Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stick with my course or switch to Philosophy/Arts?

Options
  • 16-02-2014 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hello all,
    I hope this is the right forum for this, if not, I'm sure you can point me in the right direction!
    I am a Second year student in the Bachelor of Corporate Law course in NuiGalway.
    To tell the truth, I dislike it more and more each day. I'm no longer interested in any of the material and find some of the more maths-based subjects very difficult. I also can't see myself working in the legal field any more.
    I have gone over and over in my head what I should study instead, and the only course I feel I would actually enjoy is Philosophy in UCD or Arts, taking Psychology, Sociology, or Philosophy. The thing is, I'm wondering, would this be a huge risk job prospects-wise, and money-wise, and would I be better staying in my current law course for the next two years, no matter how much I dislike it?
    Sorry if I'm rambling I'm just at such a loss as to what I should do next. :o All opinions are welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

AhWhatNow wrote: »
    Hello all,
    I hope this is the right forum for this, if not, I'm sure you can point me in the right direction!
    I am a Second year student in the Bachelor of Corporate Law course in NuiGalway.
    To tell the truth, I dislike it more and more each day. I'm no longer interested in any of the material and find some of the more maths-based subjects very difficult. I also can't see myself working in the legal field any more.
    I have gone over and over in my head what I should study instead, and the only course I feel I would actually enjoy is Philosophy in UCD or Arts, taking Psychology, Sociology, or Philosophy. The thing is, I'm wondering, would this be a huge risk job prospects-wise, and money-wise, and would I be better staying in my current law course for the next two years, no matter how much I dislike it?
    Sorry if I'm rambling I'm just at such a loss as to what I should do next. :o All opinions are welcome.

One thing to consider: you can begin a law career after doing a philosophy degree (if you still want to do law), but you will almost certainly never have another opportunity to formally study philosophy.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

Hello all,

Be aware that you would have to pay 2 years full fees if you change course in that case. :(

This last bit is important. If you are planning only to use the law degree only as a general degree, and the inherent transferable skills that it possesses, then there are no better job prospects for it than for an arts degree (perhaps less even, as businesses may question why you aren't choosing an 'obvious' employment route, given your qualification).
    I have gone over and over in my head what I should study instead, and the only course I feel I would actually enjoy is Philosophy in UCD or Arts, taking Psychology, Sociology, or Philosophy.

Well law from NUIG to Arts in UCD is certainly a big leap - different courses, part of the country, and campus. While the options available in the omnibus route may be a boon if you aren't entirely sure what you want to do (and you probably sure as hell don't want to 'get it wrong' twice) there are two small things to consider:
    • Getting into psychology through the omnibus entry is very difficult (due to limited places and whatnot)
    • Arts in UCD is massive.

The second point is really a social rather than academic issue. It is, quite frankly, quite difficult to make social connections in courses that contain several hundred people. While the UCD campus is very nice, and has plenty of opportunities available, it can be a bit daunting, particularly if you aren't from Dublin.
    The thing is, I'm wondering, would this be a huge risk job prospects-wise, and money-wise, and would I be better staying in my current law course for the next two years, no matter how much I dislike it?

Well, in the short term you would certainly be financially better off continuing with the law degree. In the long term it probably won't make much difference. Also, if you dislike the law degree and barely scrape a 3 or a 2.2 your prospects will not be as good as a 2.1 or 1.1 in an arts degree, particularly if you do not particularly intend to work in law.

Arts Omnibus full-fees (EU) will cost €5800 p/a
    Also grants will not be considered for educational non-progression.

Good luck in your decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 AhWhatNow

Oh no, I didn't realise I'd have to pay 5,800 a year..That rules it out completely, then :(
    Back to square one, I guess..Thanks a lot anyway, guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭PCX

I feel for your situation. I found myself in a similar position a few years ago. However you should think about this carefully.
    One thing to consider: you can begin a law career after doing a philosophy degree (if you still want to do law), but you will almost certainly never have another opportunity to formally study philosophy.

It depends on why you want a degree. It would be quicker, cheaper and therefore easier pursue a law career with a legal qualification. You can formally study philosophy part-time though the OU at any stage of your life (you can take one or more modules -you don't have to take a full degree) if that floats your boat.

This last bit is important. If you are planning only to use the law degree only as a general degree, and the inherent transferable skills that it possesses, then there are no better job prospects for it than for an arts degree (perhaps less even, as businesses may question why you aren't choosing an 'obvious' employment route, given your qualification).

Having worked in business for over a decade I'd disagree with this. In the past few years lots of people have left the legal profession due to the lack of work for barristers/solicitors. Many people with law degrees don't go on to practice. I cannot imagine an employer holding the fact that you have a legal degree against you. A well thought out cover letter or answer in an interview as to why you have taken the route you have will easily explain this. A legal degree will open far more doors than it shuts. Lots of jobs involve some legal knowledge without being a lawyer or even the majority of the job - you'd be well placed for these.
    Well, in the short term you would certainly be financially better off continuing with the law degree. In the long term it probably won't make much difference. Also, if you dislike the law degree and barely scrape a 3 or a 2.2 your prospects will not be as good as a 2.1 or 1.1 in an arts degree, particularly if you do not particularly intend to work in law.

If you want the best career prospects get a 2.1 (or 1.1) in whatever you do. All other things being equal for the vast majority of employers and roles a law degree will be seen as better than an equivalent Arts degree (there is nothing wrong with an arts degree but that is my experience in business). Once you have been working a few years this will even out as experience becomes more important than what degree you have eventually (as long as you have one).

If there is another field that you truly want to get into and you would like to go on to masters / phd level then changing now may be a good idea. If not and your main goal from your studies is to open doors in the jobs market then sticking with what you are doing now is probably the best idea. You only have another 3 semesters left and that will fly by.

Advertisement