Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[Nostalgia] Remember when RTÉ showed live 3pm Premier League matches?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

I thought it was go lazio and was meant to be a passionate fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I have a memory of Andy Cole scoring for Newcastle against Man U, and I THINK it finished 1-1. First thing I think of when someone mentions those 3pm live matches.

In a weird way I've never checked if I remember it correctly, I'd prefer just to have that memory :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

You would have to be very lucky.
    Seeing as that game was on a Friday night !

Oh and RTE showed it too by the way

I knew that particular game was on a Friday night, it was just 'The Big Match' intro I was trying to find

There was also another very good Leeds v Liverpool game in the first season of EPL (I think), finished 2-2, Gary McAllister scored a stunning volley and Ronnie Whelan got a cracker for Liverpool, think that was the first season of the 3.30 delayed coverage!

And I seem to remember watching David Speedie getting 2 goals on his home debut in the Merseyside Derby on RTE!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

I remember watching Luton against United live on RTE, must have been late 80's or very early 90's. The idea of the plastic pitch at Kenilworth Rd was crazy to me at such a young age.

Chelsea 2 - Liverpool 5
    Just before Christmas in 1989, Liverpool were awesome that day, it was the old Stamford Bridge that had the car park behind one of the goals!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Great memories, do you guys remember the theme for Sports Saturday:

Sport's Stadium, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭ManofStraw

The game that always sticks out in my mind when I think of watching matches on RTE is United - Bolton at the start of the season in 2003. I think it was 1-1 and the commentators were talking about how much United will miss Becks. Then a certain C.Ronaldo made his debut. He came on and started running at defenders, while pulling tricks I had never seen before. I think we won 4-1 on the day.

Think Robbie Fowler's EPL debut at home to Arsenal in October 1993 was also on RTE with the delayed coverage.....finished 0-0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

I remember Robbie fowler scoring a class header against arsenal.

The commentator said the best headers were always back the direction the ball came from. Somebody else scored one against Ian walker of Tottenham the next week and commentator said it again.

It was the first bit of "tactics" or whatever I'd ever learnt.

Without googling, possibly wrong, I seem to remember Ian rush up front with fowler. Could that even be possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Two things stick out in my mind when I think of English games on Sports Stadium:
    1 - Lutons plastic pitch
    2 - Paul Parker (no idea why him in particular!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

One memory I cant get rid of from the 3.30 games was some boring match involving Liverpool in their all green strip.
    I also remember my Dad getting thick with George Hamilton for pronouncing Ajax phonetically while going through the Dutch scores on Sports Stadium. Hard to imagine RTE these days going through all the European scores in an EPL obsessed world.
    Does anyone remember a phase RTE went through of showing Celtics SPL games in the early 00s?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Cartman78

The games from Stamford Bridge when there appeared to be cars randomly parked behind the goals.

The memories are hazy now a bit but one of Sheff.Weds, Leeds or Norwich seemed to feature every week....lots of dodgy kits and fellas with receding hairlines which you just don't see anymore.

And Oldham...on that piece of crap carpet pitch...cracking team on their day though. Roger Palmer was some man to spring from the bench

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Cartman78 wrote: »
    The games from Stamford Bridge when there appeared to be cars randomly parked behind the goals.

My Dad is a Chelsea nut and I like to take the mick that they used to play in a car park.

iDave wrote: »
    Does anyone remember a phase RTE went through of showing Celtics SPL games in the early 00s?

I think that's how Trevor Steven got the RTE gig, there were one or two complaints that the RTE panel was too pro-Celtic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭jem

Ronny rosental signing for Liverpool and effectively winning them the league with his goals.
    Luton's and QPR's plastic pitch.
    (Liverpool had a woeful record on those plastic pitches.

jem wrote: »
    Ronny rosental signing for Liverpool and effectively winning them the league with his goals.
    Luton's and QPR's plastic pitch.
    (Liverpool had a woeful record on those plastic pitches.

I remember the 4-1 home defeat of Chelsea when RR had just signed was on RTE. Ronnie had hit a hat-trick away to Charlton the previous midweek!

I remember a 3-1 (I think) home victory against Everton in what was possibly Souness first full season in charge. Reason I remember it was David Burrows (yes, Burrows!!!) got a fine goal in front of The Kop. Think Ray Houghton sealed the victory in the second half!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

iDave wrote: »
    One memory I cant get rid of from the 3.30 games was some boring match involving Liverpool in their all green strip.
    I also remember my Dad getting thick with George Hamilton for pronouncing Ajax phonetically while going through the Dutch scores on Sports Stadium. Hard to imagine RTE these days going through all the European scores in an EPL obsessed world.

Can't remember any European result on Sports Stadium and I think RTE started showing Scottish soccer in the mid 90s around the same time they lost the English rights

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

I remember Liam O' Brien's debut (I think it was his debut anyway) for Man Utd v Southampton (I think) being shown on RTE at 3pm. He was sent off.

Advertisement