Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

upc - intrum justitia

Options
  • 16-02-2014 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Ok folks looking for to see what people make of the following.

Was a customer of upc/chorus for over 10 years. And got fed up over the constantly increasing bills. So I'd decided to pull the plug half way through the month and rang them to tell them that I had enough of paying over €80 a month for tv when other customers get tv internet and phone for that price. They offered to give me the tv survice for half price for three months, but I declined. Then said I had to give them 30 days notice. I told them after over 10years and I owe them no notice, because I haven't got a contract with them. So I told them to send me out the bill and would pay the two weeks I owe.
    So when I got a bill for the cost of over €170 I wasn't best pleased to say the least. I called and agreed to pay for the two weeks I owed plus the other two weeks in that month, but they wanted the full amount. We couldn't agree and I wanted to talk to management, the guy on the phone said that there was no one available so I told him to get someone to ring me back. No phone call came. 3 months later a get a letter from Intrum Justitia threatening to bring me to court for over €200. So I rang UPC and they said they made 'numerous attempts' to contact me. Given that I have an answering machine on the home phone and always have my mobile on me I find this very hard to believe. They also said that I was to deal with intrum justitia 'it wasn't anything to do with them basically'. Now given that I'm indispute with UPC, why should I deal with these debt collectors and how was the debt now over €200?
    What should I do?
    I'm so mad with UPC for getting this debt collector crowd involved, I think I'm going to dig my heels in and fight this all the way or would I be just better off just paying, even though I know I'm in the right.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭nuckeythompson

Only deal with intrum via email and refuse to discuss anything over email. you will find that they are reluctant to use email when you are argueing your case

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Five Lamps

What was the 170 for?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,069 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Tell UPC you are only going to deal with them - debt collectors have no legal standing in Ireland unless the debt has actually been sold - something which rarely happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Only deal with intrum via email and refuse to discuss anything over email. you will find that they are reluctant to use email when you are argueing your case

I don't understand the "only deal with them via email and refuse to discuss anything over email" bit. Did you mean "refuse to discuss anything over phone"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

After all the <SNIP> ups that we had with UPC last year I honestly wonder if the accounts department all take the <SNIP> every day. We got rid of it after the fiasco of Horizon and my husband was on the phone so many times trying to get the account closed, being told it was closed, getting bills for an account that we didn't have etc.

A month after we received a Final Bill letter from them stating that nothing was owing and that the account was now closed, they took another months payment. We had to go to our bank and tell them not to allow them to debit the account anymore. Last week we got another bill from them showing that they'd tried to take another months payment, which was declined by our bank. The same bill had credited over 30 euro to an account that we no longer have, and which we have been assured on Numerous occassions, no longer exists. UPC UTTERLY POINTLESS <SNIP>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭nuckeythompson

Thoie wrote: »
    I don't understand the "only deal with them via email and refuse to discuss anything over email" bit. Did you mean "refuse to discuss anything over phone"?

sorry , thats what i meant. refuse to discuss over phone

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Please don't turn this into a general UPC bashing thread. Stick to the original topic please.

dudara

OP - you did owe them notice. Being a long term customer probably meant that you weren't in a year long contract but were probably on a monthly rolling contract. What was the breakdown on the €170?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Ronster29

dudara wrote: »
    Please don't turn this into a general UPC bashing thread. Stick to the original topic please.

dudara

OP - you did owe them notice. Being a long term customer probably meant that you weren't in a year long contract but were probably on a monthly rolling contract. What was the breakdown on the €170?

I supposedly have a 'verbal contract', which I don't recall, I looked for evidence ie a recording that's when things went quite until I got a letter from this debt collector crowd.

The month I left plus additional month ie. 30days notice. I owe 1 month and that's it. Then this debt collector crowd want over €200 and threatening legal action, how does that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

This crowd have recently taken over my credit card debt with my bank.
    About 8 months ago i got sick of paying my credit card bill since 2006/07 and it never going down. Before then i would get letters from the bank stating that if i continued paying at this rate it would be 2024 before the debt was paid off. I just thought F*ck them and stopped paying.

Intrium sent me a letter, i phoned them and ive now set up a payment plan INTEREST FREE. I'll have it paid in a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

@falan Please heed my earlier warning to stick to the original topic of this thread. If you want a new thread, let me know, and I'll split out your post.

OP - do you want this thread moved to the Talk to UPC forum to see if the reps there can help?

dudara

• Advertisement
Advertisement