Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A way to become a pilot cheaply ?

• 16-02-2014 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hi, this has probably been asked before but is there anyway of becoming an Airline pilot without paying out €55,000 ? I know the Air Corps is a good way to become a pilot but they only take on about 2 people per year.
    Can Anyone recommend any possible ways of doing it cheaply ?

If there is no way of doing it cheaply what Aviation jobs woulds would be interesting and pay enough for me to save up to do the pilot training.
    I would appreciate any advice people may have.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,399 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Scotty15 wrote: »
    Hi, this has probably been asked before but is there anyway of becoming an Airline pilot without paying out €55,000 ? I know the Air Corps is a good way to become a pilot but they only take on about 2 people per year.
    Can Anyone recommend any possible ways of doing it cheaply ?

If there is no way of doing it cheaply what Aviation jobs woulds would be interesting and pay enough for me to save up to do the pilot training.
    I would appreciate any advice people may have.
    Thanks

There is the occasional intake to aerlingus , BA etc.
    I guess apart from that, you could do private pilots licence yourself just to get yourself into the air.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Scotty15 wrote: »

The Air Corps is not a good way to become an airline pilot.

Airline cadetships that contribute money to your training would be the only "cheaper" way to become an airline pilot and there aren't really that many of them. Have you looked into Aer Lingus cadetship?

Here's a similar thread from January:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057123169

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭ProfessorPlum

I read the title of this thread and reckoned it could be a short one.

The only cheap way to become an airline pilot is to get a fully / (large) part sponsored cadetship. They are very thin on the ground, and very difficult to get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

If you are a citizen of UK or your parents are citizens of UK, you can apply to RAF

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

you need perfect health and vision

http://www.wikihow.com/Become-an-Airline-Pilot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭ProfessorPlum

Not sure that a lot of that is relevant to Europe. You don't need perfect vision either.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Scotty15

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    The Air Corps is not a good way to become an airline pilot.

Airline cadetships that contribute money to your training would be the only "cheaper" way to become an airline pilot and there aren't really that many of them. Have you looked into Aer Lingus cadetship?

Here's a similar thread from January:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057123169

Hi thanks for commenting I will give that Aer Lingus cadetship a look
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Scotty15

Yeah,I looked into that but unfortunately they are both irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 821 ✭✭✭eatmyshorts

Incorrect.
    Just like every other post you put on here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭folbotcar

There is no cheap way of becoming a pilot. There never was and never will be. You can get lucky and have someone else pay for it upfront, as in a cadetship, but ultimately you will pay for it one way or another.

BTW €55,000 would actually be cheap. You would be very lucky to get away with spending a mere 55k. But as I mentioned on another thread that like everything else in life you get what you pay for. That applies to flight training too. Low priced flight training all too often implies lower quality flight training.

You can also easily add another 30k to those costs particularly if you want to work for an airline that requires a type rating before they hire you. In fact you can easily shell out 100k and still be without a job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

The is nothing, I repeat, nothing cheap in aviation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

Other than the salary.

Advertisement