Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Phone 8.1 Features

• 16-02-2014 9:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭

Seems to be a lot of rumour information online as to features we'll be getting with WP8.1 whenever it's released. Granted I know the below aren't all definite by any means, but there are some things in there I really like the look of! From what I've read it sounds like most current WP8 handsets will be able to upgrade to it at some point.
    Social notifications will now show up in Action Center by swiping from the top of the screen
    Sharing secured WI-Fi Networks with contacts if they have Wi-Fi Sense. They don’t get to see the shared password though
    Operators can now control Data Sense limits remotely
    Operators can also install certain applications once a SIM card is detected
    Along with normal updates, there are now “important” updates.
    Options to always download emails and pictures within them
    Encrypted and signed e-mail support
    Change default SMS app. You can also change which SMS app will show notifications.
    Enterprise enrolled phones can have their passwords changed and remotely locked
    “Write, when I swipe through letters”. That should be self-explanatory
    Geofence monitoring support. Geofence is a boundary around a place of interest to you. Location services can monitor geofences to tell your apps when you’re entering and leaving them. This would be really good for IFTTT
    Office Lens support. Will scan in documents and screens
    The phone will have to update to the latest version before you can restore it to factory settings
    Option to update store apps automatically
    Option to update store apps when only on Wi-Fi
    App Suggestions by location
    Manual Update checks
    Password protected Office document support
    Trusted app list for NFC that will remove the need for asking whether you want to open a particular app.
    In-call speech commands. You’ll be able to say “Call XXXXXX”.
    Double-Tap to unlock your phone (Feature from Lumia devices on Amber Update and newer)
    Quiet Hours
    Double Tap to Power Off
    Notification if charger isn’t of adequate power
    Screenshot button combination is now Power + Volume Up
    Chkdsk for SD Cards essentially
    Apps on SD Cards are only allowed from ONE originating phone. If it detects that apps from another phone are installed on the SD Card, then it will ask to delete those first
    Voice Narrator for Accessibility
    The Search button will be the new way to open Speech instead of the Start button (Since the newer phones will have the start button on screen)
    New Email sync options with accordance to usage patterns (i.e. If you get a lot of mail on particular days and if you don’t check mail every day).
    Change the size and amount of tiles on your start screen.
    Wallet supports tickets and membership cards
    App Syncing
    Backups now include application data (ABOUT TIME)
    Screen Reader functionality (Maybe Text-To-Speech for apps?)
    Screen Recording functionality
    Inner Circle of contacts. Up to 40 contacts can be in the inner circle.
    You can favorite photos by tapping a heart icon
    Virtual SmartCard support

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

if its like windows computer 8 and 8.1 little will change

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

if its like windows computer 8 and 8.1 little will change

It's not, did you even read the list of new features?!

There are a ton of new user and developer features in WP 8.1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 105 ✭✭daveyboynire

Some nice feature there, sadly its still months off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Some nice feature there, sadly its still months off

April second is the date that's being bandied about online (at the Microsoft \\build event). That's not too far away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

They might release it earlier on the developer program in much the same way that many people were using gdr3 months before the final rollout.

the only thing that disappoints me about this update is the scaling back of the Facebook integration. I still find the official app is pretty ****e, so I've always used the integrated Facebook features (like pinning people to start and seeing their updates etc). Similarly i really liked how i could see all my Facebook photo albums in the Photos hub, i used that a lot. I'll now have to load the terrible and slow Facebook app instead?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Is Cortana being rolled out with 8.1?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Nothing is likely to be confirmed until Build, but it certainly looks like it will be.

gman2k wrote: »
    Is Cortana being rolled out with 8.1?

Yes, there a few features that have not leaked as they're not in the developer preview :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭KingOfFairview

Any idea how this is being rolled out? I'm on Meteor, when might I get it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Any idea how this is being rolled out? I'm on Meteor, when might I get it?

well you'd have to wait for it to be announced. Then released. Then rolled out. I reckon you'd be lucky to see anything before July

• Advertisement

PaulieC wrote: »
    well you'd have to wait for it to be announced. Then released. Then rolled out. I reckon you'd be lucky to see anything before July

Or, if you wait until the end of April then Microsoft will probably announce a preview program at \\Build, similar to the recent GDR3 one.

I have to say that I've been trying to avoid news of WP8.1, but some of the Cortana stuff is really interesting.

Cortana seems to be the final name for Microsoft's Siri-like service.

Cortana pops up in Bing personalization settings: If you go to Bing on your PC, and change the settings to US, then you can see Personalization settings and the ability to reset your Cortana information.

Hopefully this doesn't mean that Cortana will be a US-Only feature (although, I wouldn't be surprised considering some of the stuff MS do on Xbox and Windows Phone that are already US-Only).

Cortana seems to be the final name for Microsoft's Siri-like service.

Cortana pops up in Bing personalization settings: If you go to Bing on your PC, and change the settings to US, then you can see Personalization settings and the ability to reset your Cortana information.

Hopefully this doesn't mean that Cortana will be a US-Only feature (although, I wouldn't be surprised considering some of the stuff MS do on Xbox and Windows Phone that are already US-Only).
    Yup. US-Only beta at first before going to other markets ... I presume you can use the same workaround as Xbox One (Switch Phone Locale to English US (and get annoyed with spell check putting in 'Z's where they don't belong :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I'd assume not all phones get all the features. Which is what happened with the previous updates.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

It tends to be that all phones get the MS features, if it's the Lumia Black features then yes they are more hardware dependant

liamog wrote: »
    It tends to be that all phones get the MS features, if it's the Lumia Black features then yes they are more hardware dependant

Really good article on the developer preview for Windows Phone 8.1
    http://m.wpcentral.com/how-sign-windows-phone-81-preview-developers

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Martina82

What's going to become of my XP OS?

Really good article on the developer preview for Windows Phone 8.1
    http://m.wpcentral.com/how-sign-windows-phone-81-preview-developers

So, Nokia will have some Lumia specific features, like always, but 8.1 will be the same for all devices. There might be a couple of exceptions - camera burst mode, I don't think the 520. Same with the screen sharing/mirroring - it's CPU/chipset dependant.

There'll be more details in a few days when MS release the 8.1 preview for WP8 devices :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

8.1 early next week (14th) for those on the developer preview.....

http://www.techienews.co.uk/979480/confirmed-windows-phone-8-1-developer-preview-coming-next-week/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭KingOfFairview

In my preview app 'done' is greyed out whether or not the box is ticked. Any ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭g0g

It's available for download on the preview thingy now for anyone who's eager! :)

Downloading updates ... 0% :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

In my preview app 'done' is greyed out whether or not the box is ticked. Any ideas?

Have you enrolled as a developer first?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Almost Done...exciting times, if you're a geek

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

That pre-8.1 update is taking forever to install

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,788 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Installing now...

Takes ages, indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,892 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Running it on a 1320 and 520 here.

1320 is already through the pre-update (its on wireless) but the 520 isn't too far behind on 3G

1320 now searching for the real thing :) Hope it's worth it but everything I've read looks good.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭bruce wayne

downloaded and installing on 920 as we speak ;0)

• Advertisement

stevenmu wrote: »
    That pre-8.1 update is taking forever to install

phew. I thought I'd done something wrong because it was stuck "installing updates" with no progress bar for ages after the reboot (Lumia 920)

My guess is that a lot of us will be 'moving' to the US later today, eh? :)

Advertisement