Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RAW gym near Rathmines

• 16-02-2014 9:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭cazzer22

Hi all,

Just wondered is anyone is a member of this gym and what they think of it?

I'm thinking of joining and just wanted to get some opinions on it,

Thank you :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,676 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I'm a member. I love the place! It depends what you want but I think it pretty much caters for everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭cazzer22

I'm a member. I love the place! It depends what you want but I think it pretty much caters for everyone.

Thanks for the reply,

I guess I'm just looking to get fitter- some machines, treadmill, weights etc. Is there a leisure centre or is it just the gym?

cazzer22 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply,

I guess I'm just looking to get fitter- some machines, treadmill, weights etc. Is there a leisure centre or is it just the gym?

They do some classes and there are treadmills, a couple of cross trainers, a couple of rowing machines and a couple of steppers but there's a big old gym space as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,178 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

cazzer22 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply,

Its definitely a gym and not a leisure centre. It is a fantastic training facility though.

To give a balanaced view, my only criticism of the place is its weekend hours could be better (closes at 6).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Does Raw have any bumper plates and platforms / floor area where you can drop weights? Cheers.

• Advertisement

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Does Raw have any bumper plates and platforms / floor area where you can drop weights? Cheers.

There are bumper plates and there's a ~30m 'sprint track' where most of the dropping of weights gets done but there's no platform.

This training video shows the track, to give an idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

This training video shows the track, to give an idea.

And is there any issue with using it for that purpose regularly? i.e. if I wish to drop deadlifts from the top or dump Power Cleans out of the rack position, etc is it a case that someone might call me "sir" and ask me to leave? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I don't think they'd care tbh.

The only thing I've seen them stop people doing are weighted chins in front of the mirror.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    And is there any issue with using it for that purpose regularly? i.e. if I wish to drop deadlifts from the top or dump Power Cleans out of the rack position, etc is it a case that someone might call me "sir" and ask me to leave? :)

Maybe if you're flinging them as hard as you can to see how much they'll bounce but I've seen people dump power cleans out of the rack position and no one batted an eyelid.

Except maybe for a person nearby who wasn't expecting it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭bman

I'm a member too. As someone already pointed out, it's definitely not a leisure centre. It's got a good selection of equipment, and doesn't have way too much space dedicated to cardio. It can get pretty busy though from 7-8am and 6-8pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

I went to visit this place the other day to have a look around. I was strongly considering joining up due to recommendations on here. Unfortunately the clown who showed me around was extremely patronising and seemed to think that women aren't interested in weights. He never asked me what I was interested in, but he brought me straight over to the treadmills and said "So here's the machines you'd be most interested in, also girls love spin classes". If he had bothered to ask he'd have found out I hate cardio and I'm only interested in free weights. Also I'm not a 'girl', I'm a 31 year old woman ffs.

I took a free trial form to be polite but I won't be going back. I was pretty shocked at how sexist it was, in hindsight I should have pulled him up on it.

I'd say management would appreciate you ringing up and complaining about it

• Registered Users Posts: 31 artengo

I took a free trial form to be polite but I won't be going back. I was pretty shocked at how sexist it was, in hindsight I should have pulled him up on it.

Whats wrong with being sexy?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

COH up to his usual tricks.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,310 ✭✭✭COH

I went to visit this place the other day to have a look around. I was strongly considering joining up due to recommendations on here. Unfortunately the clown who showed me around was extremely patronising and seemed to think that women aren't interested in weights. He never asked me what I was interested in, but he brought me straight over to the treadmills and said "So here's the machines you'd be most interested in, also girls love spin classes". If he had bothered to ask he'd have found out I hate cardio and I'm only interested in free weights. Also I'm not a 'girl', I'm a 31 year old woman ffs.

Usually those conversations start with something along the lines of 'so, what are you interested in'.. To be fair that's probably how it should have gone but, as a 31 year old woman you also could have said 'no I'm not interested in classes, I'm here to kick ass with the rest of them etc.' and you may have had a much better experience.
    bluewolf wrote: »
    I'd say management would appreciate you ringing up and complaining about it

I agree.
    artengo wrote: »
    Whats wrong with being sexy?

I know.. its a cross I too have to carry every day. Why god... WHY :mad:
    Hanley wrote: »
    COH up to his usual tricks.....

Never would have happened in my day

COH wrote: »
    Usually those conversations start with something along the lines of 'so, what are you interested in'.. To be fair that's probably how it should have gone but, as a 31 year old woman you also could have said 'no I'm not interested in classes, I'm here to kick ass with the rest of them etc.' and you may have had a much better experience.

Well to be honest I went in and asked to be shown around and was immediately swept into the treadmill area and told this is what I would be interested in. I was never asked why I wanted to join, what my goals are, what I wanted to do... which surprised me as this is usually the opener when you go to view a gym. I did mention then that I was more interested in weights but he seemed to dismiss that and recommended I come to the spin class on Wednesdays. I'm actually still annoyed about it tbh. I went to view Icon today and was much more impressed with their approach.

To be fair, you met one person and while they should have done better, it's one person.

And I'd still have said "Yeah, but I'm not interested in any of that." or "I'd be more interested in the weights, to be honest".

To be fair, you met one person and while they should have done better, it's one person.

And I'd still have said "Yeah, but I'm not interested in any of that." or "I'd be more interested in the weights, to be honest".

True, but that person was the representative of the gym. If their rep is being blatantly sexist to potential joiners then that's obviously going to put people off. Well, me at least.

I don't think it necessarily means it's blatant sexism but i absolutely agree he was a representative of the gym.

But I just think people are far too slow to call someone on the service they've provided.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 artengo

How can I hate woman, my mum is one!

:D

He was a sage, Chris Finch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭HamsterFace

Quick question about this place (this is the most recent thread I could find ), the website tells me you get a training plan on joining.
    How good is the training plan? Would it give you a checklist to get you started for the first few weeks at least?

Apologies if I shouldn't be resurrecting this thread, am feeling very motivated to get in shape at last.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

I know this is two years old, but c'mon lads :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Darrenon91

Im looking at returning to RAW after a year away. Just wondering has much changed in there over the last year? is it more or less busy than before?

Darrenon91 wrote: »
    Im looking at returning to RAW after a year away. Just wondering has much changed in there over the last year? is it more or less busy than before?

Noticed it a bit quieter in the evenings at 7pm lately...possibly on account of FlyeFit on Harrington St

Advertisement