Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars 1313: A New Hope?

• 16-02-2014 2:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Is there any hope this title will get off the ground? Seems surprising that Disney didn't want to invest in it or sell it when potentially it could be absolutely massive.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,546 ✭✭✭✭Varik

It's dead and gone.

They've purposely abandoned the trademark and closed LucasArts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

We didn't see that much on it, honestly which I guess is a blessing. Certainly not enough to warrant mourning it, least in my opinion.

Now a Star Wars game to morn would be the Republic Commando sequel that was cancelled.

I'm mourning the non-existence of KOTOR 3. That's enough mourning for me.

Pushtrak wrote: »
    I'm mourning the non-existence of KOTOR 3. That's enough mourning for me.

Play Old Republic, it's got KOTOR 3-10 in it and it's f2p now.

• Advertisement

Varik wrote: »
    Play Old Republic, it's got KOTOR 3-10 in it and it's f2p now.
    Isn't there a lot of stuff in that you can't do solo though? That'd be my biggest worry.

Isn't there a lot of stuff in that you can't do solo though? That'd be my biggest worry.

You can for everything but the parts that you really need a group aren't part of the story, it is automated to find groups now.

The limits on f2p or preferred won't effect the story too much other than the character limits, the Jedi Knight would be KOTOR 3 and the Smuggler and Imperial agent are also good. Each story has it's own writer and feels very different.

If anyone is interested I'd be up for going back to the old republic, if I'm not mistaken as I usually did story mission alone I think you can join each other. If I'm not completely wrong we'd just need to make 1 republic character and 1 imperial character ( 2 is the limit for fully f2p) and just pick different characters and work through the character stories together to see them all.

Only played republic really and haven't tried the jedi consular, just need a party of 4 willing to give it a try.

If anyone is interested I'd be up for going back to the old republic, if I'm not mistaken as I usually did story mission alone I think you can join each other. If I'm not completely wrong we'd just need to make 1 republic character and 1 imperial character ( 2 is the limit for fully f2p) and just pick different characters and work through the character stories together to see them all.

Only played republic really and haven't tried the jedi consular, just need a party of 4 willing to give it a try.
    I haven't really had much time for gaming in months, and it'll be at least 3 months before I really go back to it with any regularity. Would love to be able to say, sure, lets start tomorrow, but just can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I've been playing a lot of SWTOR recently.

It's a pretty good successor to KotOR and the only things that are wrong with it are related to being an MMO.

If it had just been released as an RPG, with all the co-op stuff but not had the story spread out like a pinhead of butter on a mile of toast it would've been a far better game.

I can't complain about content given that it's free but it feels like if it hadn't gone the subscription model (and later f2p) they wouldn't have had to spread the play out to justify the cost.
    In their world spending lots of time on something = getting value for money but you don't really get much more meaningful content than if the game took half as long.

If it wasn't Star Wars and following on from KotoR I wouldn't be bothering my arse I suspect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I did four play-through's "single player" it was quite a challenge but in a fun way.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,616 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Now a Star Wars game to morn would be the Republic Commando sequel that was cancelled.

Hooray!
    Another fan of that great game!
    I still have it and loved it when I bought and played it through at launch.
    A sequel would be great but unlikely, a reboot though, maybe showing us the period from before the birth of the Empire and after would be cool, one moment destroying the CIS the next putting one in noggin of the nearest Jedi, could be the most fun we've had since Tie Fighter!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Hooray!
    Another fan of that great game!
    I still have it and loved it when I bought and played it through at launch.
    A sequel would be great but unlikely, a reboot though, maybe showing us the period from before the birth of the Empire and after would be cool, one moment destroying the CIS the next putting one in noggin of the nearest Jedi, could be the most fun we've had since Tie Fighter!

The story was continued in a few books, with the last one called Imperial commando.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Really ironic that such a perfect franchise for video games and such an underused franchise for video games.

Still battlefront 3 on works? Won't be any time soon though as dice up to ****s creek with bf4 right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Gbear wrote: »
    I've been playing a lot of SWTOR recently.

It's a pretty good successor to KotOR and the only things that are wrong with it are related to being an MMO.

If it had just been released as an RPG, with all the co-op stuff but not had the story spread out like a pinhead of butter on a mile of toast it would've been a far better game.

I can't complain about content given that it's free but it feels like if it hadn't gone the subscription model (and later f2p) they wouldn't have had to spread the play out to justify the cost.
    In their world spending lots of time on something = getting value for money but you don't really get much more meaningful content than if the game took half as long.

If it wasn't Star Wars and following on from KotoR I wouldn't be bothering my arse I suspect.

You talked me into then talked me out of playing SWTOR in one post!

Really ironic that such a perfect franchise for video games and such an underused franchise for video games.

Still battlefront 3 on works? Won't be any time soon though as dice up to ****s creek with bf4 right now.

A Bioware Star Wars game should be a money printing exercise.

I hope SWTOR did awfully (although as far as I know their revenues increased after going ftp) so that the next one has the bad MMO things removed.
    danthefan wrote: »
    You talked me into then talked me out of playing SWTOR in one post!

Taken on it's own merits it's pretty good. It's just frustrating sometimes with the grinding you have to do when you'd rather be progressing the storyline.

I suppose you just can't approach it the same way as a regular RPG.
    With something like Mass Effect I can happily spent hours on end at it.
    With this I have to break things up a bit more so that I progress the story a bit but don't die of boredom from the grinding.

Gbear wrote: »
    A Bioware Star Wars game should be a money printing exercise.

I hope SWTOR did awfully (although as far as I know their revenues increased after going ftp) so that the next one has the bad MMO things removed.
    FYP.

The game is around 2 years old and the f2p year made them over 100m, I think Everquest and Elderscrolls will kill off the game since it doesn't offer much end game content.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,616 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

As far as Star Wars games are concerned I suppose them be focused on getting titles prepared for the release of the new films starting in 2016, given the lousy prequel trilogy games, Republic Commando excepted, let's hope they put some effort in this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,380 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

A Star Wars MMO was always going to be niche as we all just want to focus on story rather than killing 10 wamp rats. I really enjoyed it but there is no or very little end game.

I'm hoping KOTOR III will be made. Them games are a beauty. Unfortunately for 1313 Disney had no interest in the vidya game side of the franchise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Surprised to see comments that nobody was looking forward to 1313. Thought it looked great, like Uncharted but in a SW universe. Looked fantastic too. And would it have been the first adult themed SW game, 15+? Really hope he gets revived sometime in the future.

Can't say I see SWTOR as a replacement for KoTOR. Aside from the game play, the missions are laborious and you can't substitute a good single player RPG with a MMORPG, the characters just aren't there.

Plenty of people were looking forward to it but it never got any further than a prerendered gameplay demo.
    The premise was good but then most games begin life with a good premise.
    Kotor2 doesn't really deserve the love, given how unfinished it was.
    At least the Mass Effect series gives us an idea where it might have gone, at least in terms of mechanics, given the first one borrowed so heavily from Kotor.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Plenty of people were looking forward to it but it never got any further than a prerendered gameplay demo.
    The premise was good but then most games begin life with a good premise.
    Kotor2 doesn't really deserve the love, given how unfinished it was.
    At least the Mass Effect series gives us an idea where it might have gone, at least in terms of mechanics, given the first one borrowed so heavily from Kotor.

I think Kotor 2 had so much good in it though.
    It was tantalisingly close to being a great game but the half-assed way in which it was finished was annoying.

Advertisement