Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sheep pens

• 15-02-2014 11:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Well lads
    My way with the lambing pens isn't too effective:mad:. When lambs are born I bring the lambs and the ewe down to the shed which is divided into 20 pens. There is 3 buckets in each pen ( 1 for water, 1 for meal and 1 for hay ) which are filled twice daily (morning and evening). It takes me a good while down there every morning and evening. For the water I have a big bucket in the middle of the shed. I have a little bucket that takes the water from the big bucket into the pens bucket. This takes the most time. For the hay I just give them a handfull every morning and evening. And for the meal I have a little measure which I use to give the meal. I would just like to know how do ye manage with the shed ? All answers greatly appreciated. Photos would be handy too .
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

Farmer,
    I guess the pens stay in place permanently (not taken down after season ends).
    How about a drinker between every 2 pens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 famer279

Farrell wrote: »
    Farmer,
    I guess the pens stay in place permanently (not taken down after season ends).
    How about a drinker between every 2 pens

Yeah they are permanent I suppose I might try that thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Instead of the big bucket in the shed, which I suppose has a hose pipe going into it , could you position a cut down ICB somewhere near the door and run the spouting into it? God knows it'll always be full......................

If you can just dip in two lick buckets into it, you would top up 20 small ones in 5 go's.
    Often waiting for a bucket to fill from a hose eats up serious time

Could stick a ball-cock on the tank also.

For feed just wheel in a barrow of silage and divide it out.

On a side issue, just to prove how awkward they can be, the loose shed the unlambed ewes are in had 2 JFC plastic drinkers screwed to the wall at a height suitable for weanlings. I dropped one drinker down to about 18 inched off the ground. They insist on drinking out of the one that is too high, having to reach up and hold their head side ways to lick the water out. Ignore the one at a comfortable height. :rolleyes:

Advertisement