Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Navan-Dublin commute

Options
  • 16-02-2014 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi there, me and boyfriend are going to be renting in Navan as it's the only place we can afford!! Was just wondering if anyone could tell me what the 109 is like commuting to Dublin City centre as I work there? Any posts I've seen on this topic are from over 4years ago, so would appreciate anyone's help to know what it's like now?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

Tacos wrote: »
    Hi there, me and boyfriend are going to be renting in Navan as it's the only place we can afford!! Was just wondering if anyone could tell me what the 109 is like commuting to Dublin City centre as I work there? Any posts I've seen on this topic are from over 4years ago, so would appreciate anyone's help to know what it's like now?

2 weekly tickets ? ? Would be cheaper to drive !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

2 years ago since I did it ....used taxsaver via work

Bus up usually jammed if waiting for the bus on the main road most blow past usually on cold days

The bus station in dublin after 8pm becomes a drugs den, staff couldn't care less if your asking for advice etc toilets are a disgrace so on and so forth at this time and the bus home is usually full of drunks mixed in with people who have a B.O problem

other than that !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭B_Rabbit

Ticket is €60 a week, not sure about the whole taxsaver thing. The commute is a pain in the ass. You're talking an hour if you get the 7.20am bus, and 90 minutes if you're on the 8 am bus. 20 past 8 bus nearly always catches up with the 8 bus.
    Most of the drivers are ignorant pricks too. Buses are generally busy too.

Not a pleasant experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭bladespin

falabo wrote: »
    2 weekly tickets ? ? Would be cheaper to drive !

Isn't that totally ridiculous when we're supposed to take public transport seriously as an alternative???

€120 per week, could run a pretty nice car for that (including tolls) and still have some sort of asset at the end of it all. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Tacos

Thanks for all the feed back!!! I really didnt expect the bus to be that expensive!!! Its ridiculous!!! That's really put a spanner in the works now!!! Now i know why its so cheap to rent there!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭haminka

Get yourself a car. Depends on where you work, I'm lucky enough to work in Blanch so no big hassle but the peak times can be a nightmare to commute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

What it's like to commute on the 109? I wanted to tear my hair out every time I go on it. Usually crammed and horrible to be on. It only got worse over the years (friend of mine regularly commutes that bus)

It works out cheaper for me to drive and park near college (DIT Kevin st) than to take the bus, as I'd have to take the 107 aswell at times that didn't suit

I swore I'd never take that bus again. It's a no brainer really don't go near it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭B_Rabbit

dgt wrote: »
    What it's like to commute on the 109? I wanted to tear my hair out every time I go on it. Usually crammed and horrible to be on. It only got worse over the years (friend of mine regularly commutes that bus)

It works out cheaper for me to drive and park near college (DIT Kevin st) than to take the bus, as I'd have to take the 107 aswell at times that didn't suit

I swore I'd never take that bus again. It's a no brainer really don't go near it

How can it work out cheaper to drive if you include petrol, parking, insurance etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭haro124

Hey here's a link to the 109 thread http://touch.boards.ie/thread/post/89057487 probably put you off it

B_Rabbit wrote: »
    How can it work out cheaper to drive if you include petrol, parking, insurance etc?

Petrol and parking would be the only costs, insurance wouldn't be included as you're covered for more than just the commute, same goes for the car etc.

On the bus you're paying €60 per week or more just to get to the city centre and back, doesn't include any connections etc. It might not work out much cheaper but at the end of the week you'll still have the car for the weekend and you're not stuck with any fixed schedule, oh yeah, and you're not stuck in an uncomfortable smelly, stick seat breathing in other peoples farts lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 Theoffalyman

Hi i live in navan drive to M3 parkway and take the train from there. Really great service. I can provide you with more info if interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Hi i live in navan drive to M3 parkway and take the train from there. Really great service. I can provide you with more info if interested.

I haven't done it, but I would say that would be the best way. You'd avoid almost all the traffic.

Depends where u work the m3 parkway train is only really for the ifsc crowd

beauf wrote: »
    I haven't done it, but I would say that would be the best way. You'd avoid almost all the traffic.

Yep and it allows a break from driving too. About 25 min drive and 30 mins on the train. Also always guaranteed to get a seat.
    C

Vego wrote: »

Not necessarily if you change in Clonsilla or anywhere before Broombridge it takes you to Connolly which has a Dart and Luas Link.

Why? Can you not switch to the next non docklands train?

beauf wrote: »
    Why? Can you not switch to the next non docklands train?

The trains from M3 only go to Docklands. If you want Connolly you have to change at clonsilla or one of the later stops

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

B_Rabbit wrote: »

I'd still have to drive in and park in Navan for the day. So no changes there in regards insurance/tax/parking. How am I going to get the bus when I live in the arse end of nowhere? The 107 passes my road 3 times a day, all at the wrong times and worse still, I wouldn't get home on certain days. Useless!

Petrol? Diesel is where its at and that's cheaper to drive up than a weekly student ticket.

Not to mention the time I save, agro I avoid by not getting the bus and knowing that when you're finished for the day you can hop in your own car and drive away without having to worry about catching a bus/being cramped/damp/stopping to pick people etc

Give me the car any day over the wretched 109 :cool:

Not necessarily if you change in Clonsilla or anywhere before Broombridge it takes you to Connolly which has a Dart and Luas Link.

so ...drive to the train station ...then get a train ...then get another train ....bus sounds a better bet

Lots of people do that every work day.

?

• Advertisement

so ...drive to the train station ...then get a train ...then get another train ....bus sounds a better bet

It was just a suggestion. It works for me as im a 5 minute walk from Docklands.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,354 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

If your work schedule is a normal 9-5/6 I would suggest Sillan tours, usually a lot less crowed than the 109 and they go straight to Stephens Green too.

www.sillan.ie - If you're interested :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

But.. but.. Didn't Noel Dempsey stake his political reputation on delivering a railway service to Navan?

http://www.meathchronicle.ie/opinion/comment/articles/2010/07/28/3998867-minister-stakes-political-reputation-on-delivering-rail-project/

Politicians lie ....im sorry to break that to you

Banjoxed wrote: »
    But.. but.. Didn't Noel Dempsey stake his political reputation on delivering a railway service to Navan?

I believe he did,was it much of a reputation at stake though?

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭BRYAN Is Ainm Dom

Tacos wrote: »
    Thanks for all the feed back!!! I really didnt expect the bus to be that expensive!!! Its ridiculous!!! That's really put a spanner in the works now!!! Now i know why its so cheap to rent there!!!

Have you checked to see if your employer does the taxsaver scheme, it works out at 39 euro a week for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭chrysagon

Theres no incentive to take the bus... crammed, often stinks, delayed, expensive....

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

For the expense and time you'll have to invest/waste in the public transport options, driving is really your only option OP, especially if you're not working in the city centre itself.

I commuted from Virginia to Dublin for a year and absolutely no way would I have been able to do it by bus, despite the 109 and 30 running through the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Geraldo

Vicxas wrote: »
    If your work schedule is a normal 9-5/6 I would suggest Sillan tours, usually a lot less crowed than the 109 and they go straight to Stephens Green too.

www.sillan.ie - If you're interested :)
    +1 for this. I'm actually on a Sillan bus to work now. It's a much better service than the 109 and since I live up past Blackcastle, a lot more convenient too. I usually ride a motorbike but to be honest, they'll end up costing you a fortune. Don't know how a car could save time. Even on the bike I found blanch a nightmare. You'd want to leave early to get through in any way quick.
    Sillan are a bit restricted on times though as there's not many buses. If you work regular 9-5 though that's not a problem.

• Advertisement

Geraldo wrote: »
    Even on the bike I found blanch a nightmare. You'd want to leave early to get through in any way quick.

You're doing it wrong ;)

Advertisement