Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting kids with ponies

Options
  • 15-02-2014 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭

Im just looking for people's experiences with introducing ponies to their kids. I'm at that stage.

At what age did your kids start riding/ get their first pony?
    At what age could they be more responsible for the care of the pony and tack up alone ?
    At what age were they able to go to local shows and later further away shows that involved a long day or overnight?
    Did they show an interest immediately or does it develop?

And finally want are people's experiences with finding suitable ponies?
    I find that many of the 128 I see at shows are more willing to land their pilots than jump the fence. I imagine finding a pony sweet enough and keeping it sweet is the biggest challenge.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

marizpan wrote: »
    Im just looking for people's experiences with introducing ponies to their kids. I'm at that stage.

At what age could they be more responsible for the care of the pony and tack up alone ?
    At what age were they able to go to local shows and later further away shows that involved a long day or overnight?

I find that many of the 128 I see at shows are more willing to land their pilots than jump the fence. I imagine finding a pony sweet enough and keeping it sweet is the biggest challenge.
    Thanks

Hi OP, I don't have kids myself but may be able to answer some of the questions.
    1) it really depends on the kid. I've seen two year olds and I've seen 5 year olds starting. If you think your child can sit on a pony, even just being led, without panicking, then they'll be fine.
    2) Again, it depends on the child but no child should be left unsupervised with a pony I personally think, until they are mature and strong enough to handle a bad situation.
    3) that's entirely personal. Overnight stays are tiring and exciting so bare that in mind. If your child can handle the excitement, then work away. Most local shows have lead rein classes and small jumping classes for youngsters (both human and equine) which should be fine at nearly any age.
    4) once again, it depends on the child but both happen!
    5) like any pony or horse bring bought, there is always ones that will not suit which is why you need a trial. You need one small enough for your child to handle, but not too small it gets grown out of it. I wouldn't dismiss a pony that's a bit cheeky either. A completely safe, bombproof, push the button pony seems lovely but the best riders had cheeky ponies at some stage. Of course, you don't one too dangerous either.
    Bare in mind though, you don't have to buy a pony straight away, take the kid to lessons so you have a better idea as to what will suit and whether there is an interest or not :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

At what age did your kids start riding/ get their first pony? We started both our girls at 4 but on riding school ponies in an indoor arena.

At what age could they be more responsible for the care of the pony and tack up alone ? My oldest is nearly 11 and I still help her to tack up one particular pony, but with our other lad my 8 year old can tack him up.

At what age were they able to go to local shows and later further away shows that involved a long day or overnight? They were jumping at shows from 5 or 6 but you can't put an age on it, some just pick it up quicker than others and are more confident jumping.

Did they show an interest immediately or does it develop? My oldest has been horse / pony crazy for as long as i can remember. Youngest came late to it and her interest in weaning a small bit but come dry weather she'll be all over it again.

Best of luck finding a safe 128 pony!! We were looking for a long time / tried out a good few before we got our first one. Its worth waiting and paying that little bit extra for something that you are going to trust with your childs life! We have a lad at home that you could put a complete beginner on and not worry one bit then take them off and put a competent child on and go out and jump a 90cm course. He's as happy walking around as he is jumping, will stand for hours being groomed or clipped!

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭marizpan

Thanks Charlie,
    It's very helpful. I reckon the challenge is getting a nice pony.

A cheeky pony is fine later on (maybe) but for a first and second pony I want safe and fun. A bad experience now will put them off ponies for life.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

A cheeky pony is fine later on (maybe) but for a first and second pony I want safe and fun. A bad experience now will put them off ponies for life.

Hi OP, sorry, I should have been clearer. I was speaking about getting the child a few lessons and have them able to control and jump (even small) a pony before buying one. That way you know the interest is there too, and you don't need to worry so much about getting a completely perfect little pony to teach them basics. I agree, a bad experience within early stages will put them off, but not so much when they are already riding and definitely want a pony.
    We have had two great ponies, one 10hh teenager who you could do anything with. The kids who own him have thrown themselves about the place on him (including off, after being 'shot by cowboys') and it never phased him. The other was a 12.2hh pony. He was only a youngster but I could walk into the field after months of him not being ridden and hop onto his back with only a head collar and leadrope and it wouldn't bother him in the slightest. So yeah, great ponies exist, don't give up on that :)

sup_dude wrote: »
    Hi OP, sorry, I should have been clearer. I was speaking about getting the child a few lessons and have them able to control and jump (even small) a pony before buying one. That way you know the interest is there too, and you don't need to worry so much about getting a completely perfect little pony to teach them basics. I agree, a bad experience within early stages will put them off, but not so much when they are already riding and definitely want a pony.
    We have had two great ponies, one 10hh teenager who you could do anything with. The kids who own him have thrown themselves about the place on him (including off, after being 'shot by cowboys') and it never phased him. The other was a 12.2hh pony. He was only a youngster but I could walk into the field after months of him not being ridden and hop onto his back with only a head collar and leadrope and it wouldn't bother him in the slightest. So yeah, great ponies exist, don't give up on that :)

That's good suggestions.
    The reason way I'm not bothered about riding school lessons is that I'm at home riding my own anyway. It's easier and better for the kids to have a pony to ride with me and attend shows as a family in lead rein and newcomer classes this year.

Im not fond of riding school ponies. They are generally, but not always, naughty and cheeky.
    I imagine its easier to learn on a pony not used in a school as they can get dead to the leg/ reins and can be too programmed to work independent.

I'd like the kids to ride 10 mins a day than 60 mins on a sat, plus learn about care, grooming etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

*My daughter started riding at 3.5 yrs old & got first pony @ 5yrs old.

* when she turned 6, well able to groom, put on rug & saddle , still needs help with bridle as mare acts like a giraffe!

At 6 & 7 she has done plenty of local shows, at is up as early as needed! Generally she is so excited so is up long before she needs to be.

* She has always had an interest, will ride in any weather condition & spends more time at yard than she does at home"!

* Finding the right pony is the biggest challenge, first pony was a cracking lead rein but when my daughter progressed and went off lead rein problems started, napping, bucking etc - not safe on road off lead rein. My advice would be look for a first ridden you can put on the lead rein rather than looking for a pure lead rein as many are not suitable to make transition to first ridden.

Pony now is a gem - Cheeky at times but nothing dangerous.. my daughter even went hunting on her for first time this year! & she will be jumping 70's at SJI shows this year, she is also a machine XC & brilliantly behaved in open spaces... Pony was NOT cheap but tbh Im glad I spent what I did for peace of mind.

I disagree what you said re Riding Schools, I found it was brilliant for my daughter & makes it more fun when they are riding with other children.

Thanks Marley.
    That was very helpful info. I might try some pony camps this summer. As that would be fun.
    We bought a pony in the last few days. This is our second one. The first was a cheeky lead rein. He is very quite and gentle. Perfect lead rein and I am riding him to school him etc so be should make a suitable first ridden in time.
    Where did you source the tiny girths these ponies need?
    I bought the smallest in the shop, a 32'' and its miles too long!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

Rhinestone in Ashford are superb for small pony stuff & if they dont have what you need they will order it in for you.
    Thanks Marley.
    That was very helpful info. I might try some pony camps this summer. As that would be fun.
    We bought a pony in the last few days. This is our second one. The first was a cheeky lead rein. He is very quite and gentle. Perfect lead rein and I am riding him to school him etc so be should make a suitable first ridden in time.
    Where did you source the tiny girths these ponies need?
    I bought the smallest in the shop, a 32'' and its miles too long!

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭LoveChanel

Thanks

1) I started horse riding when I was four and I give lessons too my cousin who is now three and trots around the arena off the lead rein. The younger they start the better. I got my first pony at 8 but I was riding the pony a year and a half at the riding school before I bought her.

2) my cousin is very involved. She is already grooming the pony before she rides. She leads the pony to a large multi step mounting block and get on (of course I hold the ponies reins while she gets on) She also gives the pony hay after we untack the pony and put her in the stable. In my experience kids loveeee helping to look after their ponies! I started Tacking up alone At about 6ish. Sometimes ponies will put their heads up so kids cant get the bridle on. The cute little buggers
    3)I did my first lead rein competition at 4. 3 seems to be the age to start lead rein shows. Also join the local pony club its great for kids. They learn horse care stable management everything. 7-8 seems to be the age they start jumping in new comers classes.

4) I wouldn't jump the gun and start planning on their glittering show jumping career just yet. Some kids are competitive and love competing others horse ride just to around horses. My bet advice don't push them too hard thats the quickest way to turn them off horses. I have seen it happen to my friends and loads of other kids I know

5) i was hooked on horses from the day I got my rocking horse. It was a natural progression onto the real thing and I haven't looked back. Make sure that in the early years they get the most positive experiences with ponies as possible. So they don't give up the ponies.

7) I bought a 13.2 and I got thousands of tumbles from her. I could easily get knocked 6 times in one day. I was riding that pony well over a year before I bought her. But i loved the challenge of bold ponies I still do. The smaller the pony the more wicked they can be! DONT BE SCARED TO BUY A VETERN PONY! They have so much experience and more patience with young children. My cousin rides a 23 year old 12.2 pony mare and she is the safest thing after a teddy bear. Don't buy some young pony that rising 5. Over the age of 12 is great because the chances are the pony has seen it all. Again join the pony club you don't necessarily need a pony to join. The benefit of this is that kids are always growing out of ponies and people in pony club tend to buy each others ponies as they know the pony and what the pony is like. Its also easier to sell the pony when your kids grow out of their pony.

Advertisement