Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UPC mobile phone recognition.

• 16-02-2014 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

Hi all,

I was previously a UPC customer before going with Sky, recently while visiting my folks, they were discussing ordering a upc bundle, not being tech savvy i offered to call on their behalf.

As soon as i called the free phone number, it recognized my number as being a previous customer. Not wanting to confuse the folks with me, i hung up and set my phone to private number.

But when i called back a second time, the service still recognized my number.. even though it was set to private?

How do UPC manage this?

I immediately called my mothers mobile to confirm that my number was indeed set on private.

If they have some decoding software on their phone lines for unblocking numbers, does this represent a breach of privacy?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Five Lamps

It's quite possible that your network didn't mask your number after you set it on your handset.

You don't particularly have a right to privacy about your number even if you set it to private number.

What would be more of a concern is that you state that you are a previous client of the company. How long ago were you a subscriber? The company probably shouldn't be storing customer data indefinitely or at least in a way that it still recognises you when you call them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭GIMP

Faustino wrote: »
    Hi all,

I was previously a UPC customer before going with Sky, recently while visiting my folks, they were discussing ordering a upc bundle, not being tech savvy i offered to call on their behalf.

As soon as i called the free phone number, it recognized my number as being a previous customer. Not wanting to confuse the folks with me, i hung up and set my phone to private number.

But when i called back a second time, the service still recognized my number.. even though it was set to private?

How do UPC manage this?

I immediately called my mothers mobile to confirm that my number was indeed set on private.

If they have some decoding software on their phone lines for unblocking numbers, does this represent a breach of privacy?

I have worked in two places previously where customer numbers always showed up even if you set it to private. Its not that uncommon.

Advertisement