Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst LOI player you've ever seen

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

David Scully is the real stand out in terms of consistency... Well, inconsistency in this case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

No.1 Jamie Duffy.Decent enough wee winger,He would fly down the wing and then suddenly forget how to cross the ball. :eek: "The fruss".Played for Drogs and Longford also.

No.2 The Rolls Royce Of mid-fielders players as former Dundalk manager Sean McCaffery once called him-
    Hernany Macedo.Played once for Pats also i believe. Beyond awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

No.2 The Rolls Royce Of mid-fielders players as former Dundalk manager Sean McCaffery once called him-
    Hernany Macedo.Played once for Pats also i believe. Beyond awful.

30 odd minutes vs Shels.

Wow he was bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

James Keddy

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭James__10

Paul McAreavey and Mickey Collins were both awful players for Dundalk.

Unfit and over weight and mental Mick was always getting into trouble with referees.

Michael McGinley only played a handful of games that season and was generally terrible.

Jesus, all of these players were from the 2009 season and were signed by the one and only Sean Connor.

What a bluffer!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Ruadhri Higgins right up there for me as well, always hiding on the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭miroslavklose

major bill wrote: »
    Probably not but alot of Bohs fans don't rate the lad....Prob unfair to shift the blame on him that season when alot of older professionals didn't do it on the pitch either but he was easily one of the most frustrating players to watch in a Bohs shirt.

You could hardly accuse him of not scoring goals for you. And his talent was obvious, judging by how Bohs moved the deckchairs on the Titanic to make sure he was paid so they could get a transfer fee for him.

You could hardly accuse him of not scoring goals for you. And his talent was obvious, judging by how Bohs moved the deckchairs on the Titanic to make sure he was paid so they could get a transfer fee for him.

Absolutely, would love a striker like that now but at the time he missed a number of sitters that cost us the league, harsh to blame him as he was just an up and coming talent but he did take a lot of stick for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Wanderers also had the pleasure of paying Steven Gough. We didn't have any expectations whatsoever when he joined around 2005/2006 and sure enough he did nothing to even come close to meeting them.

Despite scoring one immense forty-yard piledriver against Waterford, Steven Gifford was another one who had a largely forgettable time at Wanderers.

Ditto Keith Long. He smashed the ball into the roof of the net for a last-minute goal in a 3-1 win against Bohs once and that bought him some fame but apart from that he was average at best.

Joe O Cearuil, considering he'd won a cap for Ireland, was pure dirt. I remember there was also some guy Drogs signed around 2005 who'd previously been a million pound signing in Scotland and subsequently proved to be useless for them. Can't remember his name, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Glen Fitzpatrick.
    Saint_Mel wrote: »
    He was shocking during his spell with Athlone
    I came into this thread just to post that, he was so useless
    monkey9 wrote: »
    Definitely Glen Fitzpatrick.

I tried not to get on his case back then as you could see his confidence draining with every time the ball came near him but yeah, he was very very poor and to this day I still can't fathom how he was given money for his performances

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭James__10

Although he was in the twilight of his career Thomas Heary was terrible for Dundalk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

theteal wrote: »
    I tried not to get on his case back then as you could see his confidence draining with every time the ball came near him but yeah, he was very very poor and to this day I still can't fathom how he was given money for his performances

We paid a transfer fee for him as well paid him wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

James__10 wrote: »
    Although he was in the twilight of his career Thomas Heary was terrible for Dundalk

He was never that good during his peak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Guntars Silagailis. Watching him play was painful, he had this weird way of running that looked like a middle aged husband trying to show off to his wife running after a ball at someones birthday party. He was one of the most un-threatening strikers, goal wise, I've ever seen at the Cross.

Robbie Hedderman. He wasn't at City long but he must have individually been responsible for about 6 goals in his time here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Not the worst but biggest disappointment for me was Shane Harte. Bundles of talent, could have been great but pissed it away.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Corholio wrote: »
    Guntars Silagailis. Watching him play was painful, he had this weird way of running that looked like a middle aged husband trying to show off to his wife running after a ball at someones birthday party. He was one of the most un-threatening strikers, goal wise, I've ever seen at the Cross.
    Well at least he ran, my enduring memory of Fitzer was him making a half hearted attempt to challenge for a long ball, then just stand there and slowly walk back towards the half way line, it was so frustrating to watch as a fan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Not the worst but biggest disappointment for me was Shane Harte. Bundles of talent, could have been great but pissed it away.

If we're playing that game, Joxer Kelly wins all day long. Could have been an Ireland international if he was even halfway bothered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭Drogmal

Feargal Coleman goal machine at Drogheda and think he blagged a game with Galway too. He was truly shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

Most of these players nominated above are dubious enough. As somebody who watched virtually all of Limerick's games the second season up in Pike I could easily list a half dozen players of practically no ability whatsoever. I'll settle for three.

3) Stephan Jauny. "He's come from Crusaders," the club told us. "He was on trial and we didn't want him," Crusaders amended. "He's trying very hard," people offered in mitigation. "He's certainly very trying," muttered most. He ran and ran and ran, seemingly without any natural position, constantly turning up where the ball had been about three seconds earlier...

2) Colin P. O'Brien. Unlike Jauny above and Quigley below O'Brien had some natural ability. He just didn't give even the tiniest damn about anything. Exiled on loan initially to Limerick, he clearly viewed the whole experience as a purgatory to be endured before he continued on his inevitable journey to grace the great stadiums of the game. C.P. was quickly dubbed "Can't Pass" and proceeded to leisurely stroll about the First Division, scoring the odd penalty or free kick, leaving tracking back to lesser mortals and saving any displays of passion for sporadic outbursts at his own support. Rumours abounded about his rushed exit from the club, he was inexplicably brought back the following season to even less acclaim and vanished again in short order amidst another haze of unsavory rumours and a degree of disinterest that rivaled his "efforts" on the pitch.

1) Ebbie Quigley. Plucked from the big time of LIT Ebbie was a striker who huffed and puffed up front all season, toiling manfully for a return of zero goals... he had the ball over the line once to be fair but was, inevitably, whistled back for offside, floored in a collision with an opposition player and had to be taken off injured for his troubles.

Limerick managed a princely 18 goals in the league that year (from memory, the only game they scored more than once in was a league cup game against Cork), winning 4 of their 33 games. Now that was dreadful!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Neil Treble. That is all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭kksaints

Glen Fitzpatrick was truely awful for us in 2009. Kyle Moran deserves a mention for being an awful player aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

Glen Fitzpatrick was shocking for Athlone.

But the award has to go to go a Brendan Place signing, his own brother Stephen Place. Absolute rubbish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Kerrea Gilbert came to the League with a bit of a rep. I'd always be delighted to see him line out for Rovers whenever Bohs made the trip across the city or vice versa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭UnleashTheBeast

Drogmal wrote: »
    Feargal Coleman goal machine at Drogheda and think he blagged a game with Galway too. He was truly shocking.
    He scored for Galway United against Cork City in the League Cup Final at Turners Cross, we won so he's still well thought of in the Whest. :)

The person that named Paddy Madden in a thread about "the worst LOI players".... mother of god. Not much more to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

These type of threads always have the poster who picks the Most Overrated player for Worse Player ever, for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭markc1184

Joe O Cearuil, considering he'd won a cap for Ireland, was pure dirt. I remember there was also some guy Drogs signed around 2005 who'd previously been a million pound signing in Scotland and subsequently proved to be useless for them. Can't remember his name, though.

Paul Bernard?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Gael85

Neil Trebble,Johny Powell,Brad Jones Shelbourne

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Gael85

Carlton Palmer,Efan Ekoku Dublin City
    Steve Archibald Home Farm
    Juan Sara Shelbourne

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Gael85 wrote: »
    Carlton Palmer,Efan Ekoku Dublin City
    Steve Archibald Home Farm
    Juan Sara Shelbourne

Did Juan Sara even ever get a game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

The person that named Paddy Madden in a thread about "the worst LOI players".... mother of god. Not much more to say.

In fairness, whoscored.com's assessment doesn't make for encouraging reading ('Player has no significant strengths')
    http://www.whoscored.com/Players/69659

• Advertisement

born2bwild wrote: »
    In fairness, whoscored.com's assessment doesn't make for encouraging reading ('Player has no significant strengths')
    http://www.whoscored.com/Players/69659

Nor does Darren Gibson (http://www.whoscored.com/Players/30395/Show/Darron-Gibson) and James McCarthy's only strength is apparently blocking the ball...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Gael85 wrote: »
    Neil Trebble,Johny Powell,Brad Jones Shelbourne

Look where Brad Jones is now!

Was going to post Max Cream or Davi De Sliva for Shels. On the Glen Fitz mentions, he'll remain a legend to me since that night in Lansdowne against Lille! Was definitely worth getting pneumonia!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Ibrahima Thiam-Iyane for Drogs. He was definitely one of those scam players. I think he claimed to have caps for Senegal.

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

He scored for Galway United against Cork City in the League Cup Final at Turners Cross, we won so he's still well thought of in the Whest. :)

Suppose watching Galway week in week out would make Madden out to be Rooney

Btw I did say he prob shouldn't be mentioned but he was the most frustrating player I saw in a Bohs Shirt.

major bill wrote: »
    Suppose watching Galway week in week out would make Madden out to be Rooney

Btw I did say he prob shouldn't be mentioned but he was the most frustrating player I saw in a Bohs Shirt.
    Jog on sunshine.

Suggesting Paddy Madden in a thread about worst LOI players. I'm actually embarrassed for you. Go back to your position as a full time window licker, there's a good fellow. :)

Also, while on the subject of you not being the brightest bulb - when you read this thread initially, did the title change to "most frustrating player" for you in your head or something?

The thread title is "Worst LOI player you've ever seen". It seems you need things spelt out for you.

The thread title is "Worst LOI player you've ever seen". It seems you need things spelt out for you.

Yea, nobody has looked at the thread that way, the correct answer will be some 16 year old that got a 10 minute run out for Salthill or Wexford Youths, none of us remember their name and they never played again. Wouldn't make for a great thread.

bohsman wrote: »
    Yea, nobody has looked at the thread that way, the correct answer will be some 16 year old that got a 10 minute run out for Salthill or Wexford Youths, none of us remember their name and they never played again. Wouldn't make for a great thread.
    So to make the thread great, players that have clearly no business being within an arses roar of this thread should be suggested?!

To be fair, most peoples shouts were fairly normal. Dave Scully types, etc. Madden is hilarious though, the only thing that can be deduced from a suggestion that clueless is that the poster has a knowledge of football akin to that of a potato.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

I can confirm that Max Cream was the single worst player ever to turn out for Wexford Youths, I think Gareth Wallace was the only 16 y.o. we ever started in the senior team and he mopped the floor with Cream.

I'll take any opportunity to mention Max Cream. :o

• Advertisement

Yea, nobody has looked at the thread that way, the correct answer will be some 16 year old that got a 10 minute run out for Salthill or Wexford Youths, none of us remember their name and they never played again.

Nonsense. The thread asks for the WORST LOI player YOU'VE seen. I stand by my Ebbie Quigley as he was noticeably terrible in a Limerick team that were noticeably terrible by the standards of other First Division teams that season. Paddy Madden was a ludicrous suggestion by any standards (though I'll stop well short of the personal abuse other posters unfathomably seem to feel needed to be hurled at you).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

I can confirm that Max Cream was the single worst player ever to turn out for Wexford Youths, I think Gareth Wallace was the only 16 y.o. we ever started in the senior team and he mopped the floor with Cream.

I'll take any opportunity to mention Max Cream. :o

Well, we have another 16 year old, Jordan Brett, named in our official senior squad for this season and he played against Bray on Friday We are the Youths after all :P

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

UnleashTheBeast, you need to amend your posting style immediately:

• Attack the post, not the poster
    • Keep it civil
    • Do not tell posters where to post and what to post.
    There will be no further warning.

Advertisement