Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What kind of wiring is this?

Options
  • 16-02-2014 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

Hi all, if anyone with electrical expertise could help me with some questions it would be appreciated.

I am thinking about getting UPC multiroom in my bedroom (ground floor apt) and went looking to see if I have a coax cable/outlet already in place within the room.

I did find a cable/outlet in my bedroom wall but it doesn't appear to be a coax cable. Me being totally ignorant in such matters, would anyone in the know be able to tell me what kind of cable it is please (see attachment photo (1))? I did a bit of googling but am none the wiser for it.

Secondly, there is another box next to the box that has the cable in it (see photo (2)) but isn't readily accessible as it is not screwed in; there appears to be some plastic fitting keeping it in place rather than screws. Might there be any cabling behind it? If yes, what might it be?

Finally, assuming I have no coax cable/outlet in the bedroom how would the UPC tech bring one into the bedroom? The tv outlet is effectively on the other side of the apartment. If you were to draw a straight line from the tv outlet, you would have to go through the wall in the kitchen area and a bathroom to arrive out in the bedroom.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

I'm no expert on this but the first pic looks like phone wires, and the second pic looks like there is hidden screw panels on the face of the box ... try to pop them out and see if there's screws there.

As for the routing new wire through all the rooms, Did you ever hear of Digi-sender ... might be an option for you (and no extra monthly cost)

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭The_Bot

Thanks dickwod1, I'll have a look at wireless video senders to see if they will suit. I'll also have a go at the hidden screw panels but those plastic bits are wedged right in there,not that easy to get any sort of leverage to pop them out.

Well I pulled out the second box and, wouldn't you know it, there was a cable behind it. Based on Google images its a coax cable (see photo) so my problems appear to be solved!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Yes it is a coax and the first one is a phone cable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭freddyuk

If it is old coax it will not carry digital signals.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

its phone cable the other post is coax

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

freddyuk wrote: »
    If it is old coax it will not carry digital signals.
    That's nonsense. Co ax hasn't changed in years and there's no such thing as a co ax especially for digital signals.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

cast_iron wrote: »
    That's nonsense. Co ax hasn't changed in years and there's no such thing as a co ax especially for digital signals.

Sorry to disagree, there is coax that was suitable for the older VHF and UHF signals that were used by the analogue transmission and cable systems, and then there is coax that is suitable for Satellite systems, and in terms of signal loss, they are NOT the same.

If you are linking rooms with Multiroom, the signals will be at UHF levels, so the cable that is there should be OK, as long as the runs are not too long, and there's no damage to the cables. but they may not give the best signal strength, there are varying qualities of coax, and some that was used by builders was not the best quality, and can be a problem when used with modern equipment.

Older coax is not good with Sky multiroom, where it is being used to get the signal from the LNB on the dish to a receiver, especially if there are joiners in the line to the LNB, they can seriously compromise the signal strength.

If you are putting in plates on the wall to terminate the coax that's there, try to use low loss connectors, in order to avoid signal loss.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

the connector hasnt changed but 75ohm wire should be used for digital

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭freddyuk

I accept your apology.;)

• Advertisement

Sorry to disagree, there is coax that was suitable for the older VHF and UHF signals that were used by the analogue transmission and cable systems, and then there is coax that is suitable for Satellite systems, and in terms of signal loss, they are NOT the same.

If you are linking rooms with Multiroom, the signals will be at UHF levels, so the cable that is there should be OK, as long as the runs are not too long, and there's no damage to the cables. but they may not give the best signal strength, there are varying qualities of coax, and some that was used by builders was not the best quality, and can be a problem when used with modern equipment.

Older coax is not good with Sky multiroom, where it is being used to get the signal from the LNB on the dish to a receiver, especially if there are joiners in the line to the LNB, they can seriously compromise the signal strength.

If you are putting in plates on the wall to terminate the coax that's there, try to use low loss connectors, in order to avoid signal loss.

Good to know. However, I think I should be ok as it would make sense that the coax cable that the builders put into the living room area (which works just fine for UPC) would be the same type as that is in the bedroom wall. Or is there something I am overlooking?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

If it's all pre installed around the same time, you should be OK.

While they are mainly used for Satellite connections, the F style connectors are usually easier to install and better quality than the "old" coax connectors, so if possible, use them.

Good luck with the upgrade.

On the other wires, if there are 8 wires, (4 pairs, orange, blue, green and brown) that's more likely to be Cat 5 network cable, which could help with some types of box, if they can be connected to a network, then the cable that's there may be suitable, depending on if you have broadband, and where the other end of the cable is. If there's 4 wires (2 pairs), it's phone cable. The Cat 5 cable can also be used for phone connections if needed.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

If it's all pre installed around the same time, you should be OK.

While they are mainly used for Satellite connections, the F style connectors are usually easier to install and better quality than the "old" coax connectors, so if possible, use them.

Good luck with the upgrade.

On the other wires, if there are 8 wires, (4 pairs, orange, blue, green and brown) that's more likely to be Cat 5 network cable, which could help with some types of box, if they can be connected to a network, then the cable that's there may be suitable, depending on if you have broadband, and where the other end of the cable is. If there's 4 wires (2 pairs), it's phone cable. The Cat 5 cable can also be used for phone connections if needed.

Thanks for that. I'd be comfortable that the cables would all have been installed at the build stage rather than as an addition later on.

Also noted re the telephone/Cat 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

My reply was perhaps a bit vague.

Yes, there is a difference between satellite grade co ax and what might be considered "traditional" co ax. The satellite grade has an extra screen on it, which will give an increased SNR. That's about all. They are both 75ohm impedance, which is what all tv cable is. Of course, the quality of both types will vary widely, with satellite generally being better.

The new Saorview system is digital yet is broadcast on UHF, so the more traditional type of co ax would suffer no more on the new digital platform than on the old analogue system. That said, good satellite grade cable (eg. CT100) is the way to go if you were going to buy some. The cable the OP has seems to be high grade cable used only by UPC.
    freddyuk wrote:
    I accept your apology.;)
    I stand by what I said and still maintain your post was wholly inaccurate for reasons described above.

Advertisement