Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there any options for a 17 year old to get into college other than the LC?

Options
  • 16-02-2014 12:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭

I left school at the start of the year, terrible decision which I regret. Starting from now, my goal is to earn a degree. Problem is, I have a problem with a lot of subjects in the leaving cert being pretty much a memory test. I do well at subjects which are more based on your skill, rather than memory, such as English and Music. So, I've always felt the leaving cert wasn't ideal for me, as no matter how much I study, I always seem to forget a lot of information. Now, don't get me wrong, I know I'm going to have to work no matter what, and I'm prepared to do that, I'd just like to know if there's any other alternatives, perhaps some other courses which could get me into college.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭alleystar

Not the advise you want to hear but I'll say it anyway: go back and complete your Leaving Cert. The LC isn't "ideal" for many people but a lot just struggle through and get on with it. It's difficult but many have done it before you and will do it after you. Even if you don't get the points for your preferred course, there is always alternatives that will get you to exactly where you want to be.

I don't think you'll be able to get a degree without it, not in the next six years of your life anyway. Even PLC type courses you won't be allowed to do. If it's too late now, go back in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Dores

alleystar is sooo right.

You will never know that you will not do well in the LC if you don't even try it.

Try different methods of studying. Google it or find study skills books in the library. If you still struggle seek help from the Guidance Counsellor in your school or local librarian.

e.g. https://www.tcd.ie/pathways-to-trinity/application/study/

You are not the only one who finds Secondary school and exams difficult. I used to suck at everything in Secondary school but I studied really hard before leaving cert (my way!) and I did very well.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Eoin247

Also keep in mind that you are only 17, so even if you start 6th year again in September you will be entering college a year later while still being the same age as your peers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Cherry_Balm

You could go and do a PLC course and try to move from there into a degree but your best bet would be just to do the Leaving cert. Try a new school of you don't wanna go back to your old one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭burtslimpslon

Sorry if im too late and it doesnt matter anymore but go back and do leaving cert applied (LCA) its designed for students who dont like exams or all the memorising, this will allow you to do PLC course leading up to a degree.
    Another alternative is take a year break do a 4 year apprenticship get your apprenticship and take a break year again then either leave with your apprenticeship or continue in education as a mature student.
    Sorry if im late and it doesnt matter anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Vlove

Try National Learning Network, they will help you prepare better for college and the courses are free!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Miss.Mayhem

Try doing a BTEC degree in a vocational college. With BTEC degrees you are mostly marked on assignments you hand in throughout the year, rather than exams. If you have memory problems a BTEC degree would be ideal for you. You can use the BTEC degree to go on to third level if you want. What are you planning to study?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭loveemmaxxxx

You could do plc I did that this year for nursing ucc only take like 4 people out of the country 3 for wit. I might get in, in august, it's very limited. If I don't get in,I'm repeating in September. Leaving cert is the only guaranteed way in. I'm sorry I didn't repeat this year. You could wait until your 23 to apply as a mature student. :)

Advertisement