Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[Nostalgia] Remember when RTÉ showed live 3pm Premier League matches?

• 15-02-2014 10:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭

I do. I was there for Dean Marney's brace for Spurs. I was there for Gabriel Heinze scoring a sloppy goal against Lea Ferdinand's Bolton. I was there for the David Bentley show against United at Old Trafford. Also Robben and Duff.

Anybody else remember the season of Peter Collins?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Finical

I remember Andy Johnson scoring against Liverpool for Palace. :(

Good times though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

I was there for the 3:30pm full delayed coverage

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Soups123 wrote: »

And running to Spar to check the Rte guide to see who was being shown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Remember when RTE used to show the FA Cup final? It hasn't been on Irish TV for donkey's years now; surprised TV3 never showed it, with their close links to ITV. Anyone know why the Irish channels don't show it anymore?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I do. I was there for Dean Marney's brace for Spurs. I was there for Gabriel Heinze scoring a sloppy goal against Lea Ferdinand's Bolton. I was there for the David Bentley show against United at Old Trafford. Also Robben and Duff.

For some reason my abiding memories of this are Bolton vs Manchester United games. There's a 2-2 in my head, might be the below game actually:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I may be wrong here but I don't think RTE showed any 3pm games between 1992 and about 2003.
    Those games you mentioned above seem to fit that category.

Up until 1992 RTE used to show 3pm games and even other games deemed to be important enough regardless of time, they showed the 1989 Liverpool v Arsenal game on the Friday night for instance.

But in 1992 they had to move to 3.30pm full delayed coverage and very soon afterwards they stopped altogether.

Until the early to mid '00s where they had some arrangements with Setanta to alternate 3pm games live.

Edit - Just rereading the OP now.
    Of course Heinze, Duff, Robben etc would have been from that mid '00s incarnation of 3pm games on RTE' not the earlier pre 1992 version that I thought you were talking about.
    Sorry OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I remember watching the Hillsboro Semi-Final

efb wrote: »
    I remember watching the Hillsboro Semi-Final

They even showed Leicester City v Palace in Div 2 in 1988, because the game they were to cover,Derby Co. V Liverpool, was called off.
    It was a 4-4 classic.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I have vague memories of Ipswich playing, also Nottingham Forest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Laurent Robert v Liverpool at SJP, that is all.

Odd memory of Leon McKenzie playing for Norwich against Manchester United as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I can't clarify for sure that I was there but I remember that goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

None of these were shown live on rte were they? I remember the delayed kick offs alright. edit: Maybe they were ahhhh can't remember!

The David Bentley show was not at OT as far as I remember, it was at Ewood park 4-3 the final score

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

pfffft remember Dutch football on RTE????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Trilla wrote: »
    None of these were shown live on rte were they? I remember the delayed kick offs alright. edit: Maybe they were ahhhh can't remember!

The David Bentley show was not at OT as far as I remember, it was at Ewood park 4-3 the final score

It might have been Pedersen actually now that you remind me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I remember the games on RTE.....it was great watching live games - no matter who was playing. Seems a long time ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Pubs would attempt to go into lockdown mode, and woe betide any cnut who'd walk in and say 'Giggs is about to score'.

Also because RTE didn't want the match running until 5.20pm they used to do spectacular chops in the second half, so Daveeed Ginola could equalise in the 82nd minute and it would be quickly followed by the final whistle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Paully D wrote: »
    For some reason my abiding memories of this are Bolton vs Manchester United games. There's a 2-2 in my head, might be the below game actually

The only one I remember is a game involving Man United and Bolton where there were two late goals in like the last two minutes of injury time. It was quite something but I don't recall much beyond that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

The only one I remember is a game involving Man United and Bolton where there were two late goals in like the last two minutes of injury time. It was quite something but I don't recall much beyond that.

I could be wrong, but was that not Sheffield Wednesday?

Real nostalgia was Italian football on Monday night, Golazzo!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Those were the celtic tiger days - 15 glorious FTA Premier League games courtesy of RTÉ (Shared with Setanta -I think 3 seasons)... it will never happen again no doubt and its highly likely FTA Champions League matches on RTÉ will end from 2015 ...the days of football being a working man's game is coming to an end :(

dirtyden wrote: »

You're wrong...it was Bolton. Bellion got a scrappy equaliser

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I was there for the last game in front of the old Kop.

I remember Spurs v Man City, Klinsmann and Sicknote scored.

Leeds v Wimbledon where Yeboah got a hattrick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Didn't they show the odd international too?

I remember it was England vs west Germany in the world cup, all black and white back then with no sound. It wasn't that long after the war about 10 years or so, so you can imagine the whole country was up for the Germans. The game was 2 -2 and went into extra time, a lad bytthe name of Geoff Hurst hit the ball and it bounced off the under side of the cross bar and out. The referee gave it as a goal and England won the world cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

does anybody remember a brief period when RTE started showing maybe 5 or 10 minute sections over again during the game?

I remember it happening in a game, and thinking it must just be a technical glitch, but then it happened again the next week, and after that.

I think it was after they started broadcasting at 3.30, because I do remember thinking that they didn't have permission to show full games any more, and were 'stretching out' as much as they were allowed to show to make up 90 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Brendan Filone

Great memories, do you guys remember the theme for Sports Saturday:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

Trilla wrote: »

And it was a midweek game not on RTE either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭Ludikrus

dirtyden wrote: »

LOMBARDO!! With his baldy head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,547 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I remember watching live games of old 1st Division every Saturday on Sports Stadium.

It was amazing stuff, at the time football on TV was a rarity as BBC and ITV shared something like 12 live games a season with them.

John Giles was the regular co-commentator and at the time his analysis was ground breaking for me when compared to English TV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

They even showed Leicester City v Palace in Div 2 in 1988, because the game they were to cover,Derby Co. V Liverpool, was called off.
    It was a 4-4 classic.

That was a crazy game. I think it might have been 4-4 at half time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

It was a 4-4 classic.
    Skid X wrote: »
    That was a crazy game. I think it might have been 4-4 at half time.

Another one who remembers that match here!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

This one was a ridiculous game, Leeds 4 Liverpool 5. Somehow I managed to miss the first four Liverpool goals, then I watched in agony as Leeds almost completed an amazing comeback.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

yeah used to be good, now all there is full on Rugby propaganda in Irish media sigh.... rubbish!

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Bertser

For some reason the main thing that sticks out in my memory of the 3pm kick-offs is Julio Baptista.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,982 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I presume the David Bentley show against United was his hattrick in 2006?

I was at that game and it was a Wednesday night so I doubt it was on RTE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Does anybody remember the fake fans Arsenal had behind one of their stands at Highbury?

mural.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

mada999 wrote: »
    yeah used to be good, now all there is full on Rugby propaganda in Irish media sigh.... rubbish!

ahhh thank feck for that, the cream always rises to the top

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

Does anybody remember the fake fans Arsenal had behind one of their stands at Highbury?

mural.jpg

Yea! That wasn't yesterday. Thanks Kew feel old now! What year was it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I don't remember the 3pm matches but I do rememeber Italia '90 and USA '94. They were good times.

Antibac wrote: »
    Yea! That wasn't yesterday. Thanks Kew feel old now! What year was it?

Im guessing between 1993 to 1995.

That be guess. Pretty sure it was PL era.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Start Saturday off with this at 1.10pm on ITV

Then the 3pm game on Sports Stadium and if we were lucky we'd have this on Sunday at 3pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,567 ✭✭✭✭CSF

irishfeen wrote: »
    Those were the celtic tiger days - 15 glorious FTA Premier League games courtesy of RTÉ (Shared with Setanta -I think 3 seasons)... it will never happen again no doubt and its highly likely FTA Champions League matches on RTÉ will end from 2015 ...the days of football being a working man's game is coming to an end :(
    It still is a working man's game but when everyone wants to watch the same teams and matches, basic economics says that is going to drive up the costs of watching those ones!!! Not every team is a working man's team anymore, the likes of Man United and Arsenal season tickets are fairly hefty, but with so many people wanting these, it is only inevitable.

Personally I think the BT Sports/Setanta package is very good value at the moment, I have the Sky one too but I definitely find myself watching more on the BT package at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Im guessing between 1993 to 1995.

That be guess. Pretty sure it was PL era.

North Bank was demolished in 1992, and reopened a year later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Goooooooooooooooooolaccccio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Afaik rte bought a cheaper deal when they showed games so they got like the 4th or 5th highest profile game.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Skid X wrote: »
    This one was a ridiculous game, Leeds 4 Liverpool 5. Somehow I managed to miss the first four Liverpool goals, then I watched in agony as Leeds almost completed an amazing comeback.

That's the game I always remember RTE showing. Unfortunately. :(

kfallon wrote: »
    Start Saturday off with this at 1.10pm on ITV

Then the 3pm game on Sports Stadium and if we were lucky we'd have this on Sunday at 3pm

You would have to be very lucky.
    Seeing as that game was on a Friday night !

Oh and RTE showed it too by the way

K-9 wrote: »
    Another one who remembers that match here!

Some lad called Ian Wright got two.
    The clips are on YouTube if you want a bit of nostalgia.

North Bank was demolished in 1992, and reopened a year later.

And there was uproar when it was realized that all the faces on the billboard were white.

Goooooooooooooooooolaccccio

Everyone used to think he was saying Goal Lazio:pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement