Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is moving to Canada still a better option than anywhere else?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RichFTW

Anyone see this facebook page? https://www.facebook.com/canadiansagainsthetemporaryforeignworkerprogram?fref=ts

Seems to be aimed more towards Asians and workers in smaller towns but still a bit worrying if this sentiment exists among Canadians. Is this a commonly held view or a minority one that doesn't really affect Irish over there?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

astonaidan wrote: »
    Id be in the same frame off mind if I go to Canada, using it as two years living in another country, money is not even in the top 50 things I want from my trip. I will be taking any job I can get over there. Its easy to turn down them sort off jobs in Ireland as you have mammy/daddy or the dole to fall back on, in Canada these are not an option

That's my thinking, I'm not going for a career, more a change of scenery, life experience, meeting new friends etc.
    Plus the states isn't far and I love visiting there, I'll hopefully have enough money to not need a job immediately and just enjoy it for a while, I need a break from everything and it's the perfect chance to do it. I'm 32, not married, no kids, no mortgage, I could wind up hating it and coming home in a few months but screw it, least I tried something different, and I won't be any worse off over there than here, working in a job I despise.
    I think knowing you only have a limited time there will make you take more chances, not get stuck in a place or job you don't like as why would you? it's a huge country, you can always up sticks and go someplace else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

krudler wrote: »
    That's my thinking, I'm not going for a career, more a change of scenery, life experience, meeting new friends etc.
    Plus the states isn't far and I love visiting there, I'll hopefully have enough money to not need a job immediately and just enjoy it for a while, I need a break from everything and it's the perfect chance to do it. I'm 32, not married, no kids, no mortgage, I could wind up hating it and coming home in a few months but screw it, least I tried something different, and I won't be any worse off over there than here, working in a job I despise.
    I think knowing you only have a limited time there will make you take more chances, not get stuck in a place or job you don't like as why would you? it's a huge country, you can always up sticks and go someplace else.
    Hello 4 years older me :D I pretty much hope to have a similar experience to my Australia one, where well putting it nicely I went out there a complete mammys boy and ended up having the time off my life meeting people I never would have met in my home town. I really have nothing tying me down here and like you said might hate it, but giving it a shot is better than the lads around here who consider going to Galway an achievement

Advertisement