Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's your biggest FPL regret?

• 16-02-2014 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,268 ✭✭✭

I played casually last year but got addicted this year, so my regret comes from this year. I've been really happy with how my season has gone. I haven't really regretted anything I've done, except selling Adebayor a couple of weeks ago for Dzeko. Had an average last two gameweeks, and Ade woulda made all the difference.

The 7th of February will be a day I will be mumbling about on my deathbed. :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

This season it's probably not captaining a Suarez v Spurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭qwabercd

1. Not getting Ramsey in earlier.
    2. Not getting Toure in earlier.
    3. Not captaining Suarez vs Spurs.
    4. Playing a bad wildcard GW3.
    5. Getting rid of Lallana before he went on a good run.

Used to rue my mistakes but there's nothing ya can do about it so feck it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

There's no point with regrets in this game. You make your decisions and they either work out or you get hammered.

Either way, everyone makes mistakes. The key is making more right decisions than wrong ones, and learning from the mistakes you do make.

The next GW generally comes quickly so there's no point hanging round moaning about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,605 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Starting to play it in the first place.

While I do enjoy the game I do wonder how much more productive I'd be without it. Am hooked now a few years though and weekends wouldnt be the same without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,268 ✭✭✭IsMiseMyself

KevIRL wrote: »

While I do enjoy the game I do wonder how much more productive I'd be without it. Am hooked now a few years though and weekends wouldnt be the same without it.

:o Probably fairly true. I barely even watch football except when it's forced onto the tellybox or for the big games, and yet every Friday evening I'm there reading articles or doing a bit of research.

I had no idea all this madness with GW29 was upcoming until I read that thread, otherwise I'd have been oblivious so I do cite finding the fantasy sports thread as another regret. :cool: It does make the football much more interesting though because it really feels like there's a personal investment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭CSF

There'd be loads but not having had Ramsey at any point this season was obviously the decision that hurt me the most.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

KevIRL wrote: »

I totally agree with this, I wish I could just go out on a sat or sun afternoon with the family without checking my phone every 5 minutes to see what was happening. Im loving FA cup weekends this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

qwabercd wrote: »
    5. Getting rid of Lallana before he went on a good run.

Of everything mentioned so far this is the only regret I don't have :pac:

:eek:

Not owning Coleman this season has worked out to be a mistake but I don't regret it too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,839 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I take too many points hits,if I wasn't as trigger happy I would do a lot better than I do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Destroying my team with both wildcards and having to take points hits to recover. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Of everything mentioned so far this is the only regret I don't have :pac:

:eek:

Probably should've explained that better. I got rid during GW17, got him back with wildcard during GW23. I stuck with Fer instead, whose red card knocked me out of the cup. Awful decision making.

8-10 wrote: »
    This season it's probably not captaining a Suarez v Spurs.

That's one I accidentally missed out on. I was all set to captain Suarez but I (stupidly) didn't realise the gameweek started early. Had no idea a match was even on until I was on Facebook on the walk home from work and someone commented on how beastly Suarez was. Those extra twenty points would see me at well inside the top 10k rank, but what can ya do?

Ever since, I set my captain and vice-captain as soon as the option becomes available. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,075 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

bringing in negredo twice

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

I can probably have plenty small regrets here and there. Ditched Zab before Collins getting myself mixed up with price dropping (Zab had a very easy fixture and got a CS). Benched Gabby and Azpi for the wrong games (lost 2 CS in the process). etc...

But my main regret or should I say mistake is my GK management. I had a thorough look at it and I scored 107 pts from my playing keepers while my benched keepers scored 104 points. I don't think a 50/50 ratio is any good. The maximum I could have scored is 151 points. This is certainly due to my rotation approach which allows me to have a very strong pair (5.8 pts/game on max average) and a decent real average (4.1 pts/game) but it's of course raging to have been wrong on so many occasions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Not having Coleman, Yaya, Lallana or Ramsey at different stages of the season for far too long.

It's been my worst season since I started playing the game and the above is largely the reason why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭yomtea98

When Yaya and Silva were a similar price and going with Davey

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭sanket

Not getting aguero during GW10 when he scored a hattrick. It was a double blow as my rivals had captained him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,147 ✭✭✭G1032

My biggest fantasy football regret is this season as a whole. Disaster from the word go. Can't wait for it to finish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭The Wild Bunch

Adebayor out - Dzeko in too :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

sanket wrote: »
    Not getting aguero during GW10 when he scored a hattrick. It was a double blow as my rivals had captained him.

He only scored 1 goal that week. He had 3 assists though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    He only scored 1 goal that week. He had 3 assists though.
    That was a beautiful week. Aguero and Nastasic were my 2 transfers in that week. Probably my best ever impact transfers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Devia

My biggest regret is not jumping on every single bandwagon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

I've had a number of f**k ups this season, but sitting in top 3k so can't say they've done too much damage. Never had Ramsey, and have owned Yaya for 2 gameweeks when he has done absolutely nothing. I've had a lot of costly transfer f**k ups, most recently last month transferring Yaya and Adebayor OUT straight after using my wildcard. At a 4 point hit. Yaya and Ade scored 13 a piece, while their replacements Silva and Aguero only managed 15 (-4). A 15 point swing! Ramsey still goes down as the single biggest error, I'd be in the top few hundred If I'd had him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Regrets, I've had a few
    But then again, too few to mention
    I did what I had to do , I saw it through without exemption
    I planned each charted course, each careful step along the highway
    And more, much more than this, I did it my way

Yes, there were times, I'm sure you knew
    When I bit off more than I could chew
    And through it all, when there was doubt
    I ate it up and spit it out
    I faced it all and I stood tall and did it my way

I've loved, I've laughed and cried
    I've had my fill, my share of losing
    And now, as tears subside, I find it all so amusing
    To think I did all that
    And may I say, not in a shy way,
    "Oh, no, oh, no, not me, I did it my way"

For what is a man, what has he got?
    If not himself, then he has naught
    The right to say the things he feels and not the words of one who kneels
    The record shows I took the blows and did it my way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

CSF wrote: »
    That was a beautiful week. Aguero and Nastasic were my 2 transfers in that week. Probably my best ever impact transfers.

Me too. 83 points that week and Natastic, Aguero (C) and Silva were responsible for 58 of them. And to think that I thought my season was turning for the better at that point :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

Sticking with RVP for way too long and never getting Ramsey in.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

have never had ramsey, yaya or coleman. Just outside 20k now Im doing it the hard way;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,444 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Getting in Oscar..... twice!

• Advertisement

This season: refusing to believe Ramsey would continue for as long as he did.

Previously: selling berbatov the night before he bagged 5 against blackburn. ****er hadn't scored in about 7 or 8 weeks, but I stuck by him. Finally got rid, and he put BB to the sword.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭shayno90

This season, slow to get Suarez and Aguero in when they did well in November.

Last season or one before that, worst was switching captaincy from RVP on Saturday morning before he got a hat trick that afternoon.
    Iroced speculating that RVP would be rested, note to self ignore speculation on the Saturday morning :rolleyes: Lesson learned :)

shayno90 wrote: »
    Last season or one before that, worst was switching captaincy from RVP on Saturday morning before he got a hat trick that afternoon.
    Iroced speculating that RVP would be rested, note to self ignore speculation on the Saturday morning :rolleyes: Lesson learned :)

Hum. Strange wording in your sentence :rolleyes:... Just to remind you ;):
    1) Wenger was speculating.
    2) I reported it and made it big as I was asking the question for myself first.
    3) That opened a discussion with several boardsies.
    4) The conclusion was "RVP will surely play" / "Wenger can't afford to rest him".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭The Wild Bunch

RVP TO AGUERO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 547 ✭✭✭shayno90

iroced wrote: »
    Hum. Strange wording in your sentence :rolleyes:... Just to remind you ;):
    1) Wenger was speculating.
    2) I reported it and made it big as I was asking the question for myself first.
    3) That opened a discussion with several boardsies.
    4) The conclusion was "RVP will surely play" / "Wenger can't afford to rest him".

I can hardly blame Wenger now, since he didn't post on boards.ie that morning! :D

In any case, if I recall, you captained RVP that day anyway despite the speculation so my mistake for switching captaincy based on that.

Lesson learnt, always stick the captaincy on the top in form player and have a good back up vice captain.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭hurlingman97

Sticking with Ramsey for too long after he got injured.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Selling Hazard the week he got a hattrick. Pretty much cost me the battle against my biggest rival.

Also thinking having two Liverpool strikers is too much.

shayno90 wrote: »
    I can hardly blame Wenger now, since he didn't post on boards.ie that morning! :D

In any case, if I recall, you captained RVP that day anyway despite the speculation so my mistake for switching captaincy based on that.

Lesson learnt, always stick the captaincy on the top in form player and have a good back up vice captain.

Yeah, if boards.ie did not exist I would have switched (C) though.

Never paid any real attention to Wenger (and managers in general) reactions after that "incident".

And, decided to choos my (C) with FFS poll most times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Ah the year Ronaldo went mad with the goals. Refused to get him in as am an Arsenal fan and didnt want to be supporting him that year as we were challenging for the league. ended up in top 10000 but always wonder what could have been if i signed him up.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Skippy44

I totally agree with this, I wish I could just go out on a sat or sun afternoon with the family without checking my phone every 5 minutes to see what was happening. Im loving FA cup weekends this year.

Think I remember Carlcon posting that as soon as he exchanged wedding vows he fecked off into the bogs to check the latest scores on his phone :pac:. Fair play to him for waiting that long I say:D. This season I regret ballsing up my team twice with wildcards in order to facilitate RVP, who was due:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭skippy15

at 3: we have sticking with Ramsay for too long,
    At 2: we have missing the cruise boat on Toure and refusing to get him in then
    At 1: Starting this game and getting so dam addicted. Only a matter of time before FF starts becoming the reason for divorces....need my fix....

• Advertisement

In the end, looks like thinking of being clever (:rolleyes:) with getting Sagna during my Jan WC instead of Koscielny could cost me a lot of cash comes GW38...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,147 ✭✭✭G1032

Forgetting about the disaster that was FF from August to Christmas another huge mistake was sticking with Silva over Toure with my Jan WC.
    The implications of that decision have been enormous. If I'd taken Yaya I wouldn't have been able to afford Baines so I'd have just kept Coleman. I now have no Everton defender.
    I also would not have been able to afford RVP just before the Fulham game. That means I'd still have Adebayor and would obviously have had him for his big haul. All in all, between hits and lost points I'm probably 40-50 points down because of the decision to keep Silva over Yaya. That would have me within 50 points of PL leader having been 143 behind a few weeks ago. I'd also still have a major shot at €500 first prize. Now I'm struggling to get 4th or 5th.
    I reckon I've made enough bad decisions this season to last me the next 5. This season can't end quick enough.

Skippy44 wrote: »
    Think I remember Carlcon posting that as soon as he exchanged wedding vows he fecked off into the bogs to check the latest scores on his phone :pac:. Fair play to him for waiting that long I say:D. This season I regret ballsing up my team twice with wildcards in order to facilitate RVP, who was due:mad:

What happened to that guy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

8-10 wrote: »
    What happened to that guy?

He pulled back from FF. Decided the stress wasn't worth it. A shame because he was a good contributor.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Not once this season have I had Yaya or Ramsey. All the same I've been steady around the top 7000 since before xmas. Can only imagine where Id be if Id had those 2 from early days, points wise and price rise!

Also made a balls of the January Wildcard (which I hate I might add)

Lemlin wrote: »
    He pulled back from FF. Decided the stress wasn't worth it. A shame because he was a good contributor.

Wow. If it's stresses you out that much it's definitely not for you. That's a little ridiculous to be honest. It's just a few games a week.

Not having Studge the few weeks is now going on the list. I've fallen down to 21,000. :(

Not having Studge the few weeks is now going on the list. I've fallen down to 21,000. :(

Me too and he keeps going up in value despite the blank. Will downgrade my defence to get him in for the double

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Ditto

That and benching Bony and selling Giroud for Adebayor last week :o:mad::(

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭sanket

I guess selling Suarez last week would top the list, come the end of the season...

• Advertisement
Advertisement