Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst LOI player you've ever seen

• 16-02-2014 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭

Mine has to be Darren Mansaram although he scored a few goals when he was with Dundalk generally he was terrible.

Barry Conlon was terrible for us when he signed in late 2012 although the majority of that side were awful players

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Tony Bird - Drogheda Utd
    Pat Scully - Drogheda Utd

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

David Scully for Bohs

/thread

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Not the worst I've ever seen but if someone told me back when he played for UCD that Conor Sammon would play for Ireland I would have thought you were a mental case.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Not the worst I've ever seen but if someone told me back when he played for UCD that Conor Sammon would play for Ireland I would have thought you were a mental case.

This, He has always been useless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭backspacer

Jesper Jorgensen for Galway United,was hoping to engineer a move to England via the LOI,only problem is he couldn't hit a cows backside with a banjo,a minor issue especially for a striker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,567 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Would have to echo the Dave Scully shout. For us at Shels, I would go with Brian Farrell, that was in the First Division though, so if we're only talking Premier Division, Paul Byrne is probably as bad as it got for us.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,798 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Darren Mansaram would be up there alright. Any of Sean Connors signings for Bohs could be up there, Dean Pooley, Chris Kingsbury, Harpal Singh etc. All awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Whippersnapper

The Jason Byrne that played for Bray and Bohs in the 90s. Not the current Bohs player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭sidcon

Jimmy Aggrey for bohs or some defender can't think of his name came from Australia and had ginger hair played under Farrelly Sean something I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Ibrahima Thiam-Iyane for Drogs. He was definitely one of those scam players. I think he claimed to have caps for Senegal.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Darren Mansaram would be up there alright. Any of Sean Connors signings for Bohs could be up there, Dean Pooley, Chris Kingsbury, Harpal Singh etc. All awful.

We were lucky enough to have him at oriel under Seanie, what a waster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

That Latvian striker Silagalis that played for us a years ago. Absolutely useless up front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Kevin O'Brien - played for Waterford in mid to late 90's.....his Dad was Chairman. Wouldn't get a kick in a horsebox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

That Brazilian lad Davi Da Silva who played for Shels a few years back. Poor ba$tard was useless and miles from home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Shane Dunphy playing in goal for the Youths. Now a LOI official

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

The sight of Ger Barron in goals always fills me with dread ever since the 6-0 annihilation at home to Derry last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Liam O Brien is the worst player I have seen play at CCFC. Utter waste of skin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Mansaram isn't the worst we've had. I could name a few but I won't. They'd mostly be lads that came in from junior football when we needed numbers in bygone days.

Worst individual performance I've ever seen goes to Danny Ventre against Vlaznia in the Europa league. Hard to believe he'd go on to captain us to a league title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Glen Fitzpatrick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Joe O Cearuill was sh!te, mad to think he got an Ireland cap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Glen Fitzpatrick.
    He was shocking during his spell with Athlone

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Conor Sammon for UCD against Longford in the cup semifinal was one of the worst performances I had seen...

Rovers had a few around 2004/2005. Stephen Gough, McDonagh, Russell Payne, McDonnell.

First game in 2005 probably had the worst scoresheet in a Rovers/Bohs game. Aggrey mentioned above and Lee Feeney with a ricochet off a backpass (possibly from Aggrey). Martin Cameron started the game for Rovers...dear oh dear.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Glen Fitzpatrick.
    I came into this thread just to post that, he was so useless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Ebbs

dfx- wrote: »
    Rovers had a few around 2004/2005. Stephen Gough, McDonagh, Russell Payne, McDonnell.

Gough with his 50 yard passes to absolutely no one. Payne was shocking, He was lobbed on his line in Tolka, he didn't even take his own goal kicks...as he kicked a few to the striker on the 18yard line. Id add McGovern, Phillips, Cameron (On loan? We assumed he'd be amazing as he banged them in for Gretna).

Jason Colwell was just awful too. For a regular starter for a team sometimes challenging...he just never impressed once.

McDonagh I'll disagree with, he was effective at his job...and a good servant. He was clapped for a long time when he returned to play against us, and rightly so.

Someone said Pat Scully and Tony Bird :o Scully and Palmer had one of the best partnerships in the Eircom league.

You could add a few more recent ones...Thompson, Pieterse, Ricketts, Gartland...

There's hushed whispers of Gough's bullet freekick from the halfway line against Shels past Steve Williams pre TV3 coverage, no camera at the game. I was behind it and I still don't believe it happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Dont care what he didnt do for other clubs :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Marcus Hallows another one for me.

His miss away to rovers in Santry was just ....special.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭miroslavklose

dfx- wrote: »
    You could add a few more recent ones...Thompson, Pieterse, Ricketts, Gartland...

There's hushed whispers of Gough's bullet freekick from the halfway line against Shels past Steve Williams pre TV3 coverage, no camera at the game. I was behind it and I still don't believe it happened.
    At Richer? That was some surreal day.

Thompson the worst LOI player you've seen though? No way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Max Cream during his youths spell. Didn't even look like a footballer. It takes a seriously bad player to get thrown out of an amateur team at or near the bottom of the league

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Definitely Glen Fitzpatrick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

It amazes me that Graham Gartland was paid to play professional football.

No pace, overpowered far too easily, shocking decision-making, and his passing, well... I remember many a sodden day in Tallaght where the crowd groaned every time the ball came his way. His patented 70-yard punt to nowhere still makes me wince.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Mark O'Brien and Bayly up there among the worst I've seen for Bohs, especially as both came with some sort of decent reputation.

O'Brien getting subbed off after less than half an hour against Waterford Crystal in the FAI cup under Farrelly probably the worst performance I've seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Max Cream during his youths spell. Didn't even look like a footballer. It takes a seriously bad player to get thrown out of an amateur team at or near the bottom of the league

Sounds completely made up :-)

I remember CCFC fans not being too fond of Jason Kabia?

Sounds completely made up :-)

I remember CCFC fans not being too fond of Jason Kabia?

It sounds like he was a bit of a spoofer, he had far too many foreign teams on his cv. Supposed to have been decent for shels a few years before though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Dundalk signed a 34 year old Stephen Geoghegan in 2004 and paid him a fortune by first division standards. Surely the big signing we needed to get us back to the promised land of the premier division. Was one of the worst players I have ever seen in Oriel. When we wasn't sitting in the stand injured he was getting rings run around him by lads half his age.
    He played a total of 14 games over the season scoring 2 goals and Dundalk remained in the first division for another four seasons.

• Advertisement

Actually Stephen Gray deserves a mention. Injured most of the time and when he did play he was atrocious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

It sounds like he was a bit of a spoofer, he had far too many foreign teams on his cv. Supposed to have been decent for shels a few years before though.

Kabia was poor, but a tryer. The likes of O Brien just showed up for their wages. A fella with obvious talent but just couldn't care less.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

I recall having a lot of conversations with Kabia when he was a poster in the OTF of the SIGames forums back in the day.

gimmick wrote: »
    Kabia was poor, but a tryer. The likes of O Brien just showed up for their wages. A fella with obvious talent but just couldn't care less.

I meant Max Cream :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Jimmy Aggrew - So bad he became a cult hero

Ashley Bayes - Shocking keeper but will be remembered for making a brilliant save against Shels

Paddy Madden - Bit harsh this selection but I stand by it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭- bo -

sidcon wrote: »
    Jimmy Aggrey for bohs or some defender can't think of his name came from Australia and had ginger hair played under Farrelly Sean something I think.

Sean Cooney! Yep, I'd have himself and Aggrey as the two worst I've seen in Dalyer. Two centre-halves. I'll say Cooney was the worst, as bad as Aggrey was he did score a couple (including one against Rovers) and had a little bit of a cult status for the couple of months he was with us.

Christ, when you think through the Farrelly and Connor years, the amount of absolute duds who lined out for us...

major bill wrote: »
    Paddy Madden - Bit harsh this selection but I stand by it.
    He scored a fair few goals for us when nobody else was and was badly utilised (Up front by himself a lot). He'd easily have started ahead of our forward options the last 2 seasons.

He scored a fair few goals for us when nobody else was and was badly utilised (Up front by himself a lot). He'd easily have started ahead of our forward options the last 2 seasons.

He also missed a hell of a lot as well, if he wasn't such a dickhead off the pitch I wouldn't have mentioned him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Madden should be nowhere near this thread ffs.

Also, Glen Fitz is an absolute hero. He actually had a decent partnership with Jayo for a while.

Alan Moore is another who just turned up for the wages. "Moore Moore Moore, nobody likes you, nobody likes you". Shíte.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

James__10 wrote: »
    Barry Conlon was terrible for us when he signed in late 2012 although the majority of that side were awful players

If it makes you feel any better he was equally terrible when I was watching him for Southend United 15 years earlier.

I'm not having the Pat Scully nomination btw.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Chris Kingsberry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

To those questioning my Tony Bird/Pat Scully nominations, both of them were successful at other LOI clubs before coming to play for Drogs.

Pity that they were both equally atrocious when they did pull on the claret and blue shirt.

Madden should be nowhere near this thread ffs. .

Probably not but alot of Bohs fans don't rate the lad....Prob unfair to shift the blame on him that season when alot of older professionals didn't do it on the pitch either but he was easily one of the most frustrating players to watch in a Bohs shirt.

At Richer? That was some surreal day

Yup at Richmond, in the Shed End. Then Keith O'Halloran scored a direct free kick from the edge of the box 15 minutes later..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

backspacer wrote: »
    Jesper Jorgensen for Galway United,was hoping to engineer a move to England via the LOI,only problem is he couldn't hit a cows backside with a banjo,a minor issue especially for a striker.

I've seen far worse in maroon. Any number of lads signed by Cousins who were on better wages than most in the LOI get now these days, who couldn't make the bench half the time, never mind start. There were a few during Sean Connor's reign too. A few players with visible bellies.

• Advertisement
Advertisement