Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charity Shops

Options
  • 15-02-2014 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,230 ✭✭✭

Anybody been to any charity shops in the city? I was in the one in Liosban Estate recently (I think Supporting Autism) and came out feeling depressed. Everything was astray, no effort to tidy things up. Handbags, Bags just left on the floor, books ready to topple over on . Very dark there and very cold.

I could not say anything to the staff as they are all volunteers and very pleasant. But what exactly do the staff do there all day? Can they not see this chaos all around them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

bobbyss wrote: »
    Anybody been to any charity shops in the city? I was in the one in Liosban Estate recently (I think Supporting Autism) and came out feeling depressed. Everything was astray, no effort to tidy things up. Handbags, Bags just left on the floor, books ready to topple over on . Very dark there and very cold.

I could not say anything to the staff as they are all volunteers and very pleasant. But what exactly do the staff do there all day? Can they not see this chaos all around them?

We visit that one regularly, it's not always so disorganized. They have a large shop out in Tuam.

We also visit the SVP shop on Merchants road and the Simon shop out in Briarhill Business Park.

There is also a MADRA unit in westside, looks nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,230 ✭✭✭bobbyss

We visit that one regularly, it's not always so disorganized. They have a large shop out in Tuam.

We also visit the SVP shop on Merchants road and the Simon shop out in Briarhill Business Park.

The Madra one is nice and open, warm and clean with very friendly staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

where in Westside is that unit?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

In the units behind Dunnes, Peter Murph etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

The one on Sea Road is very well maintained by its volunteers. Good stuff too, they sort the good from the junk that people send in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭irishlady29

I agree, it's lovely, real warm and you always get a nice friendly welcome. I could spend an hour easy in the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 tomcoen

There is a very good shop across the road from the G bar. Plenty of clothes and brick a brac, thers is a same collection of books but there is a great selection of house hold goods. I was there a few times always something good in there.
    some one told me the name is as Good as new

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

tomcoen wrote: »
    There is a very good shop across the road from the G bar. Plenty of clothes and brick a brac, thers is a same collection of books but there is a great selection of house hold goods. I was there a few times always something good in there.
    some one told me the name is as Good as new

Some great stuff in there. Bought a faux fur hooded zip up top that had massive tears in the pockets and inside sleeves, and smelled faintly pukey. A good spin cycle and a bit of thread later and it's my new favourite garment. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Dutchess

I have been in the GSPCA one. Animal welfare is the cause dearest to my heart but unfortunately when I was there the shop smelled very strongly of cat urine. I know they have the cattery in the back and they may have limited options, but it just makes it difficult to stick around and browse.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Do any of them have any vinyl by any chance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 laursc321

I've been living in Galway since September, right in the city. I was wondering where other charity shops are because i only know one and thats opposite 4 star pizza near Dominic Street (near the Roisin Dubh). I found a lovely dress in there and wanted to see what other charity shops have as theyre so cheap and can often find unique pieces in them :) Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Some of them come and go, but some that spring to mind are
    SVP shop (The Curiosity Shop) and Irish Cancer Soc, both in Merchants Rd
    Cope and GSPCA, both in St Augustine St
    Another whose name escapes me on the corner of Presentation Rd/Newcastle Rd

edit: Is there still one opposite The Blue Note?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

There's one up a bit further up Sea Road (past The Crane) on the right.

The one on Williams' St West (the one you mention) is a second hand shop as opposed to a charity shop.

Enable Ireland on High Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

laursc321 wrote: »
    I've been living in Galway since September, right in the city. I was wondering where other charity shops are because i only know one and thats opposite 4 star pizza near Dominic Street (near the Roisin Dubh). I found a lovely dress in there and wanted to see what other charity shops have as theyre so cheap and can often find unique pieces in them :) Thanks!

One up in Liosban Ind Est, "Supporting Autism".

Mostly Clothes, some Toys/Books/Other Stuff.

Plus the Simon Shop out in BriarHill..

and the Madra Shop in WestSide.

We had a thread of this recently.

bonzodog2 wrote: »

edit: Is there still one opposite The Blue Note?

That's the one the OP mentioned opp 4 star pizza (second hand shop)

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭dan hibiki

the simon shop in ballybrit ind. estate is quite good furniture-wise and the odd time, has some cool nik-naks.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,200 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

There's a shop in woodquay down from the electrical shop - seems to have a wide range of things.. Think it's affiliated with ACT for meningitis..

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭berrecka

Im not sure the one opposite G-Bar and 4-Star (Good as New?) is a charity shop. I got the impression it was a second-hand shop with no obvious affiliation to any charitable cause, may be wrong though.

There are a few nice ones on Sea Road other than that, and Merchants Road. The one across from the GSPCA is lovely and clean with some high-end looking stuff, though that may just be how the store is laid out.

I think it depends what you are looking for - the central shops in town tend to be smaller and have lots of clothes, books and bits (with the exception of one on Merchants Road which often seems to have lovely furniture too), while the larger ones in the industrial estates will have space for furniture etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

berrecka wrote: »
    Im not sure the one opposite G-Bar and 4-Star (Good as New?) is a charity shop. I got the impression it was a second-hand shop with no obvious affiliation to any charitable cause,

I believe that's correct.

But "2nd-hand shop" is what some people mean when they say "charity shop".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Not technically a charity I believe, but there's a newish place on Sean Mulvoy Rd does 2nd hand clothes. Haven't been in, it's near CT Electric

• Advertisement

A few months back, well over a year ago at this stage a number of CDs went missing from my house. Now I was convinced they had been stolen but my girlfriend thought that they may simply have been sent back to my parents with a few other boxes of stuff. In the Oxfam shop today I had a look through the CD rack and thought to myself that someone with great taste had donated a number of CDs. I saw 9 CDs which were amongst the ones I knew were missing and then I saw an album that I have a signed copy of and was the one I missed the most.

Decided that for 2 euro I'd buy the album and opened it up to discover that the back of the inlay card had a message reading, "Darko, love and happiness man" and beneath it the signature of each member of the band and a few doodles. It had to be my copy as I don't think many people in Galway share my name and would have a signed copy of the CD in question. Did a recheck through the CD rack and found a Dillinger Escape Plan CD that I was missing, all in all I picked up 10 CDs I knew were mine and when the woman took the Dillinger Escape Pan CD out of the case my name was clearly written on a small space on the CD. Cost me 20 euro to get the 10 and there's about 40 CDs that went missing at the same time so hoping that they have them in the back room.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,200 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Hmm. Name and shame would be nice but not really the done thing here.. Hope your other albums show up..

A few months back, well over a year ago at this stage a number of CDs went missing from my house. Now I was convinced they had been stolen but my girlfriend thought that they may simply have been sent back to my parents with a few other boxes of stuff. In the Oxfam shop today I had a look through the CD rack and thought to myself that someone with great taste had donated a number of CDs. I saw 9 CDs which were amongst the ones I knew were missing and then I saw an album that I have a signed copy of and was the one I missed the most.

Decided that for 2 euro I'd buy the album and opened it up to discover that the back of the inlay card had a message reading, "Darko, love and happiness man" and beneath it the signature of each member of the band and a few doodles. It had to be my copy as I don't think many people in Galway share my name and would have a signed copy of the CD in question. Did a recheck through the CD rack and found a Dillinger Escape Plan CD that I was missing, all in all I picked up 10 CDs I knew were mine and when the woman took the Dillinger Escape Pan CD out of the case my name was clearly written on a small space on the CD. Cost me 20 euro to get the 10 and there's about 40 CDs that went missing at the same time so hoping that they have them in the back room.

Did you mention it to the people in the shop? They might, if nothing else do a deal for you. Stolen goods and all. Hope it works out!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Galway K9

Wheres the one in Liosbaun?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ger2ken

Thank you for your kind compliment. We like to hear positive feedback on our shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

ger2ken wrote: »
    Thank you for your kind compliment. We like to hear positive feedback on our shops.
    Hi, if you intend to post in an official capacity for a shop you need to get verified as a shop owner/rep. Please contact hello@boards.ie before posting again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

I love the Madra shop, some serious produce in the Westside one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 everwell

,as far as i know there are no autism charity shops in galway or tuam .please ,please .ask for their registration no ,you have a right to know what your donation'g to where the money is going ,you will be very surprised, what you will be told .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Sea road, next to Jes church, has Simon shop and gorta self help shop. My fave is Simon shop in briarhill. They will collect furniture from you for free. Large book and clothes section upstairs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,230 ✭✭✭bobbyss

everwell wrote: »
    ,as far as i know there are no autism charity shops in galway or tuam .please ,please .ask for their registration no ,you have a right to know what your donation'g to where the money is going ,you will be very surprised, what you will be told .

Am pretty sure the sign read Autism Shop for the shop on the corner in Liosban. it has closed since I believe.
    All charity shops should have monthly/yearly reports freely available. Maybe they do?

I would feel a bit odd after buying a book for €1 to ask for a registration number. What would we be told anyway? All these things should be clearly posted in all charity shops anyway.

It has been a long time since I was in Oranmore Shopping Centre but I do recall a shop on the left as you enter. I was in it a few times. May even have dropped off some items for it. Can't remember for the life of me what charity it was?

Advertisement