Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apartment Complex with No Water Supply and Homeless People

Options
  • 16-02-2014 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

I am having some problems with the apartment I am currently renting.

For the last week I noticed a really bad smell in the communal hallway. On Saturday morning I opened the door to the fire exit and saw a homeless person sleeping on the floor beside my apartment.

Also, there is a strong smell of urine in the stairwell and a bad smell in the elevator lift - I would guess the homeless person is using these areas as a toilet, I got the biggest shock of all today when I saw feces beside the elevator door.

I spoke to one of my neighbors and they said it's not the first time homeless people have been living in the apartment complex.

Also, my apartment has been without water since 13/02/2014

I have rang my auctioneer about the problems and they have informed the property management company. 

I no longer want to live in this apartment complex - should the auctioneer have to refund my security deposit? I am only 4 months into my year long lease

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

darby5250 wrote: »
    I am having some problems with the apartment I am currently renting.

For the last week I noticed a really bad smell in the communal hallway. On Saturday morning I opened the door to the fire exit and saw a homeless person sleeping on the floor beside my apartment.

Also, there is a strong smell of urine in the stairwell and a bad smell in the elevator lift - I would guess the homeless person is using these areas as a toilet, I got the biggest shock of all today when I saw feces beside the elevator door.

I spoke to one of my neighbors and they said it's not the first time homeless people have been living in the apartment complex.

Also, my apartment has been without water since 13/02/2014

I have rang my auctioneer about the problems and they have informed the property management company. 

I no longer want to live in this apartment complex - should the auctioneer have to refund my security deposit? I am only 4 months into my year long lease

As a renter you're entitled to a certain minimum of standards:
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/repairs_maintenance_and_minimum_physical_standards.html

including water. If the auctioneer hasn't found a solution by tomorrow I'd be contacting the PRTB and Threshold. That's terrible to have to put up with that.

Advertisement