Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ps2 hardware mod

• 16-02-2014 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭

Hi guys, i am looking to buy a ps2 as a sentimental birthday gift for my older son who used to love the console when he had one years ago, and lately i have heard him reminisce of the good times he had on it.
    If i was able to get my hands on a ps2 is there anywhere still going that would do a hardware mod on it for me, i believe i had his original ps2 done with what was called a matrix chip, if memory serves.
    Many thanks in advance guys,

apophis :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

You'll have no bother getting your hands on a PS2 anyways, there are plenty floating around on ebay - Sony made millions of them :D

The hardware modder is a bit more up in the air. The Matrix Infinity was the chip of choice, it also has a clone called the Modbo 4 which I've also installed. I've done two but they're not an easy install - both were my own where I don't have to risk somebody's console.

You might look at FreeMcBoot, a softmod - accomplishes pretty much the same as the hardware mod with more features

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭apophis

Many thanks for your reply TouchingVirus,
    Did some looking on this and will follow up on your advice,
    again thanks,

apophis :cool:

No worries, if you need a hand do come back to us

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭mise

Apologies for resurrecting and hijacking this thread, but my question is fairly similar.

I have a slim PS2 which had a matrix clone modchip, but after trying to flash it years ago to update (I didn't realise it was a clone at the time!) it stopped working. Now the PS2 won't read any games.

I mainly used it for playing NTSC games, and I was wondering is it possible to repair this, as I'd love to play a bit of my NTSC copy of Dragon Quest VIII?

Remove modchip, then softmod.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭mise

Thanks, just been reading up a bit more on it.

I have a fat PS2 as well, so I think I'll just soft mod that, once I get the various bit and pieces together

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭Damien King

Just checking in to confirm a successful softmod (free mcboot, Hdd formatted and fitted, ps2 fat) tested and working

Happy Days

Advertisement