Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Broadband

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

aujopimur wrote: »
    My daughter has this, it's very good, I signed up with O2, by moving the modum around to get a good signal, all is well so far.

The poster is referring to Vodafone Fibre fixed line broadband not a mobile product.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Gummybear2013

Yes i not talking about a modem sorry confusion :)

Just have the broadband installed there and its been the best thing we ever got vodafone my area is great its such a fast connection crazy different than with network 3 modem good bye to that never want use that crap again haha

Just have the broadband installed there and its been the best thing we ever got vodafone my area is great its such a fast connection crazy different than with network 3 modem good bye to that never want use that crap again haha

Yeah there's a BIT of a difference alright lol

Glad you're enjoying it! First time Eircom has launched a decent platform in a VERY long time.

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Yeah there's a BIT of a difference alright lol

Glad you're enjoying it! First time Eircom has launched a decent platform in a VERY long time.

Lol its very good alright such difference and here me thinking i was all cool with network 3 modem ha but this is way better now :) can only imagine what upc 200mp be like so fast. Oh i didnt know vodafone is from eircom is it?

• Advertisement

Should i be worried about going over unlimited broadband for the playstation 3 my boyfriend going be using it now to download some games and play against people online he said wont be on it loads but i hope wont go over unlimited or does unlimited mean never ends regardless of how much use?

Lol its very good alright such difference and here me thinking i was all cool with network 3 modem ha but this is way better now :) can only imagine what upc 200mp be like so fast. Oh i didnt know vodafone is from eircom is it?

Yeah it uses eircom's wholesale 'Next Generation Access' network. That's basically the fibre cabinets they've installed over the last few months.

Several companies use it to deliver 'fibre' services. The main exception is UPC which runs on entirely independent infrastructure .

The national backbone network and international connectivity would be provided by Vodafone itself though so it's not just re-badged 'eircom efibre' but it uses the same local network to reach your house.

Vodafone unlimited Fibre is subject to a fair usage policy. You're extremely unlikely to ever hit that. They usually all reserve the right to charge or throttle speeds where a customer uses so much data that it might cause congestion. Your data use would need to be absolutely crazy high to cause that to kick in.

Yeah it uses eircom's wholesale 'Next Generation Access' network. That's basically the fibre cabinets they've installed over the last few months.

Several companies use it to deliver 'fibre' services. The main exception is UPC which runs on entirely independent infrastructure .

The national backbone network and international connectivity would be provided by Vodafone itself though so it's not just re-badged 'eircom efibre' but it uses the same local network to reach your house.

Vodafone unlimited Fibre is subject to a fair usage policy. You're extremely unlikely to ever hit that. They usually all reserve the right to charge or throttle speeds where a customer uses so much data that it might cause congestion. Your data use would need to be absolutely crazy high to cause that to kick in.

Ah i understand now thanks for that i just seen there on their website 300gb fair usage which is loads and i am sure playing games on playstation wont even go to that do you think?
    What i confused about it says 300gb fair usage policy but says if go over this no charge mabey you can make sense of it i copied and paste whole part from vodafone website

The term Gigabyte is used to talk about the amount of usage you get included with your home broadband package. Most of our products come with unlimited usage so you never need to worry about limits but some of our entry level products do have a usage allowance and these are designed for people that don't have a great need to use the internet all the time, for example people who use the internet to check email, book flights, chat with friends on Skype etc.

To give a real example: 20GB of data would allow you to download over 4,000 songs from a site such as iTunes per month.

For people who watch Netflix or stream video such as RTE player, download demo Xbox games or spend a lot of time online we would really recommend our unlimited packages.

*Unlimited usage allowances are subject to a fair usage policy (FUP) of 300GB. The service is truly unlimited and there is no charge and no service degradation of any sort that takes place for exceeding the 300GB FUP. The FUP only exists to allow Vodafone to contact a customer if we notice something unusual - like usage that is driving very high internet traffic volumes, such as a PC virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Anybody got Vodafone 4G or any of the other 4G mobile devices in the city? If so, how's the speed?

Ah i understand now thanks for that i just seen there on their website 300gb fair usage which is loads and i am sure playing games on playstation wont even go to that do you think?
    What i confused about it says 300gb fair usage policy but says if go over this no charge mabey you can make sense of it i copied and paste whole part from vodafone website

The term Gigabyte is used to talk about the amount of usage you get included with your home broadband package. Most of our products come with unlimited usage so you never need to worry about limits but some of our entry level products do have a usage allowance and these are designed for people that don't have a great need to use the internet all the time, for example people who use the internet to check email, book flights, chat with friends on Skype etc.

To give a real example: 20GB of data would allow you to download over 4,000 songs from a site such as iTunes per month.

For people who watch Netflix or stream video such as RTE player, download demo Xbox games or spend a lot of time online we would really recommend our unlimited packages.

*Unlimited usage allowances are subject to a fair usage policy (FUP) of 300GB. The service is truly unlimited and there is no charge and no service degradation of any sort that takes place for exceeding the 300GB FUP. The FUP only exists to allow Vodafone to contact a customer if we notice something unusual - like usage that is driving very high internet traffic volumes, such as a PC virus.

Yeah, I think that's similar to how eircom and UPC are operating 'unlimited' too.

Basically just a T&C to ensure they can actually intervene if someone's running a huge server on a domestic line or something and choking capacity on the network.

There's a lot of terms thrown around.

Speed is measured in Mbit/s (Megabits per second)
    Some browsers will measure downloads in MB/s megabyte per second. 1 MB/s = 8Mbit/s

Then you find that ISPs often get the terminology totally wrong and call them "Megabytes" when they mean "Megabits per second" or just "Megabit/s" as they get called sometimes.

Data usage is usually measured in Gigabytes (GB) or in Megabytes (MB) (usually on mobile broadband plans with low limits).

An entire DVD only holds 4.7GB

Typical hard drives at present are usually 250, 500 GB or 1000GB (1TB).

So, 300GB / month is a fair bit and you can exceed it by the looks of it without much fuss.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I think that's similar to how eircom and UPC are operating 'unlimited' too.

Basically just a T&C to ensure they can actually intervene if someone's running a huge server on a domestic line or something and choking capacity on the network.

Ah that is grand so i wont be doing that just surfing the internet and all so i should have no problem with it then :) I am loving it alot so far best thing ever

Advertisement