Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House insurance - best option for me?

Options
  • 16-02-2014 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

Hi guys.

I need an advice, I'm renting a house and I need to get house insurance.

What I defo need is accidental damage protection for my personal items such as cameras, ipads etc. (with no excess if possible)

Is it possible to get house insurance with mould protection?

And of course lowest premium possible.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

Wicked131 wrote: »
    Hi guys.

What I defo need is accidental damage protection for my personal items such as cameras, ipads etc. (with no excess if possible)

Is it possible to get house insurance with mould protection?

And of course lowest premium possible.

Mould protection? No

get a contents only policy with accidental damage. All insurers offer it

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Why would you want mould protection?

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Wicked131

MugMugs wrote: »

Mould is a common problem in Ireland, that's why, and I presume it costs a lot of money to get it removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

Mould is a common problem in Ireland, that's why, and I presume it costs a lot of money to get it removed.

Common because alot of people dont know how to open a window, or put in a vent, or why drying cloths in a room is a no no.

insurance covers risks all of which happen of an instant. Mould is something that happens over time and is fully caused by the actions of thee occupier so it would never be covered by insurance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

MugMugs wrote: »

Because he has mould ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Wicked131

oldyouth wrote: »
    Because he has mould ;)

Haha, not yet! :D

I'm asking about that, cause I had mould problem in my previous house, now I'm trying to prevent it, but you never know..

• Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Haha, not yet! :D

I'm asking about that, cause I had mould problem in my previous house, now I'm trying to prevent it, but you never know..

You said you were renting which means that mould is the landlord's problem, not yours.

If mould does develops as a result of inherent dampness, only the building owner would be able to claim against insurance (if he found anyone to cover mould). As you are a tenant, the only kind of insurance that you can claim against is contents insurance which would not cover mould.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

oldyouth wrote: »
    Because he has mould ;)

I have a dirty floor problem too but I wouldn't look for a policy covering it.

Anyway OP.

Insurance doesn't cover damage which happens Gradually. Mould is easily prevented. Prevent it and your issue is no longer an issue.

You're obliged to maintain your property when insured. Cleaning and ventilating is maintenance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

Hi guys.

You won't get any policy that covers your items without an excess. Insurers feel you wont act responsibly otherwise.

Advertisement