Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is moving to Canada still a better option than anywhere else?

Options
  • 16-02-2014 6:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭

I've been planning on getting a visa for canada this year ( if they ever come out!!!) but I decided to do a little more research into the jobs market in Toronto where I am intending to head.

Found this article about how they have a pretty bad unemployment problem at the moment

http://www.thestar.com/business/2014/01/14/torontos_jobless_rate_nearly_highest_among_canadas_big_cities.html

While their unemployment rate is about 8 and ours is almost 13, it seems it might be riskier to sty over there in general.

Does anyone know anythng about this themselves? is this something thats affecting unqualified people or what like.

I have two qualifications and am intending to try and find work in the games industry over there.

Now I'm not so sure.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

try get a visa to usa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

nicolo wrote: »
    I've been planning on getting a visa for canada this year ( if they ever come out!!!) but I decided to do a little more research into the jobs market in Toronto where I am intending to head.

Found this article about how they have a pretty bad unemployment problem at the moment

http://www.thestar.com/business/2014/01/14/torontos_jobless_rate_nearly_highest_among_canadas_big_cities.html

While their unemployment rate is about 8 and ours is almost 13, it seems it might be riskier to sty over there in general.

Does anyone know anythng about this themselves? is this something thats affecting unqualified people or what like.

I have two qualifications and am intending to try and find work in the games industry over there.

Now I'm not so sure.

Ah now 5% is quiet a difference

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 111 ✭✭RonnieRocket

The high unemployment rate in Canada is the elephant in the room that nobody is talking about. Food is more expensive over there, rent is more expensive, life in general is more expensive. If you've a trade then I say go ahead to Canada - you'll make a decent living out there, especially in the oil sands in Northern Alberta if you can drive a lorry or digger. But most of the posters in this forum seem to be fresh out of college with degrees in marketing, graphic design and other such fluffy courses. These people complain that they can't find a job in Ireland and they will also struggle to find a relevant job in Canada as they're competing with Canadian professionals with Canadian experience and contacts. Who is more likely to be trained up and hired - a native Canadian or an Irish backpacker who will be there for two years max? This is why you hear about Irish "emigrants" working in retail, pubs or on the slopes in ski resorts like Whistler, earning less than they'd get on the dole in Ireland.

But then again, I don't think most Irish are going to Canada for a job. If it was solely about work they'd go to England or Europe which is a lot less hassle. They go to Canada for the experience. They want to live in the city with the tall skyscrapers. This is all well and good. Canada is a great country, a poor man's USA in my opinion, but still a fantastic nation with breathtaking scenery outside of the cities. Enjoy your time travelling out there - I know I did.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

How bad is unemployment in Canada?

Not trying to be rude mate, but that is info you could easily find with a quick google. The latest unemployment figures for 2014 are:

Canada (national)................ 7.2
    British Columbia.................... 6.6
    Alberta......................................4.8
    Saskatchewan..................... 3.9
    Manitoba............................ 5.5
    Ontario............................... 7.9
    Quebec.............................. 7.7
    New Brunswick..................... 9.7
    Prince Edward Island............. 11.5
    Nova Scotia........................ 9.2
    Newfoundland and Labrador..... 10.8
    Yukon................................ 4.9
    Northwest Territories............ 8.2
    Nunavut.............................. 14.6

As you can see, the "oil provinces" of Alberta and Saskatchewan have the lowest unemployment rates while the Maritime provinces out East have the highest. Most of you will be heading to Ontario (Toronto) or British Columbia (Vancouver). A bit worrying that people are investing so much money in moving out to Canada and they aren't aware of these basic facts.

• Advertisement

I could have Googled that, and thanks for the figures. I was sort of hoping for your own experiences, I assumed you are over there now. No worries though thanks man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭frankspencer

I want to work in energy industry so thats why I am considering Alberta.

I am considering going over there to do any work with the industry.

silly question is there a course in Ireland you can do to be a digger operator?

I can drive a digger already but i need something official?

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Loblox

The high unemployment rate in Canada is the elephant in the room that nobody is talking about. Food is more expensive over there, rent is more expensive, life in general is more expensive. If you've a trade then I say go ahead to Canada - you'll make a decent living out there, especially in the oil sands in Northern Alberta if you can drive a lorry or digger. But most of the posters in this forum seem to be fresh out of college with degrees in marketing, graphic design and other such fluffy courses. These people complain that they can't find a job in Ireland and they will also struggle to find a relevant job in Canada as they're competing with Canadian professionals with Canadian experience and contacts. Who is more likely to be trained up and hired - a native Canadian or an Irish backpacker who will be there for two years max? This is why you hear about Irish "emigrants" working in retail, pubs or on the slopes in ski resorts like Whistler, earning less than they'd get on the dole in Ireland.

But then again, I don't think most Irish are going to Canada for a job. If it was solely about work they'd go to England or Europe which is a lot less hassle. They go to Canada for the experience. They want to live in the city with the tall skyscrapers. This is all well and good. Canada is a great country, a poor man's USA in my opinion, but still a fantastic nation with breathtaking scenery outside of the cities. Enjoy your time travelling out there - I know I did.

Can I just chime in here for a sec? Just a warning, I have a blinding migraine right now so I'm not sure how much sense this is going to make.

I'm 26. I have a Masters degree in Anglo-Saxon and Medieval English. Not worth a lot in the real world. I worked as a teacher, a librarian, a researcher, a few other jobs but none of them worked out back home. Thought "what the hell, Canada." I managed to get a really good job here as a journalist. There were 3 openings, 9 people were called for the interview, 3 showed. Winner by default. Pay is good, I wouldn't mind more but I can cover rent and expenses and generally have a decent bit left over at the end of the month, the job itself is fantastic and I have zero complaints beyond the odd one (last week I was supposed to go to an event, and I was given a ticket that was only valid in another state). I'm hoping to get the IEC renewed for another two years (whenever they open it) and plan on staying here, if I can. I worked hard and I have a great job. Yes, the tar sands pay better, but I know guys who worked out there and it doesn't appeal. I've there's a lot of turnover out there with immigrants, I don't know how accurate that is, but the ones I've spoken with were not too keen on most of bosses and companies out there. I live right by Dundas Square in the middle of Toronto and am paying less rent here than when I was living in Dublin. I was very lucky to get such a great price and my landlady is fantastic. In terms of cost of living, I got a furnished apartment and didn't get a tv to cut back on costs, and I'm happy with most of the prices here. Since the more expensive stuff is usually junk food, I'm in better shape too, which is always good.

However.

I was very lucky. I occasionally got invites to immigrant meetups over the past year, and every one of them, without fail, was almost entirely 19-23 year olds going out and getting locked. I have work in the morning, so no thanks. All the guys I spoke to were happy out with crappy jobs like you're talking about. I do not see them staying for the next round. If that's what they want, take a gap year or whatever, that's fine, but I've a feeling I'll be seeing a few of them making angry posts on Boards in a few years time.

I've basically given up on those meetups, I'm not a big drinker and I'm not a fan of stereotypes. I've met with quite a few successful guys out here, there will always be room if you're willing to put in the work (so why didn't I stay in Ireland and put in the work? Because I'm sick and tired of bloody rain. Give me sun. Give me snow. Give me seasons, for Christs sake.) Yes, luck is going to be a factor. If one other person had come to the job interview that day, would I have my job? Maybe, maybe not.

I'm getting really frustrated with the IEC stalling, most likely I'll have to take time off work (unpaid yay!) since my current visa expires in March. My boss has guaranteed me work as long as I get it sorted, and has even talked about working from Ireland if I needed to.

There are plenty of people out here who want to stay long term. Go to Europe? Have you seen Europe? Ireland is better off than quite a few mainland countries. America isn't too hot of a prospect either (opinion), but I'm sure people will disagree with me on that.

Alright, going to bed, my head is splitting.

@Loblox

Fair play to you, it's nice to hear a success story. You sound like a hardworking fella so I hope you're able to renew your visa. If I were you, I'd be pissed off at the wasters snapping up Canadian visas just so they can work in a coffee shop for a few months and then go home broke.

A few points about your story: You were extremely lucky to get an affordable apartment in Downtown Toronto (Dundas Square is like a mini-version of New York's Times Square, for those who don't know). However, readers shouldn't get their hopes up about living Downtown. A quarter of Canada's population live in the Greater Toronto Area so there is a huge demand for places and as a result rent is expensive! Readers shouldn't expect to get a furnished apartment either. It's not the norm so again you were lucky there.
    Secondly, do you honestly think your degree in Medieval English was what got you the journalism job? I don't think so. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd say it was your experience as a teacher and a librarian that impressed your employer. It's the people going over to Canada fresh out of college with liberal arts degrees that should be worried.

My basic message is: there is no point going over to Canada if you're going to work in a bar, coffee shop or retail type job, which is what most of the Irish college graduates end up doing. Minimum wage in Ontario is CAD$10.25 (= €6.80). I know a lot of you are frustrated and bored sitting at home in Ireland on the dole, but running off to Canada isn't a magic quick-fix. You'll end up coming home 2/3 months later €5000 worse off. Spend 3 months travelling across the country on a visa waiver instead - Canada really is a fantastic experience and you'll meet many other backpackers along the way. The IEC is ideal for tradespeople in my opinion. However with that said, you could get lucky like Loblox and land on your feet. @Loblox: I disagree about Europe being a total unemployment blackspot. Spain and Italy are crying out for TEFL teachers. There are hundreds of cities across the continent. Hope your head feels better tomorrow mate. Thanks for the response.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭goingitalone

@Loblox
    t's the people going over to Canada fresh out of college with liberal arts degrees that should be worried.

exactly it is one thing i have noticed and i will agree in is there is allot people coming outta college with marketing, graphic design and media degrees and they all seem to think there gonna walk into work . myself personally ive engineering and a IT backround so ive options of work and there's allot of it advertised currently. ill do anything initially but the hope is to get in somewhere cause i don't need lot of training so relevant jobs with having the experiance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭armadillo86

My basic message is: there is no point going over to Canada if you're going to work in a bar, coffee shop or retail type job, which is what most of the Irish college graduates end up doing. Minimum wage in Ontario is CAD$10.25 (= €6.80). I know a lot of you are frustrated and bored sitting at home in Ireland on the dole, but running off to Canada isn't a magic quick-fix. You'll end up coming home 2/3 months later €5000 worse off. Spend 3 months travelling across the country on a visa waiver instead - Canada really is a fantastic experience and you'll meet many other backpackers along the way. The IEC is ideal for tradespeople in my opinion.

I agree with some of your points apart from the one above. How do you expect somebody who's on the dole in Ireland to be able to afford to travel around Canada for 3 months without having any income? Not sure of your personal situation but I myself have been on the dole in the past and let me tell you, backpacking around Canada or any other country was the least of my worries back then, rather how I was going to make ends meet in Ireland by paying rent and bills etc.

Also, I know of plenty of people who have managed to secure permanent residency in Canada through the PNP programme doing the "menial" jobs you list above. Not trying to attack your opinion but it just seems incredibly biased towards people with trades or other skills. Not everybody is lucky enough to go out there with a trade or degree in IT, doesn't mean we deserve to be there any less than you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭amber23

Karbolt wrote: »
    I agree with some of your points apart from the one above. How do you expect somebody who's on the dole in Ireland to be able to afford to travel around Canada for 3 months without having any income? Not sure of your personal situation but I myself have been on the dole in the past and let me tell you, backpacking around Canada or any other country was the least of my worries back then, rather how I was going to make ends meet in Ireland by paying rent and bills etc.

Also, I know of plenty of people who have managed to secure permanent residency in Canada through the PNP programme doing the "menial" jobs you list above. Not trying to attack your opinion but it just seems incredibly biased towards people with trades or other skills. Not everybody is lucky enough to go out there with a trade or degree in IT, doesn't mean we deserve to be there any less than you do.

I lived in Canada for 3 years, first year and a half was in Toronto, managing a restaurant, the rest was working in admin for the Calgary board of education. its actually my role in the restaurant that is going to secure me permanent residency, the good job in calgary was worthless when it came to PR. also, i do agree that most people tend to head to Toronto and Vancouver, it is tough enough going trying to get work there, there are so many other places in Canada, do your research, and use agencies to get your foot in the door. They rip you off, but its all about who you know in Canada. I got into the board of education this way and they took me on full time then. one more point, bar jobs make a really good income in Canada, tipping is 15%, wages are low, but on a busy Friday and Saturday night, you would clean up! It is true, that you sort of start at the bottom again when you get to Canada, not always, obviously some people get great jobs, but everyone says Canada is booming and you should pick up a job within days of getting there, this is not the case, unless you have a trade and you are in Alberta, so please keep that in mind. Canada is an amazing country, so if you do get the chance, travel around a bit. Its scenery is breathtaking. Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭NewsMeQuick

That's an intriguing question Nicolo.

I can't ignore that the official unemployment rate in Canada was below that of the US for the past five years, but now the US has the lower figure. There are many other details to consider though. I read an economics report last week that compared the two figures and economies. Apparently, the two countries use very different figures. They are compared, but they are not comparable, if the numbers included are not like for like. The point they made was that the US seems to have much less unemployment, especially compared with Europe, but while it's lower, it's not drasitcally so. Liberty Street Economics is the search term.

It's great to get different sides to this. It can be very disheartening to some to wander in and see a negative comment or two. You have to see both sides and do your research I guess.

There are a few high and mighty comments on 'who's profession is better' and I don't think it's useful here.

As for booming and other terms, at least in economics terms, booming is 7% economic growth or higher. If growth is less than that, booming is not correct.

Saying that only the 'oil provinces' are doing well would be using a very blunt assessment tool indeed. Consider the 6.6% unemployment rate in British Columbia for example and WorkBC says the actual city of Vancouver has 6% unemployment as of December or January, I can't remember which. Those figures are nothing to be sniffed at. You have to research it, but I seen about two weeks ago that the historical unemployment rate for Canada hovers around 6-7%. The figures today tell us that things are normal. Some of their politicians and the media say they're at 'pre-recession' levels.

Besides all of that, Canada didn't go through a financial crisis, an international bailout where other people were authorised to direct the economy (in politics, it's an embarassment they say, that you cannot run your own country) and six years+ of degradation of living standards. Even now prices of some key goods and services are rising after salaries have been decimated. That can only result in swelling poverty rates. Words can barely describe the effects of this. Canada hasn't had to suffer this. Consider that with the better employment rate.

Personally, from the sum of all the information that I have gathered in the last year, I'm confident that Canada still offers better opportunities for me. I hope this opinion is of value or interest to you Nicolo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

the biggest problem that i can see in canada for professional people is that they want canadian experience. i have 5 years in i.t and i reckon i would struggle due to this reason,also the wages are much lower in i.t in canada compared to ireland where i currently work in i.t
    As much as id like to go after i weighed everything up it just wasnt worth it.
    But i can travel anywhere else in the world and apply my skills without anyone asking for local experience. canadians eh!

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭amber23

That's an intriguing question Nicolo.

It's great to get different sides to this. It can be very disheartening to some to wander in and see a negative comment or two. You have to see both sides and do your research I guess.

There are a few high and mighty comments on 'who's profession is better' and I don't think it's useful here.

As for booming and other terms, at least in economics terms, booming is 7% economic growth or higher. If growth is less than that, booming is not correct.

Saying that only the 'oil provinces' are doing well would be using a very blunt assessment tool indeed. Consider the 6.6% unemployment rate in British Columbia for example and WorkBC says the actual city of Vancouver has 6% unemployment as of December or January, I can't remember which. Those figures are nothing to be sniffed at. You have to research it, but I seen about two weeks ago that the historical unemployment rate for Canada hovers around 6-7%. The figures today tell us that things are normal. Some of their politicians and the media say they're at 'pre-recession' levels.

some great points here, and reading back on what I posted, it may have come across that I meant only trades people should go to Canada. I wasn't a trades person myself, I simply meant, its not a walk in the park. getting a job can take time, but with persistence, it will happen! I think some people head over thinking they will pick up a job within days, and then are disapointed when they don't. I moreso meant, its easier with a trade, and I also wanted to point out, that the "lower jobs" can be beneficial when i comes to permanent residency also so don't rule them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭kitchenchair

Think outside the box and don't go to the big cities like Toronto or Vancouver. Go to Alberta or Saskatchewan. I got a job as a graduate with zero experience after a few months of looking hard and networking. You have to apply/push yourself and don't think you will just walk into a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭nicolo

Some great responses here guys!

Few quick questions I'd love your opinion on...

I work primarily as an artist. not a fancy NCAD type but an actual illustrator and digital 3d modeller . I've worked on games and tv shows and films over here but the work is free lance and VERY unreliable. I've two qualifications (Hdip in Animation and BA in Design and Digital Effects)
    My main reason for moving to Toronto is that it is a hub for the games industry. there are also a huge amount of jobs in other places but they are mostly French Canadian speaking and I don't speak french.
    Question is - It's been mentioned a few times about how the artsy fartsy degrees mean bog all over there, but have any of you any experience of the games industry?

second question - My girlfriend is moving with me and she has a masters in psychology. over here she can barely find volunteer work, has any one any idea about jobs for psychologists over there?

Thanks!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I can only speak to your girlfriend, but I also have a masters in Psychology and there's tons of jobs over there. I'm going to Vancouver and the job searches I do occasionally being up pages of jobs. I also have several really strong contacts already, which is really helpful. So it might take a little while, but she has a good chance of getting a well paid research job at least.

My fiancé is in film and media production, we're hopeful that he'll pick something up in Vancouver within a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Loblox

Since it's a medical thing, I don't think you can't work in psychology... stuff under the IEC. I could be entirely wrong. I probably am.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭goingitalone

i know theres not allot of media and graphic design work etc . going and thats from people that over there and they said jobs wise even less so in Vancouver in that field .

• Advertisement

Oh dear. People are going over to Canada with degrees in media and animation hoping to make it big. Los Angeles is said to be the international centre of the film industry, yet that city is full of wannabe actors working in restaurants unable to catch their big break. Make sure you have an impressive portfolio of your work built up to grab the attention of potential employers. You may swing an unpaid internship in your field, but I fear you will fall into the same trap as most Irish and end up working in a bar to pay the bills. Remember, it's not only the Irish competing for jobs in Toronto and Vancouver - you're up against immigrants from all over the world as well as other Canadians who migrate to the "big city" in search of work. Toronto and Vancouver are major melting pots.

@nicolo: you say you have experience working on tv shows and games in Ireland. This will work greatly in your favour. Needless to say, the film/games industry is much bigger in Toronto than in Ireland so you will have plenty more opportunities for freelance work even if you don't find a stable permanent position. Toronto is often used as a double for New York by the film industry as it's much cheaper to "rent" streets there. American Psycho and Xmen were actually shot in Toronto. The two cities look similar especially in the downtown area.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭DonnaDarko09

Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone can offer advice or info regarding professions such as banking and accounting? Are people finding it tough to get jobs in these industries? Would live to hear anyone's experience..best places to go/avoid, should you have contacts before you even consider going? Etc..
    Cheers

I've talked to quite a few Canadian friends on Facebook in the last few days and all have said there is work available over there, in Toronto and Vancouver. You may not end up working in the field you studied for but there is work to keep you going. Once you are covering your rent and food you can look further afield and try for a better job. I know if I do get to go over I won't really mind what I am doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Sam Swarek

i was in canada for 6/7months just gone and absolutely hated the place. i had travelled and lived in other countries before and canada is easily the worse place ive ever been to.
    granted, i was in saskatchewan but i had also visited calgary and toronto. its deadly expensive in canada and taxes are very high, while the wages might be "good" you wont save much unless you have a trade and live off in a camp on rotation.
    then the cold is totally off putting aswell, minus 30-50 deg celcius for 6/7 months and everything that goes with it, reading on this forum people say wrapup and youll be fine, thats a load of bullsh.it, no matter how well you wrap up your going to feel those temps, you end up not even wanting to go outside. its just so harsh i cant even describe it.
    the canadians are fruitcakes basically, worse than americans, totally out of touch with reality and the rest of the world. uninteresting boring people.
    i should have researched better before i accepted a job and went there, none of the irish i met where i was living liked the place. i lost a lot of setting up money be going over there so folks, be very sure its what you want before you go over and talk to as many people as you can.
    im working in the UK now and im much happier, should have done this in the first place and saved myself a lot of time, money and unhappiness!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

Sam Swarek wrote: »
    i was in canada for 6/7months just gone and absolutely hated the place. i had travelled and lived in other countries before and canada is easily the worse place ive ever been to.
    granted, i was in saskatchewan but i had also visited calgary and toronto. its deadly expensive in canada and taxes are very high, while the wages might be "good" you wont save much unless you have a trade and live off in a camp on rotation.
    then the cold is totally off putting aswell, minus 30-50 deg celcius for 6/7 months and everything that goes with it, reading on this forum people say wrapup and youll be fine, thats a load of bullsh.it, no matter how well you wrap up your going to feel those temps, you end up not even wanting to go outside. its just so harsh i cant even describe it.
    the canadians are fruitcakes basically, worse than americans, totally out of touch with reality and the rest of the world. uninteresting boring people.
    i should have researched better before i accepted a job and went there, none of the irish i met where i was living liked the place. i lost a lot of setting up money be going over there so folks, be very sure its what you want before you go over and talk to as many people as you can.
    im working in the UK now and im much happier, should have done this in the first place and saved myself a lot of time, money and unhappiness!

What industry were you working in in Canada?

I'm here a year and a half and honestly think I would be better off in the UK. I'm on a good salary here, but will always consider Ireland my home.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Undertow

Jonty wrote: »
    What industry were you working in in Canada?

I'm here a year and a half and honestly think I would be better off in the UK. I'm on a good salary here, but will always consider Ireland my home.

I’m been living in Oz and New Zealand for the past 3 years and I got my Canadian Visa last September. I was really hoping to use it by this September, but the way the Construction/Engineering industry is there at the moment it’s looking pretty bad. I was really hoping to give things a go in Toronto or Vancouver. But now it looks like my only real options are down to staying in New Zealand or move to Alberta, and there’s only one winner there if you ask me! Although I’ve been hearing the UK is booming too- especially down South.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Starting to wonder if it'd be worth going having no college education, can do retail/customer care in my sleep so not worried about that, but do I really want to go halfway around the world to work in yet another job I can just get here?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 Johnny Titor

I know a guy who refused to take a job in a McDonalds or a Centra in Ireland - he thought these types of jobs were beneath him. Then last year he went over to Canada and got a job in a Subway sandwich shop. The funniest part is he is earning less over in Canada than he would in Ireland. He seems happy enough though. He doesn't plan to stay there forever so it's like an extended holiday for him. I think he's just wanted a change of scenery to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

I know a guy who refused to take a job in a McDonalds or a Centra in Ireland - he thought these types of jobs were beneath him. Then last year he went over to Canada and got a job in a Subway sandwich shop. The funniest part is he is earning less over in Canada than he would in Ireland. He seems happy enough though. He doesn't plan to stay there forever so it's like an extended holiday for him. I think he's just wanted a change of scenery to be honest.
    Id be in the same frame off mind if I go to Canada, using it as two years living in another country, money is not even in the top 50 things I want from my trip. I will be taking any job I can get over there. Its easy to turn down them sort off jobs in Ireland as you have mammy/daddy or the dole to fall back on, in Canada these are not an option

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

nicolo wrote: »
    Some great responses here guys!

Few quick questions I'd love your opinion on...

I work primarily as an artist. not a fancy NCAD type but an actual illustrator and digital 3d modeller . I've worked on games and tv shows and films over here but the work is free lance and VERY unreliable. I've two qualifications (Hdip in Animation and BA in Design and Digital Effects)
    My main reason for moving to Toronto is that it is a hub for the games industry. there are also a huge amount of jobs in other places but they are mostly French Canadian speaking and I don't speak french.
    Question is - It's been mentioned a few times about how the artsy fartsy degrees mean bog all over there, but have any of you any experience of the games industry?

second question - My girlfriend is moving with me and she has a masters in psychology. over here she can barely find volunteer work, has any one any idea about jobs for psychologists over there?

Thanks!

How strong is your portfolio? This is going to be what makes or breaks your job prospects over there, or anywhere that has openings for that matter.

You have a much better chance of getting a job in the games sector in Canada than you do in Ireland. I think there are like 2 openings for games artists here at the moment and I'm pretty sure they are for 2D stuff so, as you probably already know, it's pretty bleak. There are lots of AAA studios over there and the indie scene is much stronger than it is here.

The only other thing I can see being a potential issue is that you won't have a full visa. If you go after contract positions this won't be an issue, but people hiring full time might not be too keen on the prospect of having to deal with sponsoring you down the line.

There is no harm dealing with recruiters from Ireland to get an idea of what the job market is like. If your portfolio is really strong you might even get companies offering to sponsor you from the get go and they may even be willing to offer a relocation package to get you set up. You would need to be a very strong candidate for this tho.

Good luck.

Advertisement