Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal v Liverpool FA Cup. KO @16:00 BT Sports 1.

Comments

Anyone claiming Gerrard should have got a second yellow just look back at the tackle Podolski escaped without a yellow on Flanagan. After that nasty nasty tackle by Monreal it was the next worst tackle in the game and he didn't even get a warning.

And people saying sterling should have got a red, please go to bed and sleep it off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

C'mon home Arsenal fans. The kettle's on. Highlights in 20 mins.

Anyone claiming Gerrard should have got a second yellow just look back at the tackle Podolski escaped without a yellow on Flanagan. After that nasty nasty tackle by Monreal it was the next worst tackle in the game and he didn't even get a warning.

And people saying sterling should have got a red, please go to bed and sleep it off.

On the basis that Manu Petit got a red for even less then its galling to see such inconsistency across the board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Godge wrote: »
    What is strange is that all of the attention is on the Suarez incident (without exaggeration it might have been given).

You can look at it another way...

Sterling red for raising hand at ref.
    Gerrard second yellow for foul on Ox.
    Skrtel red (more probably yellow) and penalty for foul on Cazorla.

Anyway, we can argue about the ref all day. The more important question is who are Liverpool going to support in the next round?

Arsenal for me. I'd like to see wenger win a trophy to shut everyone up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

How Fabianski didn't get man of the match is beyond me. The teams were more evenly matched that you'd think if you hadn't watched it. Ox had a good game but for me of all Arsenal players, Fabianski was the most instrumental to the final score. Save with his right foot being the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I think you need to read the rules of football. You don't lay a hand on the ref, no matter how softly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Anyone claiming Gerrard should have got a second yellow just look back at the tackle Podolski escaped without a yellow on Flanagan..
    They should both have been yellows and a subsequent red for Gerrard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

8-10 wrote: »
    How Fabianski didn't get man of the match is beyond me. The teams were more evenly matched that you'd think if you hadn't watched it. Ox had a good game but for me of all Arsenal players, Fabianski was the most instrumental to the final score. Save with his right foot being the best.

That was excellent, but I thought the save of Sturridge's feet was better.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Highlights in UTV now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

What would Arsenal know about premier league titles nowadays?

Loads actually.

• Advertisement

I think you need to read the rules of football. You don't lay a hand on the ref, no matter how softly.

Sure Toure shiuld have been banned for life so after flattening the ref against Fulham.

It was harmless from sterling, it's pure sh*t stirring calling for him to have been red carded.
    They should both have been yellows and a subsequent red for Gerrard.

You can't card every tackle or else every game would finish with 7 men aside. Gerrard gave away two frees in the game, neither tackle was dangerous you have to be given a chance.

All this chat is just trying to draw attention from the extremely easy decision that was got totally wrong by Webb in not awarding suarez the second penalty thus saving Arsenals bacon who were being totally outplayed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Webb must be cringing watching these highlights!! It wasn't as bad as his Stamford Bridge debacle, but it was close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Sure Toure shiuld have been banned for life so after flattening the ref against Fulham.

It was harmless from sterling, it's pure sh*t stirring calling for him to have been red carded.

Toure running into the referee was accidental.

Sterling raising his hand to deliberately push the referee is a completely different thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Godge wrote: »
    What is strange is that all of the attention is on the Suarez incident (without exaggeration it might have been given).

You can look at it another way...

Sterling red for raising hand at ref.
    Gerrard second yellow for foul on Ox.
    Skrtel red (more probably yellow) and penalty for foul on Cazorla.

Anyway, we can argue about the ref all day. The more important question is who are Liverpool going to support in the next round?

What is this Skrtel red nonsense? Stop say this. Let's not be thick here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Toure accidentally ran into the ref, strawman alert. It's nothing to do with fans, it's the rules of the game.

You can't card every tackle or else every game would finish with 7 men aside. Gerrard gave away two frees in the game, neither tackle was dangerous you have to be given a chance.
    Both tackles stopped an Arsenal attack. In the second case Chamberlain was at the byline, and Gerrard killed it. Easy yellow.

I find it hilarious that you're downplaying absolutely everything Liverpool got in their favour just to suit your agenda.

Ox was excellent but id say the St Georges flag beside his name might have sealed it for him today. The English media are clueless. Pure motivated by propaganda instead of telling it how it actually is.

gandalf wrote: »
    If Suarez hadn't of tried to do a really bad Jurgan Klinsmann impression he might of been awarded that justified penalty.

I do wonder was it an element of the ref changing his mind in view of the theatrics on display.

I do wonder was it an element of the ref changing his mind in view of the theatrics on display.

I think it was that and he was probably unsure in the first one and they were so close together

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,122 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

monkey9 wrote: »
    Webb must be cringing watching these highlights!! It wasn't as bad as his Stamford Bridge debacle, but it was close.

Doubt it somehow, his ego wouldn't allow it. What bugs me more than him not giving it is the manner in which he didn't. He loves the cameras.

• Advertisement

Doubt it somehow, his ego wouldn't allow it. What bugs me more than him not giving it is the manner in which he didn't. He loves the cameras.

After his calamatic performance at the WC final in 2010 he shouldn't have even got a Sunday league game on Hackney Marshes after it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Only just saw this,

http://i.minus.com/irMVhlpuQdoq.gif

Jesus christ, not good for the image.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

noodler wrote: »
    Only just saw this,

Be great when players stop with the wild over-reactions.

Only just saw this,

Its a bad angle was a stone wall peno

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Soups123 wrote: »
    Its a bad angle was a stone wall peno

Definitely a penalty. Might have been given if he'd fallen properly. The whole popping up on your head like a breakdancer adds an element of theatre to the whole thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭Felexicon

It was a peno though. Doesn't matter if he did a triple somersault with a twist in the pike position. He was hammered and Webb got it wrong.

Think Gerrard should have gone for a second yellow too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

Only just saw this,

Yes. Suarez's image is surely tainted now...…......................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Webb was actually having good game up to then.

Then it just all went wrong.

Awful Ref.

I think we all agree Webb is a calamity of a ref

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

bad2dabone wrote: »
    Definitely a penalty. Might have been given if he'd fallen properly. The whole popping up on your head like a breakdancer adds an element of theatre to the whole thing.

He fell properly against Eto'o at Chelsea and it made no difference...

dfx- wrote: »
    He fell properly against Eto'o at Chelsea and it made no difference...

Fair point, that was as bad a decision. Webb really is a shocker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Arsenal would probably be top only for that desicion as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

I think both clubs should walk away from that game happy no one was injured because he let a lot of crap slide today . He has to be the worst ref in the league .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Webb was actually having good game up to then.

Then it just all went wrong.

Awful Ref.

Not really tbh he should of booked Sterling & Podolski for 2 blatant yellow cards but is too busy trying to be mates with the players & pulling faces. When Sterling tapped his chest you'd swear it was Mr.McMahon doing it to Stone Cold. Not a good ref & its quite sad that we'll no doubt be seeing him in Brazil come June. Surely he won't get the final again this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

GTR63 wrote: »
    Not really tbh he should of booked Sterling & Podolski for 2 blatant yellow cards but is too busy trying to be mates with the players & pulling faces. When Sterling tapped his chest you'd swear it was Mr.McMahon doing it to Stone Cold. Not a good ref & its quite sad that we'll no doubt be seeing him in Brazil come June. Surely he won't get the final again this time.

What Sterling did was wrong. Ya he pulled funny face but asked captain over like ref should.

But he bottled it for liverpool second pen.

Dont think.Gerrard deserved to get sent off.

Sadly he will be in Brazil and no doubt will get major decision wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Arsenal were very clinical with their finishing, besides a brief spell at the start of the game it was all arsenal first half, they really got stuck in.

Second half after the penalty it was all Liverpool, saying that arsenal defended excellently and Fab played a Stormer.

Should have been a penalty but Gerard should have been off too, webb was shocking, saying that overall I think arsenal deserved it more, Liverpool didn't really ever look like scoring from open play and Fab done excellently to save the half chances Liverpool had.

I'm not sure if any team can take much from the game. Good fight back from pool but it was against half the arsenal B team.

What Sterling did was wrong. Ya he pulled funny face but asked captain over like ref should.

But he bottled it for liverpool second pen.

Dont think.Gerrard deserved to get sent off.

Sadly he will be in Brazil and no doubt will get major decision wrong

My problem with the Sterling incident was that it was a clear corner kick and he just refused to give it. I was angry too but Sterling could have been smarter. Having said that Webb did the right thing.

The second penalty incident however is indefensible. I can't imagine anybody thinking it's not a penalty if that was their team fouled. I only saw the replay in slow mo from behind the goal once, was there a hint of Webb looking slightly to the right when the challenge started and then looking straight at it as Suarez fell? It just baffles me that he was so close but just wagged his finger no

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Arsenal were very clinical with their finishing, besides a brief spell at the start of the game it was all arsenal first half, they really got stuck in.

Second half after the penalty it was all Liverpool, saying that arsenal defended excellently and Fab played a Stormer.

Should have been a penalty but Gerard should have been off too, webb was shocking, saying that overall I think arsenal deserved it more, Liverpool didn't really ever look like scoring from open play and Fab done excellently to save the half chances Liverpool had.

I'm not sure if any team can take much from the game. Good fight back from pool but it was against half the arsenal B team.

Should have been a penalty and Gerrard should have been sent off.
    But had the penalty been given and scored it would have been 2-2 and in all likelihood would have finished that way irrespective of Gerrard being sent off, as the Gerrard incident was towards the end of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Who did get Man of the match ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

But had the penalty been given and scored it would have been 2-2 and in all likelihood would have finished that way irrespective of Gerrard being sent off, as the Gerrard incident was towards the end of the game.

Every game there is bad decisions. Believe me arsenal have have been on the end of so many bad penalty decisions lately, Webb is not the only one guilty of bad officiating. It seems to be getting worst, 3 goal decisions went against us against city this season and not a mention of it.

Just the way of the game.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

"Half the Arsenal B team", considering how their "A" team got on last weekend maybe it would be a good idea to promote a few of the lads from yesterday.

• Advertisement

Good points.

But in the end who do you think deserved it more?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

Arsenal where on top in the first half?? aside from their goal how many actual chances did they have?? how many did liverpool have??

BEFORE the peno it was all liverpool. the pressure on yer defence caused the peno. after the peno and before the obvious one that wasnt given, sturridge could have also had a peno. his foot was caught by fabianski. fab didnt get the ball so it should have been a peno. the fact he didnt go to ground is the only reason it wasnt looked at.

as was stated already gerrard could have been sent off. but podo should have gotten a couple of yellows throughout the game with the most obvious one being early in the first half with a late challenge that stopped yet another counter.

liverpool should have had the peno for suarez. its inexcusable. if gerrard was sent off after the peno it would have been at least 2-2. to say the decisions even out is beyond ridiculous.

half the arsenal B team??? fabianski Podo jenkinson and Sanago??? considering that fab was once yer first team keeper and ye all want podo to get his chance that isnt really much of a b team to be fair.

liverpool however are still without 3 first team defenders and like ye changed our keeper. dont talk like ye fielded the under strength team.

liverpool where by far the better side. went to the emirates and had more shots more posession (in both halfs) better passing. we deserved it more.

but arsenal did take their chances. they scored the goals and thats what counts. they had a lot of luck. very lucky to not conceed the other two penos as i mentioned but thats the way it goes sometimes for a home side. but you dont always need to be the better team to win a game. well done overall to arsenal. we will just move on and try to finish as high in the league as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

Good points.

But in the end who do you think deserved it more?

I think it deserved to be a draw to be honest, but that would have been a terrible result for both teams (in terms of the extra game).
    I would wish Arsenal the best for the FA Cup however.

I think it deserved to be a draw to be honest, but that would have been a terrible result for both teams (in terms of the extra game).
    I would wish Arsenal the best for the FA Cup however.

dont sit on the fence :D

a draw would have upset arsenal more than liverpool to be fair.

Paulegend wrote: »
    Arsenal where on top in the first half?? aside from their goal how many actual chances did they have?? how many did liverpool have??

BEFORE the peno it was all liverpool. the pressure on yer defence caused the peno. after the peno and before the obvious one that wasnt given, sturridge could have also had a peno. his foot was caught by fabianski. fab didnt get the ball so it should have been a peno. the fact he didnt go to ground is the only reason it wasnt looked at.

as was stated already gerrard could have been sent off. but podo should have gotten a couple of yellows throughout the game with the most obvious one being early in the first half with a late challenge that stopped yet another counter.

liverpool should have had the peno for suarez. its inexcusable. if gerrard was sent off after the peno it would have been at least 2-2. to say the decisions even out is beyond ridiculous.

half the arsenal B team??? fabianski Podo jenkinson and Sanago??? considering that fab was once yer first team keeper and ye all want podo to get his chance that isnt really much of a b team to be fair.

liverpool however are still without 3 first team defenders and like ye changed our keeper. dont talk like ye fielded the under strength team.

liverpool where by far the better side. went to the emirates and had more shots more posession (in both halfs) better passing. we deserved it more.

but arsenal did take their chances. they scored the goals and thats what counts. they had a lot of luck. very lucky to not conceed the other two penos as i mentioned but thats the way it goes sometimes for a home side. but you dont always need to be the better team to win a game. well done overall to arsenal. we will just move on and try to finish as high in the league as possible.

It's was and under strength team, also arsenal should have had a penalty for the skertl challenge as Well as a free for the Jones hand ball etc etc.

Arsenal defended better than pool and arsenal were more clinical, Liverpool might have 'controlled' the game more or whatever but when it comes to it arsenal were better at the more important things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    Who did get Man of the match ?

Oxlade Chamberlain, Which I think is fair enough considering he got a goal and an assist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

It's was and under strength team, also arsenal should have had a penalty for the skertl challenge as Well as a free for the Jones hand ball etc etc.

Arsenal defended better than pool and arsenal were more clinical, Liverpool might have 'controlled' the game more or whatever but when it comes to it arsenal were better at the more important things.

Don't honestly it won't be worth it in the long run, trust me!

it would have been a soft peno against skrtel. its not an accident noone is talking about it after it was looked at a million times

jones is allowed to handle the ball because he was in the box;)

arsenal where not exactly sitting back ala liverpool second half last week. arsenal where pushed back and forced to defend. ye panicked and deserved to throw it away.

but again at the end of the day ye won and a win is a win. ye are not responsible for incompetent referees the way united where for years :D but ye won so fair play

Oxlade Chamberlain, Which I think is fair enough considering he got a goal and an assist.

Agreed it's not surprising. Just think it's unfair on Fab who came in with a top performance and in my view was more instrumental in the win.

Wouldn't mind Liverpool offering him a contract when it expires. He's looked good last few times I've seen him

• Advertisement

Paulegend wrote: »
    it would have been a soft peno against skrtel. its not an accident noone is talking about it after it was looked at a million times

jones is allowed to handle the ball because he was in the box;)

arsenal where not exactly sitting back ala liverpool second half last week. arsenal where pushed back and forced to defend. ye panicked and deserved to throw it away.

but again at the end of the day ye won and a win is a win. ye are not responsible for incompetent referees the way united where for years :D but ye won so fair play

Well something we can both agree on, Howard Webb was shocking and has in most games I'vewwatched.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement