Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone use Eirsat (good or bad)

Options
  • 15-02-2014 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

Hi all,

Apologies if this has been asked before but I couldn't see any related threads when I searched.

I am about to move from a UPC area to a non-UPC area. I was looking at some of the cable / satellite options that are available and one that I saw was Eirsat. I tried to find some review info online but I couldn't find anything.

I was wondering if anyone uses it and if so, what are your thoughts on it. The lack of a subscription is very attractive, but if the service / signal is poor then it is off the shortlist.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Tony

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

Eirsat are just an installation company. The channels they provide are all free-to-air & the equipment to receive them is widely available from other installers or for DIY.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Toeuptony

Thanks for the reply Peter.

Do you know if the free to air satellite service has good picture quality and is it reliable?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

It's the same satellite feeds as used by Sky's subscription service so, yes it's reliable, provided the installation at your house is properly done. Same goes for the Saorview terrestrial aerial install, if you want the Irish channels.

I can't say I've ever watched much on UPC, so can't say how PQ compares. With the satellite channels, there can be a fair amount of variation, due to differing bitrates among services. Channel 5's SD-only free-to-air offering has come in for some criticism in this respect.

BBC 1, 2, 3 & 4 all have free HD versions, also ITV & Channel 4. RTE1 & 2 are HD on Saorview.

Advertisement