Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easter Shoot IOM

• 15-02-2014 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Sorry if posted before....
    I'am thinking of heading over this year and looking at flying from Dublin, anybody have info on flights and which airline will carry firearms,( Aer Lingus carries but not on Regional Aircraft) and the process of going through security at the airport ect......
    Thank You

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Canon44 wrote: »
    Sorry if posted before....
    I'am thinking of heading over this year and looking at flying from Dublin, anybody have info on flights and which airline will carry firearms,( Aer Lingus carries but not on Regional Aircraft) and the process of going through security at the airport ect......
    Thank You

The only flights from Dublin to IOM are the Aer Lingus Regional. If you want to fly with a firearm to the Easter shoot your only real option is to fly from NI.

I hate ferries so I've been keeping my eye out for a flight to IOM that will take my rifle for several years now. If I've missed one and you find it, please let me know!

the process of going through security at the airport

Oh, and on this, the security process at the airport will differ from airport to airport and airline to airline. The basic procedure is this:
    1. Get all the paperwork you need
      • Your Irish cert (make sure it's not going to expire while you're away)
      • A European Firearms pass, if you need it (you don't need it for IoM)
      • The appropriate paperwork for your destination (for the IoM Easter shoot you apply for this with your entry and Ina will forward it to the IoM police)
      • Paperwork for any transit countries (if you fly from Belfast you'll need an NI visitor permit from the PSNI - this does need a European Firearms pass)
    2. Tell the airline ahead of time if they're one of the airlines who wants to be told. For some of them you can just turn up on the day, but I usually call them ahead of time anyway to be sure.
    3. Turn up really early to the airport because the person at the desk probably doesn't have too much experience processing firearms and it could take a while.
    4. They check in your firearm and ammunition (usually separately).
    5. You arrive at your destination and collect your firearm from customs, outsize baggage or the carousel.
      • If it comes out on the carousel or at an unattended outsize baggage belt then make sure to find a customs officer/policeman/border guard (as appropriate for the country) and tell them.
      • In IoM when you arrive by ferry you get met by one of the competition organisers who'll either bring your firearm to the armoury or direct you to it yourself. I presume they do something similar when people fly in.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Canon44

IRLConor, Thanks for info, have travelled to a few Easter shoots and travelled by ferry out of Belfast but never flew, I'll look into flights out of Belfast. I'll keep an eye out and let you know if....
    Thank You again

IRLConor, Thanks for info, have travelled to a few Easter shoots and travelled by ferry out of Belfast but never flew, I'll look into flights out of Belfast. I'll keep an eye out and let you know if....
    Thank You again

The ferry schedule isn't particularly helpful these days either. :( I (and a bunch of DURC people) will be going Wednesday to Wednesday. Out from Dublin, back through Belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Canon44

Your right ferrys not great, use to be able to travel out Belfast on Good Friday and sail back Dublin on Monday, Wed to Wed a bit long, my other half says NO WAY...

• Advertisement

Your right ferrys not great, use to be able to travel out Belfast on Good Friday and sail back Dublin on Monday, Wed to Wed a bit long, my other half says NO WAY...

Yeah, out Good Friday and back Easter Monday used to be very useful. It meant missing the training on Friday in Sinclair and it made the air rifle schedule a bit cramped but it was quite handy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Heading out this year with a nice big contingent from DURC. should be a great trip, shooting prone and 3x40.

Advertisement