Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Shepherd Convent Sunday's Well Cork

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

NIMBYism at its finest. We need urban residential development. If the residents want privacy they need to realise they're living in the middle of a city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

namloc1980 wrote: »
    NIMBYism at its finest. We need urban residential development. If the residents want privacy they need to realise they're living in the middle of a city.

What the residents themselves say about privacy etc i don't agree with.

How tight the streetscape is for extra traffic etc is the main thing.

I don't condone NIMBYism in any way shape or form.

I live next to Apple, that place is a building site for a number of years now, it's for the betterment of the city, on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Goldmund

Tend to agree with Mire.

Also not sure how 200 units would lead to an increase of 900 people in the locality?

Couldn’t there be a new bus route?

Goldmund wrote: »
    Tend to agree with Mire.

Also not sure how 200 units would lead to an increase of 900 people in the locality?

Couldn’t there be a new bus route?

The number 211 bus used to go along that general area but doesn't operate any longer.

While a bus can and does turn from Sunday's well up to Convent Avenue, the only real place they can stop is outside the gaol.

Coming back down Strawberry Hill onto Shanakiel road in itself can be difficult for a car, let alone a bus, and only recently a bus crashed/had an accident there.

I assume that they don't expect all the units to be single occupancy hence the figure of 900.

However that would mean an average of over 4 per unit which seems a bit much.

Sardines in a sardine can comes to mind.

The number 211 bus used to go along that general area but doesn't operate any longer.

While a bus can and does turn from Sunday's well up to Convent Avenue, the only real place they can stop is outside the gaol.

Coming back down Strawberry Hill onto Shanakiel road in itself can be difficult for a car, let alone a bus, and only recently a bus crashed/had an accident there.

I assume that they don't expect all the units to be single occupancy hence the figure of 900.

Scaremongering also comes to mind

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

Goldmund wrote: »

Scaremongering also comes to mind

Average household size is about 2.2

mire wrote: »
    Average household size is about 2.2

The figures are well off then

The figures are well off then
    From 2011 census for cork city:

29.3% of households are single person

18.2% couples with no children

23.4% couples with children

11.8% lone parent family

Average number of children per family = 1.2 (versus national average of 1.4)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Approved for 180 units apparently

I dread the traffic congestion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭mire

I dread the traffic congestion.

we need to get real about urban development in this city.

one way to deal with traffic congestion is to develop urban areas at medium to high densities. these developments support public transport, walking and cycling. using that site for low density development would be criminal. 180 units is probably too low imo. should be 250 plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

mire wrote: »
    we need to get real about urban development in this city.

one way to deal with traffic congestion is to develop urban areas at medium to high densities. these developments support public transport, walking and cycling. using that site for low density development would be criminal. 180 units is probably too low imo. should be 250 plus.

As we've seen with this and the Nemo Rangers development, the NIMBYs and local councillors don't want that and so you'll end up with a fudge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭snotboogie

snotboogie wrote: »
    Approved for 180 units apparently
    Media reporting it now (through the usual NIMBY prism)
    PLANNING APPROVE FOR GOOD SHEPARD CONVENT DEVELOPMENT

They'll need to organise a regular bus service if this goes ahead, as a local resident i hope it does despite the NIMBYism.

That land needs to be put back into active use.

while i have never been on these grounds, it is my understanding that access to the site is almost impossible, even the gates are welded shut.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,315 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

They'll need to organise a regular bus service if this goes ahead, as a local resident i hope it does despite the NIMBYism.

That land needs to be put back into active use.

while i have never been on these grounds, it is my understanding that access to the site is almost impossible, even the gates are welded shut.

There's nearly always some way in, vandals don't need to use gates.

There's nearly always some way in, vandals don't need to use gates.

That's why i said 'almost impossible' ;)

From an enthusiast point of view i wouldn't mind gaining access.

Can't say i'm surprised at the objections.

I'd love to get up close to the building itself, never had the opportunity.

What do they mean by partial demolition though?

Leave the damn structure in one piece.

https://www.rte.ie/news/munster/2018/0123/935259-magdalene/

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭rebs23

Can't say i'm surprised at the objections.

I'd love to get up close to the building itself, never had the opportunity.

What do they mean by partial demolition though?

Leave the damn structure in one piece.

https://www.rte.ie/news/munster/2018/0123/935259-magdalene/
    Is the building stable enough to leave in one piece?, I doubt it after everything that has happened to it over the last few decades while it has lain empty.

rebs23 wrote: »
    Is the building stable enough to leave in one piece?, I doubt it after everything that has happened to it over the last few decades while it has lain empty.

The building itself is in the developers plans so i assume it must be, the partial demolition appears to relate to a small section to make an adjoining bridge to another building they are proposing to build at the back of it, from the plans i seen online that's the impression i get.

St Kevin's might end up going the same way, the report on that building is that it's safe from demolition also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

That's why i said 'almost impossible' ;)

From an enthusiast point of view i wouldn't mind gaining access.

Hop the gate on the left at the top of Buxton Hill.

• Advertisement

Hop the gate on the left at the top of Buxton Hill.

Hardly that easy :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

Hardly that easy :confused:

It was when I went in for a nose. That was years ago though. But last time I passed its no different. Homeless lads, Drinkers and Junkies were living in there before the 2003 fire, They had an old wooden ladder they would use to access the first floor of the middle building.

Advertisement