Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N59 road signs

Options
  • 15-02-2014 9:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭

Whats going on with the N59 road signs between Galway and Moycullen?
    First they put up the big green signs with Moycullen, Barna, Galway etc in both English and Irish. Then they painted over the English names which looked kinda stupid. Now they have taken away the big green signs and replaced them with smaller Irish only signs, well actually I only saw a 'Bearna' sign so far. All that money for an 'e'? Are we copying the Dingle/Daingean crowd? Not confusing to the tourists at all.
    I thought our council was broke so why are we wasting money on replacing perfectly good signs with other signs that have less information?

Strange but there is also a brand new sign just past the Westwood saying Lough Corrib 29km. If you look right of that sign, Lough Corrib is stretching out right below you about a mile away as the crow flies. Do they mean Lough Corrib for the next 29km?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 ChoppyNagle

Now they have taken away the big green signs and replaced them with smaller Irish only signs, well actually I only saw a 'Bearna' sign so far. All that money for an 'e'? Are we copying the Dingle/Daingean crowd? Not confusing to the tourists at all.
    I'm sure tourists visiting Ireland aren't going to complain about Irish being used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

I'm sure tourists visiting Ireland aren't going to complain about Irish being used.

First post Choppy? So can you answer my questions e.g. why are we wasting money on replacing perfectly good signs (with both Irish & English) with other signs that only have Irish?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 ChoppyNagle

First post Choppy? So can you answer my questions e.g. why are we wasting money on replacing perfectly good signs (with both Irish & English) with other signs that only have Irish?

Didn't realise there was a post requirement to reply in the thread, apologies.

I don't know but I would assume it's because if departments don't piss their entire budget away they get it cut next time around. It' the reason for most unnecessary spending.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

I don't know but I would assume it's because if departments don't piss their entire budget away they get it cut next time around. It' the reason for most unnecessary spending.

But surely unnecessary spending wouldn't make things worse? There was nothing wrong with the original signs but there are loads of potholes to be fixed. And I thought both Galway councils were heavily over budget in 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Starie1975

Will disagree with one point.

Road signs for all villages/towns in the Gealtachta - It is essential to use the Irish version of the Gealtacht place name as specified in the Place names Order, Bearna being in the Gealtacht.

As for the rest of it - What an absolute waste of our money.

Examples

1. Lough Corrib one you mentioned.

2. For every single side road off the N59 there is a sign for the village – yes good idea. When you approach the N59 from same side road there is a massive sign < Clifden – Galway >. One such village has two houses, there are about 600 yards off the N59. It’s basically a drive way into a house. But just in case there families who have lived here for a few generations forget which direction Galway city is there now have a Road sign to point them in the general direction.

3. Loads of other signs replaced – see attached photos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

just a wild cynical guess... any councillor's relation in the business of sign making? I hate being cynical, I prefer to be trusting and open minded but I now admit that this wouldn't be out of place in this wee wink n' nod land

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

Those signs when one approaches the N59 at night are bloody dangerous, and annoying.

Notices that sign for the corrib yesterday.
    not to mention a bloody waste of money

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Starie1975

The larger sign was removed yesterday. I received a tweet from a man who erected the sign, he was called yesterday ask asked to take one down. The photo was featured on joe.ie

I wonder if we start a campaign on potholes and bumps, post photos, see if they'll get magically repaired by the morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

Starie1975 wrote: »
    I wonder if we start a campaign on potholes and bumps, post photos, see if they'll get magically repaired by the morning?

could try fixyourstreet.ie for reporting stuff to the Councils

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Starie1975 wrote: »
    The larger sign was removed yesterday. I received a tweet from a man who erected the sign, he was called yesterday ask asked to take one down. The photo was featured on joe.ie

FWIW, I've had results with suburban rubbish bins that needed emptying just by Twittering a photo to the city council.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

I notice too that the irish version is facing galway and the english facing connemara . Would it not make sense for tourist to see the english version on the way back so they recognise where they are going from the map ? Or am I making any sense ?
    There is a fine one at the head of my road so ill never forget which way galway is again :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

I thought that madness had been stopped by multi-annual budgetting plans.

Really silly system

Advertisement