Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to Start Online Business

Options
  • 15-02-2014 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hey Everyone,

I have an idea for an online business.

Basically looking for some step by step guide to starting this kind of business or some check list that needs to done.

Looking to investigate if this idea can be turned into reality...

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 benny306

Here's a list from entrepreneur.com http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/175242

I would try to evaluate my idea first. Some general questions I would ask myself.

- Is there a market for your product or service? Use Google's Keyword planner to see if people are searching for your idea, or something similar. Is there enough demand?
    - Is there strong competition? Are there any big players that you would have trouble competing directly with? If so maybe so have to go with an even more niche idea.
    - Start small. Don't try to be the biggest right off the start. Start small, concentrate on quality.
    -Read the forums here and across the web. Reddit has an r/startups section as well, check that out.
    -Don't be afraid to post your idea and get feedback. No one is going to steal it.

All the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭EIREHotspur

Marty

Is it a Service or Goods?

If you are going to sell online you need to know:

Is there a Big company who do what I do online?
    For instance if you want to sell CDs/Books how would you compete with Amazon.co.uk

You need:
    a website domain name, website hosting and a website designed obviously.

Would you be able to take product photos yourself and have the skills to update your products and website yourself or someone who works for you to do it for you?
    This is very important because only you can drive the online Business every day and it would cost a lot to outsource this every time you need to update.

Get a facebook page, twitter account, linkedin and youtube account for advertising your services/goods website.
    Then you can also link those together so for instance every time you update an offer on your Shooping Facebook page it automatically updates twitter with that offer.

Also you could advertise your goods on donedeal.ie and adverts.ie as a means of driving people to your website shop.

This is another tip I give everyone I advise....when you decide a domain name....lets say Ireland Soaps...and your Domain name is irelandsoaps.ie
    When you tell someone what your company/business is...it is irelandsoaps.ie
    That way you only have to explain yourself in one sentence.

That's a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Speak to an accountant.
    While doing all the paperwork isn't exactly "exciting" it's a necessary evil.

You also need to know if the numbers make sense.

You might think you have a fantastic idea, but when you run the numbers you could discover that it just won't work.

Bear in mind - if you're selling goods you'll also have to deal with distance selling rules, shipping and returns. And of course suppliers.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Marty101

Thanks for all the really good info.

The idea is more of a service.
    Income would be driven through:
    - membership
    - calendar events
    - advertising
    - commission

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Bugatti

Best of luck with it Marty! Just a few questions. Is this something you will just be doing part time in the beginning or will this be a full time business for you right from the start? Are you developing the site? Would there be anything that would require legal advice? The good thing about an online business is that if you really try you can keep the costs extremely low at the start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭jt_dublin

Hi,

This book might also be helpful. I read it and found it full of very good content and gives lots of real world examples. The reviews on Amazon would see to agree with this.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Digital-Business-Start-Up-Workbook-Step--ebook/dp/B007SIFG7Y/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1392820421&sr=1-1&keywords=B007SIFG7Y

Good luck with your venture.

JT

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 24 ejohnl

Marty101 wrote: »
    Hey Everyone,

I have an idea for an online business.

Basically looking for some step by step guide to starting this kind of business or some check list that needs to done.

Looking to investigate if this idea can be turned into reality...

Cheers
    You can read these tips from Brian Haines
    Check this - http://onlinebusiness.about.com/od/onlinebusiness101/a/startinganonlinebusiness.htm

Advertisement