Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Shepherd Convent Sunday's Well Cork

Options
  • 16-02-2014 5:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭

Any idea what is happening with this place???after the fire in 2012 i heard little more about it except they would need to see was the shell structurally safe,would be interesting to know do they plan to re-develop it or demolish it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

Last I heard is that KPMG are trying to find a buyer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭V.W.L 11

omahaid wrote: »
    Last I heard is that KPMG are trying to find a buyer.

Were they not trying to do that before the fire in 2012???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

V.W.L 11 wrote: »
    Any idea what is happening with this place???after the fire in 2012 i heard little more about it except they would need to see was the shell structurally safe,would be interesting to know do they plan to re-develop it or demolish it?

I believe it's structurally unsound but there are conditions relating to the sale of the land because of the history that is making the sale 'difficult'.

I'd hope it's new life will be sympathetic to it's past.

Andip wrote: »
    I believe it's structurally unsound but there are conditions relating to the sale of the land because of the history that is making the sale 'difficult'.

I'd hope it's new life will be sympathetic to it's past.

I am trying to find more info on it,i know the 2003 fire resulted in demolition of part of it then,there are a few graves in site i believe???whats the asking price for it?st kevins is going for about €250k

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dob74

V.W.L 11 wrote: »

What a waste. Does it have a resale value. A half destoryed listed building? Its a shame it cant be used as a museum or give it to UCC or some other public use.
    The long building on the lee road being sold as apartments. Do people know the history of this place. Would be like buying an apartment built in Aushwitz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭angeline

250k is reasonable for St Kevin's if you have a few bob to spare!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

Dob74 wrote: »
    Do people know the history of this place. Would be like buying an apartment built in Aushwitz

Very good, I'd be afraid of the ghosts.

angeline wrote: »
    250k is reasonable for St Kevin's if you have a few bob to spare!

Imagine the renovation costs!!i've no doubt it'd be ten's of millions of euro

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Another building I would think that they are just waiting to disappear so they can build more aparatments on it. Sure all these fires!! Me thinsk they start them myself..

There are still graves there in little nellies graveyard and I was told her statue is still there. There is suppose to be a mass grave there also of bodies shame on the HSE.

I would say there will be another fire there in the next couple of years getting rid of what is left of the building, then they will come in and build something mad like a Dublin Spire, or Apartments or something completely useless as per usually..

Disgrace they have left both these sites go to ruin

Milly33 wrote: »
    Another building I would think that they are just waiting to disappear so they can build more aparatments on it. Sure all these fires!! Me thinsk they start them myself..

There are still graves there in little nellies graveyard and I was told her statue is still there. There is suppose to be a mass grave there also of bodies shame on the HSE.

I would say there will be another fire there in the next couple of years getting rid of what is left of the building, then they will come in and build something mad like a Dublin Spire, or Apartments or something completely useless as per usually..

Disgrace they have left both these sites go to ruin

Remember the previous fire in 2003???they had to demolish part of it that time,i think it was the laundry room,st kevin's is heading the same way I fear,i'd say there's more to the grounds of the good shepherd than we know,mass graves etc as you say. :confused:

• Advertisement

mmm there was suppose to be some building knocked down before and when clearing it away they found a few bones it wasn't close to the graveyard or anything so it sounded a bit dodge..

mmm there was suppose to be some building knocked down before and when clearing it away they found a few bones it wasn't close to the graveyard or anything so it sounded a bit dodge..
    could only be the laundry so I imagine,thats the only part that was knocked in recent times to the best of my knowledge,but yes I heard the story of the remains just not as a result of the demolition,cant find any close up shots of it post the 2012 fire,the place is like fort knox I heard.you cant get in or out

theres ways

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Neil Prendeville mentioned something about little Nellie and her grave today.

I didn't realise the convent and grounds were still accessible.

Is this building structurally unsafe?

They arent really accessible just like if you manage it, there is a lot of cameras around

They arent really accessible just like if you manage it, there is a lot of cameras around

Interesting. Look at RedFM on twitter or facebook and you'll see a few photos. Recently apparently. Between the good shepherd and st Kevin's it will be a case of which will fall first.

Maybe he had permission to get in there. It isnt normally open to everyone

Maybe he had permission to get in there. It isnt normally open to everyone

Isn't it in the hands of receivers? Are they known to grant permission in cases like this?

In cases like what, sorry.. If you mean for someone from a radio station probably yeah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

It was very recently sold again. Hopefully some progress there soon.

• Advertisement

In cases like what, sorry.. If you mean for someone from a radio station probably yeah

In cases like an ordinary joe soap going in there. He wasn't from the radio station.

It was very recently sold again. Hopefully some progress there soon.

Interesting. Is the shell of the building even stable I wonder. I live less than a mile from it yet have never been on the grounds.

The latest I've heard on this is that a residents meeting has been called in blarney street regarding the development of the site.

Is the convent building structurally sound for such development?

Id say not. Just saw the plans there... Gues what they are going to do with it, go on.. Bet ye cant? http://www.eveningecho.ie/cork-news/240-apartment-plan-former-good-shepherd-convent-site/2607561/

Id say not. Just saw the plans there... Gues what they are going to do with it, go on.. Bet ye cant? http://www.eveningecho.ie/cork-news/240-apartment-plan-former-good-shepherd-convent-site/2607561/

It looks very clear that the original building is being kept.
    Are they removing sections of it in the centre/rear?

Neil Prendeville was just talking to people objecting to proposals to redevelop the site.

The work on this place won't get off the ground anytime soon.

More than 100 people turned out at a meeting opposing the latest proposal for the good shepherd convent.

699 people live in the general locality surrounding the building and if the proposal were to be developed as proposed it would bring 900 extra people into the area.

As someone living nearby i half see their point.

It's a very tight area with the only bus passing the building being a tour bus.

http://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/Good-Shepherd-apartment-plan-is-labelled-ludicrous-by-residents-d8819f54-936e-40bb-a525-45687ce51450-ds

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

More than 100 people turned out at a meeting opposing the latest proposal for the good shepherd convent.

699 people live in the general locality surrounding the building and if the proposal were to be developed as proposed it would bring 900 extra people into the area.

As someone living nearby i half see their point.

It's a very tight area with the only bus passing the building being a tour bus.

http://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/Good-Shepherd-apartment-plan-is-labelled-ludicrous-by-residents-d8819f54-936e-40bb-a525-45687ce51450-ds

Cork city needs;

- housing
    - population increase
    - densification
    - to redevelop vacant sites

this is an important site in this respect; its potential should be maximised and anything under 200 units is irresponsible. imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,315 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The security and privacy issues... they ever hear of things called curtains?

They're willing to accept oldies to move there, but not anyone else.

Advertisement