Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Monkey Puzzle Tree Worth anything?

• 16-02-2014 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi just wondering about a monkey puzzle tree that fell into our garden there last Wednesday with the crazy winds. The tree its self is about fifty years old, one of the bigger ones I have seen.
    It was blocking our drive so we had to chop it up but as we where doing this the ESB were out fixing the power lines that had being knocked by another tree.
    One of the workers came over to us and asked could he have some of the timber because his brother does wood turning and I said work away.
    We asked was it any good for burning in a stove because that's exactly what we were going to do, and one lads said it would be after about two years, and another said it would be worth a lot more to sell to someone that does wood turning.

My question is, is it worth anything our should we just hold onto it for ourselves and burn it?

If it is worth something who would i get in contact with because I didn't see much about it on the web or any for sale on donedeal ?:confused:

Any help would be much appreciated because it would be a shame to just burn it if somebody can use it for something.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Probably get more responses posting in the woodwork forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,227 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

It is surprisingly hard wood, and the nice thing is that the knots do not loosen in the wood. Takes on a lovely golden colour with a bit of oil and varnish. Keep an eye on it if storing it to dry it out, woodworm seem to love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭wayoutwest

Rare enough wood, and sought after by woodturners.It has already been chopped up, so not all of the rings are going to be suitable for turning .Maybe let your woodturner take whats useable, and then chop up whats left and burn 2015.The rings that he does take, should be worth a bit more than firewood ie.100 euro for cubic metre??
    Deffo worth posting in the woodwork forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Alanvtec

Thanks for the advise will post over there too. :D

Advertisement