install a new line as they can't do anything in my front garden to find the line because they don't do anything on private property, so I am trying to get some help here! as I have no idea where to go with my problem!If I make another order eircom will send another technician and the story will go over (happened twice already - two different guys, two orders)to make it even worst he said I can get the fastest possible broadband as I am in perfect spot! I really need a landline for a efibre broadband but it seems to be impossible. 
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭pbarr

As the Eircom guys have they got a CAT and Genny. If they have one it might be possible to track the path the cable is taking on your property. It'll show where its entering your house and might make it possible to find it inside or you might be able to locate it by digging down next to the outside wall of the house then maybe a new cable could be taken in to the house from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Obecny

pbarr wrote: »
    As the Eircom guys have they got a CAT and Genny. If they have one it might be possible to track the path the cable is taking on your property. It'll show where its entering your house and might make it possible to find it inside or you might be able to locate it by digging down next to the outside wall of the house then maybe a new cable could be taken in to the house from there.
    This is great option but the problem is how to make this guys to use it :) as far there was two eircom technician first one (60+) wasn't even interested to do something, second one very friendly. nice to talk tried to be helpful but kind of powerless in this situation, thinking about to give them a third try and make an order again, maybe there will be some miracle this time :/ 
    thanks anyway 

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭pbarr

Well they should have access to a cat. I used to work for them that's how I know. I suppose the problem is persuading them to use it. Good luck with it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

get a private guy to run new line to eircom boxor pole ,or you can run conduit from outside your house to inside   and put a string on it,the phone box is usually at the side of the house,a s
    small white box I the wall down low next to gas box if you have gas,you could buy a tracer 
    also look under the stairs, and in the hallway near the electrical box,phones always used to come to hall way

http://www.amazon.co.uk/VicTsing%C2%AE-Telephone-Tracker-Network-Ethernet/dp/B00C3CPPHG/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1392580888&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=phone+tracery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Obecny wrote: »
    Few years ago previous owner of my house did a little reconstruction (rooms divided and etc.) now I am trying to get a phone line from eircom just for a broadband but the telephone wire is hidden somewhere in the walls or under the floor such is impossible to guess where it is! The cable going from the main eircom extension box(don't know the proper name of it) under the public footpath and disappearing under my front garden wall with hard concrete floor (this is the last point where it could be traced - extension box is as far as 30cm from the garden brick wall).
    I've ordered the landline and technician from eircom arrived but nothing was done as he believes if old wire going into the house they need to use it and can't install a new line as they can't do anything in my front garden to find the line because they don't do anything on private property, so I am trying to get some help here! as I have no idea where to go with my problem!If I make another order eircom will send another technician and the story will go over (happened twice already - two different guys, two orders)to make it even worst he said I can get the fastest possible broadband as I am in perfect spot! I really need a landline for a efibre broadband but it seems to be impossible. 
    Thanks
    Hi Obecny
    PM me your current line no. or exact address and I can check previous tech notes.
    Tony

• Advertisement
Advertisement