Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New tv and upc missing channels

• 16-02-2014 6:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,014 ✭✭✭✭

Folks,

My parents purchased the below TV last week and have it connected up via a cable connection and with the TV subscriber UPC. The problem is that every channel that they had on their previous tv can be tuned in apart from the channels Discovery channel and channel 4 which are just fuzzy and the image cannot be made out at all. They also have a samsung tv connected using cable aswell which they moved into the room next tto where the new TV is. I was just looking for advice on whether this could be a fault to log with UPC or otherwise and how can I get the 2 channels working for them. I have retuned the TV numerous times and tryed manually tuning in the 2 channels to no avail. Any advice as to how I could get them working would be appreciated. Its strange that on the old samsung tv that is moved to the other room and an older tv that was in this other room but has been dumped out you could get all channels including the discovery channel and channel 4 clearly

http://www.did.ie/samsung-40-smart-led-slim-tv-ue40f8000stxx-prd

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,726 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

billyhead wrote: »
    Its strange that on the old samsung tv that is moved to the other room and an older tv that was in this other room but has been dumped out you could get all channels including the discovery channel and channel 4 clearly
    What type of TVs were the old ones, CRT/LCD?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,014 ✭✭✭✭billyhead

The Cush wrote: »
    What type of TVs were the old ones, CRT/LCD?

Hi The Cush. The samsung was and is LCD and the other tv that has been replaced was CRT

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

My parents purchased the below TV last week and have it connected up via a cable connection and with the TV subscriber UPC. The problem is that every channel that they had on their previous tv can be tuned in apart from the channels Discovery channel and channel 4 which are just fuzzy and the image cannot be made out at all.

Who hooked up the UPC cable? They hardly included an aerial for Saorview too, by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    Who hooked up the UPC cable? They hardly included an aerial for Saorview too, by any chance?

That wouldn't give them a fuzzy Discovery and CH4. They wouldn't get them at all no?

I assume this a UPC analogue. They aren't using a UPC digital box.

Similar issue here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056815319

CH4 and Discovery suffer if you have a weak signal. The old TV might have had a stronger tuner. UPC can come out and tweak it, but them will push you towards one of the digital boxes.

beauf wrote: »
    That wouldn't give them a fuzzy Discovery and CH4. They wouldn't get them at all no?

I assume this a UPC analogue. They aren't using a UPC digital box.

Similar issue here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056815319

CH4 and Discovery suffer if you have a weak signal. The old TV might have had a stronger tuner. UPC can come out and tweak it, but them will push you towards one of the digital boxes.

Thanks guys. What is discussed on the link is the exact problem my parents are having. So the only real solution is to switch to digital or else the cable might need to be changed. If my parents switched to the Sky provider would it resolve the issue. My dad loves the discovery channel so its one channel he would hate to be without

• Advertisement

UPC might be able to boost the analogue signal. But why haven't they got a UPC digital box. Its cheaper than analogue, which no problems
    with image quality, on any channel.

Switch to Sky is a completely different question.

beauf wrote: »

The DVB-T signal would put 'snow' on the analogue pictures. Not necessarily enough to completely obliterate it, especially in the case of Discovery in the channel adjacent to Three Rock mux. 2.

That Samsung F8000 has terrestrial & satellite tuners & can receive all the free-to-air Irish & UK channels without a separate STB, given the right dish & aerial install, of course.

Thanks guys for all the advice. i will give UPC a call tomorrow:D

...have it connected up via a cable connection and with the TV subscriber UPC....

I would be surprised someone would have an dish & aerial combined on one cable then confuse it with a UPC subscription. Is Discovery on free-to-air?

Discovery is not free-to-air. They do operate the Quest channel on Freeview (UK terrestrial). Reliable reception of the full Freeview service is not widely possible in Ireland, outside NI.

• Advertisement
Advertisement