Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with cake suggestions

Options
  • 16-02-2014 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hello,

I'd be grateful for any suggestions...

I'm hoping to make a cake similar to this http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/513216#comments

I've tried it but I've found that the buttercream makes the cake too sweet and a bit sickly, if I'm honest...

Would anyone have any suggestions on what would not be so rich tasting? I was thinking of putting fresh cream in the middle, would this work? Or would the cake be too heavy for that?

As you can probably tell, I'm a complete novice and would appreciate any advice.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭phormium

Cream might work but would mean the cake would have to be kept refrigerated so depends on the occasion you are using it for and if it has to sit on display for a while. It would want to be fairly stiffly whipped, possibly double cream might be better for the job. If you are making it 2 tier use dowels or thick straws to support the top tier on it's own cake card or the cream will squish out.

Cream would not be the best for sticking on the chocolate pencils as it would be too soft so you should stick them on with the butter cream or a white chocolate ganache.

Swiss meringue buttercream is a nicer alternative to ordinary buttercream, lots of recipes on google, it has more the consistency of whipped cream and does not seem as sweet even though it probably is but it just tastes nicer I think.

PS That recipe only give instructions for one cake but the pic shows a 2 tier? Is that not a lot of alcohol as well, I don't drink so not sure what that measurement is but 8 of anything sounds like a lot unless they are tablespoon size???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Also, the recipe calls for 1.5kg of buttercream. Even I think that sounds heavy and sickly and I can eat buttercream with a spoon.

It may sound obvious, but buttercream (or Swiss meringue buttercream ) is probably the best to use but you could get away with using very little, just barely enough to stick the pencils on.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 CityChick21

phormium wrote: »
    Cream might work but would mean the cake would have to be kept refrigerated so depends on the occasion you are using it for and if it has to sit on display for a while. It would want to be fairly stiffly whipped, possibly double cream might be better for the job. If you are making it 2 tier use dowels or thick straws to support the top tier on it's own cake card or the cream will squish out.

Cream would not be the best for sticking on the chocolate pencils as it would be too soft so you should stick them on with the butter cream or a white chocolate ganache.

Swiss meringue buttercream is a nicer alternative to ordinary buttercream, lots of recipes on google, it has more the consistency of whipped cream and does not seem as sweet even though it probably is but it just tastes nicer I think.

PS That recipe only give instructions for one cake but the pic shows a 2 tier? Is that not a lot of alcohol as well, I don't drink so not sure what that measurement is but 8 of anything sounds like a lot unless they are tablespoon size???

Thank you so much for your advice.

I'll give the Swiss meringue bc a try. I haven't used that yet so maybe that will work.

My attempt at this cake was NOWHERE near how it looked in the receipe!! Lol!! I only made one tier and it was very novice looking. But hoping to improve...it was my first attempt! Please don't laugh :D
    cake.jpeg

I omitted the alcohol tho.

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

For a first attempt, that's not bad. A couple of suggestions that I think will help make it look better next time:

perhaps equally space the strawberries around the edge, pointing inwards with the backs against the twists would neaten it up.

Making all the twists a uniform or similiar length. But then again, the appearance of randomness is popular these days.

Instead of more white choc shards sprinkled on top, perhaps some dark or milk choc. And a single sprig of mint in the middle is a nice touch.

Most importantly, how does it taste? Did you enjoy it? Because if it looks beautiful, but tastes dry and nasty, its all for nothing. But if it tastes great, the appaerance can be forgiven and fixed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

• Advertisement

Thank you for your suggestions, yep I think you're right, I do want it to be a bit more professional looking so will definitely do as you suggested
    LD 50 wrote: »

Most importantly, how does it taste? Did you enjoy it? Because if it looks beautiful, but tastes dry and nasty, its all for nothing. But if it tastes great, the appaerance can be forgiven and fixed.

The cake itself tasted Ok, it was just a bit too sweet with all the buttercream. I think even a large slice would have been a bit too sickening. I just thought it might have been nicer with a bit of fresh cream instead but I know now that is a little impractical for the type of cake I want to do.

Thanks for all your advice

Thanks sawdoubters, I haven't cone across this one so might give it a try after the Swiss meringue. It would be great to compare.

Much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

Have you tried maybe cream cheese frosting instead of the buttercream which can be a bit sickly or a white choc ganache?

Mince Pie wrote: »
    Have you tried maybe cream cheese frosting instead of the buttercream which can be a bit sickly or a white choc ganache?

I haven't and that might work very well, I hadn't thought of it. Actually the choc ganache could be the job...

Advertisement