Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless router, laptop gets net conectivity, hones do not.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

First guesses would be to check what default gateway and DNS servers are being assigned to the phones through DHCP, these could be set manually to something different on the laptop which is why it works ok.

If you can "ping" from the phones, check that you can ping the router, default gateway and DNS servers by IP address, then try pinging a website by both URL and by it's IP address

On the router settings, check if there's any kind of Device or MAC address blocking/filtering going on.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

stevenmu wrote: »
    First guesses would be to check what default gateway and DNS servers are being assigned to the phones through DHCP, these could be set manually to something different on the laptop which is why it works ok.

If you can "ping" from the phones, check that you can ping the router, default gateway and DNS servers by IP address, then try pinging a website by both URL and by it's IP address

On the router settings, check if there's any kind of Device or MAC address blocking/filtering going on.

Just getting around to this now thanks, everything is auto on laptop and phones. Can't ping anything from the phone, apart from the router.

Phone IP: 80.114.132.33
    Phone default gateway: 80.114.132.1
    Phone DHCP server: 10.1.20.10
    Laptop IP: 80.114.132.111
    Laptop default gateway: 80.114.132.1
    Laptop DHCP server: 10.1.20.10

Will try and find info about the phone now and check is there any filtering, very weird, I've used these routers before and they worked out of the box.

EDIT so everything is the same, I'll check router for problems

Maybe something got to do with the mode it is in, I can select AP mode, router mode etc. AP is the default.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I rebooted and discovered the pattern is that the first device to connect will be the only one that has internet access. Even if I turn off wifi on that device and try to use another it won't work,only that device will ever have net access until I reboot and then the next first device to connect will have net.

I discovered AP mode only supports one device, which is the problem. So I change to router mode and then you cant use the other ethernet ports of a switch to get net access over wired, but whatever, it will do.

Advertisement