Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Athenry

Options
  • 16-02-2014 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Hey Guys,
    Currently my partner and I are house hunting an looking towards Athenry area. Recently viewed in Cluain na Cathrach - but apparently there is a halting site nearby? Anybody know of any issues? Apparently AE was saying that prices in Athenry have fell alot from boom times - the must have been very high as even now I wont consider them completely reasonable- alot of the estates are unfinished etc?
    Also what is the broadband connections like out there (an in athenry in general)? Other half works from home so would require a good connection.
    Cheers,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭islander222

There is a halting site a little further out that road, but I've got friends in the Cluain na Cathrach estate and the one directly across the road - they've had no issues.
    Broadband is fine, I work from home a bit and the eircom (and previously Vodafone) broadband is perfect for me (think its 8 Meg).

• Registered Users Posts: 10 gjfrazer

i'm in caislean oir estate and its grand we have sky broadband & find it better than eircom. There's a few estates in the area with nice houses for sale, depends on what you are looking for, sure if you are looking you'll get a feel for the place when you see it and whether you like it or not. House prices have dropped considerably since we bought which was only 5 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

Both myself and my husband work from home and broadband is good (it's why be bought in Athenry actually). If I had had the money when we bought we'd have bought in the town itself, but it was silly expensive, we bought and old council house for a bargain, but it was a fixer upper so you've to have a bit of umpf, but they're the best bargains. We got great neighbours to boot.

Plenty of schools and decent infrastructure, which may be why property was so overpriced. Are you renting or buying? I think commercial rent is too expensive which is why the town is quiet in my opinion, cheap for buyers, but not renters alas. Same with housing, the rental prices are going up but to buy is not so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 russellcr007

I have lived in cluain na cathrach for the past 4-5 years and had no issues from the halting site. i just did a speed test there and got 7.11mb download and 1.05mb upload from landline.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 81 ✭✭lewishamilton

Gort Na Ri..is a very quiet spot private estate,i have eircom and a great little town
    also ya have Brady's Butchers which sell fantastic Chicken Wings in all different sauces :P for only 2 euro per tray (14 in each)

• Advertisement
Advertisement