Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waiting for exchanged item to come into stock

Options
  • 15-02-2014 4:21pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

I was given a gift of an iPad Air 16gb wifi + cellular for Christmas. It was purchased in Power City. I wanted to change it for the 32gb model, so went out to the shop just after Christmas. It wasn't in stock and I was advised that it could be a few weeks before it came in as Apple aren't great communicators and they wouldn't know it was coming till it arrived. He said to watch their website and as soon as it came in it would be posted there and I could come out and exchange it. He also said that they have a 28 day exchange policy so if it wasn't in within that time frame, I would have to back and get a credit note (they don't do refunds on Apple products, which is totally fair and I wasn't expecting one anyway). The 28 day time limit was approaching so we went back and got the credit note. Again we were advised it was just a waiting game.

Two weeks ago, I went back out to the shop and was advised that the model I wanted would be a special order and wouldn't normally be in stock, it would have to ordered. He ordered it for me then. Said it would be in by the end of the week and he'd ring to let us know. He rang on Wednesday just gone and said it was in the warehouse and he'd have it by Friday. Went in on Friday to collect and pay the €90 difference and there was no iPad. He said it would be in later that day or else today (Saturday) and he'd ring. I'd heard nothing so rang today and there's still no sign of it. The guy on the phone couldn't even see it on the system, but said it may be in on Monday. He'd ring me then.

I'm getting a little tired of it now. I understand that they were under no obligation to exchange it, but it's been 7 weeks since I initially asked for an exchange and they have my money and I've no iPad. I don't have any worry about Power City running off with my money, but at this stage, I'd like to either have it back or have my iPad. Do I have any rights here? Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

WildRosie wrote: »
    I was given a gift of an iPad Air 16gb wifi + cellular for Christmas. It was purchased in Power City. I wanted to change it for the 32gb model, so went out to the shop just after Christmas. It wasn't in stock and I was advised that it could be a few weeks before it came in as Apple aren't great communicators and they wouldn't know it was coming till it arrived. He said to watch their website and as soon as it came in it would be posted there and I could come out and exchange it. He also said that they have a 28 day exchange policy so if it wasn't in within that time frame, I would have to back and get a credit note (they don't do refunds on Apple products, which is totally fair and I wasn't expecting one anyway). The 28 day time limit was approaching so we went back and got the credit note. Again we were advised it was just a waiting game.

Two weeks ago, I went back out to the shop and was advised that the model I wanted would be a special order and wouldn't normally be in stock, it would have to ordered. He ordered it for me then. Said it would be in by the end of the week and he'd ring to let us know. He rang on Wednesday just gone and said it was in the warehouse and he'd have it by Friday. Went in on Friday to collect and pay the €90 difference and there was no iPad. He said it would be in later that day or else today (Saturday) and he'd ring. I'd heard nothing so rang today and there's still no sign of it. The guy on the phone couldn't even see it on the system, but said it may be in on Monday. He'd ring me then.

I'm getting a little tired of it now. I understand that they were under no obligation to exchange it, but it's been 7 weeks since I initially asked for an exchange and they have my money and I've no iPad. I don't have any worry about Power City running off with my money, but at this stage, I'd like to either have it back or have my iPad. Do I have any rights here? Thanks.

No, you have no rights in this situation, they don't just have your money, you have a voucher for that amount which can be redeemed at the shop. This is a change of mind rather than a product fault. They gave you a credit note which they didn't have to do and they have a 28 day exchange policy , so you could have exchanged it for anything else they have in stock. I'm sure if they could get the iPad for you they would as it is of no benefit to them not to.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 585 ✭✭✭WildRosie

davo10 wrote: »
    This is a change of mind rather than a product fault. They gave you a credit note which they didn't have to do and they have a 28 day exchange policy , so you could have exchanged it for anything else they have in stock.
    Thank you, I'm aware of that, I stated it in my post.

The documentation I have from them clearly states that the credit is for an iPad Air 32gb wifi + cellular. I have paid them the €90 difference for that product. I am a reasonable person, but if I had been told at the beginning that it needed to be ordered, rather than watching their website for 5 weeks as advised (more than once), I'd probably have it by now.
    davo10 wrote: »
    I'm sure if they could get the iPad for you they would as it is of no benefit to them not to.
    You could apply that rationale to numerous scenarios, however with little evidence to back it up in this situation, I am sceptical, plus it's not very helpful. Even if their intentions are good (which I have no doubt that they are), it's the poor communication and general lack of customer service that has let them down. I've not complained because I've never had problems with Power City before, I've always found them to be knowledgable and helpful. Anyway, I've just spoken with the sales person I was dealing with, it was delayed because of the weather, fair enough, and it'll definitely be in on Monday. I live in hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Sorry Rosie, I hadn't picked up in your OP that you have already paid the €90 difference, only that you had gone to the shop to pick up the iPad and were then to pay the difference when in stock. I still think that they deserve some credit for accepting a change of mind and it is conceivable that there is a delay on apple products, they are just a little bit popular ya know.

Advertisement