Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spanish language

Options
  • 15-02-2014 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭

hi all,

im interested in learning Spanish or Italian, im told both are similar and if you can speak one you can understand words of the other.

If you put the effort into for example learning Spanish how long before a person would be a fluent speaker

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

Hi, I'm learning Spanish and find apps/ sites like duolingo.com useful. It's free and you can learn Spanish, Italian and a few other European languages

Michel Thomas has a unique method of teaching , you may find some YouTube vids or his language programme online.
    As regards to fluency, I was told by the end of 1st year. I guess it depends on what level of fluency...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

bbc uk has free lessons

Italian is like Portuguese

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭davwain

bbc uk has free lessons

Italian is like Portuguese

I would say Spanish is as much like Portuguese as Bulgarian is to Russian. My Portuguese isn't around an intermediate level, but with my ability to speak Spanish around an intermediate level, my Portuguese is better than that of absolute beginners.

Among Romance languages, Romanian is the least like any I have learned. Last week, when I met with a Moldovan looking to improve his English, I struggled to communicate to him in Spanish, but had slightly better luck (albeit not much) with my limited Russian-speaking ability. It's too bad not all Romance languages are as alike as Portuguese and Spanish appear to be.

Advertisement