Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

playstation 4 has died!

Options
  • 16-02-2014 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Came home to play some ps4 today to find my console won't turn on. When I turn it on the light along the top of the console blinks blue and the console switches off pretty much straight away.
    Any suggestions\advice would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Taken from Techblog.tv:

WARNING: My fix includes the step of connecting the HDMI cable while the TV and the PS4 are on. This may cause damage the TV or PS4. Follow these instructions at your own risk!!! Safer, but untested alternative methods are below as well.

Power off your PS4 by pressing the power button until the PS4 powers off. You know the PS4 is off when the light is off. Be certain the PS4 is off before you continue.
    Unplug all of the cables from the PS4. This includes the power cable, HDMI cable, USB cable, optical cable, etc.
    Plug in the power cable and no other cable. That’s right, do not plug in the HDMI cable yet.
    Press the power button until the PS4 beeps twice. It will beep, then beep again in a few seconds. A few seconds later, the blue light will turn white! If it does not, this Ps$ Blue Light of Death fix will not work for you.
    Next, I plugged in the HDMI cable while the PS4 was displaying the white light and the TV was on. WARNING: Connecting the HDMI port while the TV or the PS4 is on may cause damage to the TV or PS4. Follow these instructions at your own risk!!!!
    An alternative method would be to first turn off the PS4 and turn off an unplug the TV. Connect the HDMI cable to the PS4 and the TV, Power on the PS4 by holding the power button until it beeps twice, see the white light, THEN plug in and turn on the TV.
    A third option would be to select a different source on your TV, see the white light on the PS4, then select the appropriate HDMI source on the TV. Please note that I have not tested any of these alternative methods as I do not currently have a BLOD PS4 near by.
    Make sure you select the corresponding HDMI input on your TV. You should then see on the screen a prompt to plug in the USB cable and Dual Shock controller. Please do so. You will now be in PS4 Safe Mode.
    On the safe mode screen, select 2. Change Resolution. Then click ok. The PS4 will then restart.
    At this point, you should reach the PS4 Setup. If not, repeat the steps above and try 6. Initialize PS4.
    If you still don’t reach the PS4 Setup, I was not able to fix your PS4 Blue Light of Death. Contact Sony for a replacement.
    If you do reach the PS4 Setup, follow all the steps. Be certain to update the system software to at least 1.51. After 1.51 is installed, test shutting down and turning on the PS4 to ensure that the BLoD has been fixed.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

And if that doesn't work:

Solution 1: Return the PS4 to the Place of Purchase

Yes, this is an obvious solution. The problem is, your place of purchase may just give you a refund. What you really want is a replacement. Before you head out to a store, check to see if the location has PS4s in stock. If not, call other locations in the store chain until you find a PS4. See if the manager will hold one for your so the last PS4 isn’t gone before you arrive.
    Solution 2: Call Sony for a Replacement PS4

Sony is well aware of the PS4 Blue Light of Death issue and has been processing replacements quickly. If you are close to a main shipping hub, you could have a replacement PS4 in less than a week. Please note that the directions below might be specific to the United States. If you have tips you would like to share for your country, please use the comments section below. Here’s what to do:

Have your sales receipt and PS4 handy. Sony will need the date of purchase, as well as the serial number and model number on the actual PS4.
    Call Sony at 800-345-7669. Be prepared for long hold times. You may even experience dead silence during the wait. Just hang in there!
    Tell the customer service rep that you are experiencing the Blue Light of Death. Note that the rep may refer to it as just the “blue light” as “death” sounds really bad. lol
    The rep will then help you will processing a return. Sony will either fix your PS4 or replace it.
    The rep will send you an empty box. You will use this box to send the PS4 to Sony. Be certain to follow the directions exactly and don’t put anything in the box but the PS4. When you take the box to your local shipping center, be sure to get a receipt.
    Hopefully in a few days you will have a brand new (or refurbished) PS4!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 nd81

Unfortunately this isn't an option as the PS won't power on. Might try bringing back to GameStop if I have no luck with Sony direct.
    So frustrated with this. I thought the reports of faulty consoles was exaggerated but after a bit of research, it does seem quite common.
    I don't suppose you know what happens if you have a game stuck inside when you return for repair? I presuming they will return it without issue.
    "Soundman;89038681"]Taken from Techblog.tv:

WARNING: My fix includes the step of connecting the HDMI cable while the TV and the PS4 are on. This may cause damage the TV or PS4. Follow these instructions at your own risk!!! Safer, but untested alternative methods are below as well.

Power off your PS4 by pressing the power button until the PS4 powers off. You know the PS4 is off when the light is off. Be certain the PS4 is off before you continue.
    Unplug all of the cables from the PS4. This includes the power cable, HDMI cable, USB cable, optical cable, etc.
    Plug in the power cable and no other cable. That’s right, do not plug in the HDMI cable yet.
    Press the power button until the PS4 beeps twice. It will beep, then beep again in a few seconds. A few seconds later, the blue light will turn white! If it does not, this Ps$ Blue Light of Death fix will not work for you.
    Next, I plugged in the HDMI cable while the PS4 was displaying the white light and the TV was on. WARNING: Connecting the HDMI port while the TV or the PS4 is on may cause damage to the TV or PS4. Follow these instructions at your own risk!!!!
    An alternative method would be to first turn off the PS4 and turn off an unplug the TV. Connect the HDMI cable to the PS4 and the TV, Power on the PS4 by holding the power button until it beeps twice, see the white light, THEN plug in and turn on the TV.
    A third option would be to select a different source on your TV, see the white light on the PS4, then select the appropriate HDMI source on the TV. Please note that I have not tested any of these alternative methods as I do not currently have a BLOD PS4 near by.
    Make sure you select the corresponding HDMI input on your TV. You should then see on the screen a prompt to plug in the USB cable and Dual Shock controller. Please do so. You will now be in PS4 Safe Mode.
    On the safe mode screen, select 2. Change Resolution. Then click ok. The PS4 will then restart.
    At this point, you should reach the PS4 Setup. If not, repeat the steps above and try 6. Initialize PS4.
    If you still don’t reach the PS4 Setup, I was not able to fix your PS4 Blue Light of Death. Contact Sony for a replacement.
    If you do reach the PS4 Setup, follow all the steps. Be certain to update the system software to at least 1.51. After 1.51 is installed, test shutting down and turning on the PS4 to ensure that the BLoD has been fixed.[/quote]

Unfortu

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

I would have brought it back before even going near an Internet forum.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's still under warrantee. Bring it back to the shop of contact Sony and you will get a replacement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭jenjenten

nd81 wrote: »
    Came home to play some ps4 today to find my console won't turn on. When I turn it on the light along the top of the console blinks blue and the console switches off pretty much straight away.
    Any suggestions\advice would be appreciated

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Return_merchandise_authorization

Advertisement