Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Phone 8.1 Features

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,007 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

beauf wrote: »
    Why don't we forget that line of discussion. Its not really Wp8.1 features.

Anyone have a problem with files? I find it copies/movies small batches of files (usually photos) around no problem. Do a good few say 10+ and it crashes back to the desktop?

I must admit even the icon of the files app looks wrong to me, i'd say it was put together by one of the interns. I'd prefer it to be much more integrated into the OS as core functionality rather than a separate app.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

smacg wrote: »
    I too have noticed this on a 520. Might do a software recovery on it and re-install to see if that makes a difference as the official release is now available.

I also noticed that battery doesn't last as long and the phone is heading up alot more.
    Hopefully this is a temporary thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

zom wrote: »
    Yesterday I've got 8.1 update for my Lumia 620 (O2 UK). Vers. 8.10.12393.890 (with transition version 8.0.10532.166).
    My bigger disappointment is no option for changing search provider as I hate Bing ...

Just found today, it is surprisingly working on my 620:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWwViHOtzpc

Change default Search Browser -Search Button- from Bing to Google on Windows 8 Phone

Step 1.
    Set your default search provider to Google.
    -Settings - swipe left to Applications - Internet explorer - Advanced options - Change default search provider field to Google

Step 2.
    Open Google on internet explorer and log into your Google account -Gmail, Google +, Youtube etc - This allows Google to set your language to your default language thus over riding phone language settings.

Step 3.
    Settings - Language + Region - Browser and search language - Set to Russian /Russia
    ^^ As featured in my video.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

Change default Search Browser -Search Button- from Bing to Google on Windows 8 Phone

Step 1.
    Set your default search provider to Google.
    -Settings - swipe left to Applications - Internet explorer - Advanced options - Change default search provider field to Google

Step 2.
    Open Google on internet explorer and log into your Google account -Gmail, Google +, Youtube etc - This allows Google to set your language to your default language thus over riding phone language settings.

Step 3.
    Settings - Language + Region - Browser and search language - Set to Russian /Russia

I don't think you understand the issue mentioned. With 8.1 installed, the option to change your search provider is gone for certain models.

Also, setting your phone's region to Russia is not a good idea.

theothernt wrote: »
    I don't think you understand the issue mentioned. With 8.1 installed, the option to change your search provider is gone for certain models.

Also, setting your phone's region to Russia is not a good idea.

Are you frighten me? Well - seems to me that "option to change your search provider is NOT gone for certain models", as it is possible to do it with Russian region.

• Advertisement

Are you frighten me? Well - seems to me that "option to change your search provider is NOT gone for certain models", as it is possible to do it with Russian region.

Not sure what you're trying to say??

Anyway, your tip DOES NOT WORK for 8.1. Depending on the model of phone you have, you'll either have the option to change search engines or not.

On the Lumia 1020 the option is still there. On the Lumia 1520 it's gone. Changing the 'region' does not affect this. I have these phones and I've tested it.

And setting the region of your phone to Russia means some websites will display in Russian, as well parts of the store. Instead, all you had to do was visit the Google website in IE, then pin it to your Start Menu. There's even an official app.

Also, the people reading this are more likely to have changed their region to U.S. or UK so they can use Cortana.

Not sure what you're trying to say??

Anyway, your tip DOES NOT WORK for 8.1. Depending on the model of phone you have, you'll either have the option to change search engines or not.

I tested it on Lumia 620 02 UK. Even if I changed search engine in options, I still had Bing under search button. And I tried it few times, with restarts etc.
    Now when I changed region, it magically working with Google under Search Button. I can do video on youtube to show you if you don't believe me.

I tested it on Lumia 620 02 UK. Even if I changed search engine in options, I still had Bing under search button. And I tried it few times, with restarts etc.
    Now when I changed region, it magically working with Google under Search Button. I can do video on youtube to show you if you don't believe me.

It's still quicker to just pin Google to your Start Screen or download the Google app.

It's still quicker to just pin Google to your Start Screen or download the Google app.

If it wouldn't be so important, Microsoft wouldn't do it that way. You seems smarter than all that smart asses from Microsoft after you pin Google to Start Screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Johnny Derpp

Wait, doeas that mean that if I want to get the official version of 8.1 and cyan update I have to remove developers preview?
    I thought this can not be removed, only factory restore? No?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Wait, doeas that mean that if I want to get the official version of 8.1 and cyan update I have to remove developers preview?

You need to reflash the phone with 8.0 (which wipes everything on it of course), then you can update to 8.1 and Cyan and then reinstall Dev Preview to get the most recent update

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Devane

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    You need to reflash the phone with 8.0 (which wipes everything on it of course), then you can update to 8.1 and Cyan and then reinstall Dev Preview to get the most recent update

I can't post links yet but.... google this

OTA Developer Device Cyan updates for #Lumia820 starts rolling out Sept 1st. Stay tuned! #wpdev

Eventually the issue will be fixed so you don't have to resort to downgrading to upgrade.

My camera on the 1020 seems to have the reframing broke due to the beta camera app. It reframes/zooms in to a point where you can end up with a pixelated photo. It would prevent you from doing so before. Will have to reflash to fix it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

_Kaiser_ wrote: »

I assume phones with Dev Preview will get the next update a lot earlier than the stock firmwares though.

beauf wrote: »
    I assume phones with Dev Preview will get the next update a lot earlier than the stock firmwares though.

Yes, if your phone is enrolled in the Dev Preview programme, it gets the next update before the official roll out. That version is *not* a beta though, it's actually feature complete and should only have a few small issues.

So between the time Update 1 is released on Dev Preview to the time it comes out for everyone else, it should get updated a few times to fix any issues that are found.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Anyone know what the Icon in the red box is??

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

It's a new feature in WP8.1. It means you have new notifications, if you swipe down from the top of the screen it will bring up the notification centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

stevenmu wrote: »
    It's a new feature in WP8.1. It means you have new notifications, if you swipe down from the top of the screen it will bring up the notification centre.

Great. Thanks. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Anyone else having trouble with the xbox music app?
    Mine keeps stopping after certain songs, have to unplug the headphones and plug them back in to get it to play again.
    This is for music I have on the phone btw, it's a 1520.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭KingOfFairview

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Anyone else having trouble with the xbox music app?
    Mine keeps stopping after certain songs, have to unplug the headphones and plug them back in to get it to play again.
    This is for music I have on the phone btw, it's a 1520.

I have this even when I'm using mixradio, it seems to be a general problem rather than xbox specific

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Johnny Derpp

Devane wrote: »
    I can't post links yet but.... google this

OTA Developer Device Cyan updates for #Lumia820 starts rolling out Sept 1st. Stay tuned! #wpdev

Eventually the issue will be fixed so you don't have to resort to downgrading to upgrade.

My camera on the 1020 seems to have the reframing broke due to the beta camera app. It reframes/zooms in to a point where you can end up with a pixelated photo. It would prevent you from doing so before. Will have to reflash to fix it.
    Wait, this is brilliant, are you saying that I cna stay with this developer preview and when the official versions is released my phone will update to the official version?

• Advertisement

Wait, this is brilliant, are you saying that I cna stay with this developer preview and when the official versions is released my phone will update to the official version?

That was always the plan. But due to a bug with devices already in the Dev Preview programme, the Cyan update was held back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Has anyone else tried UK Cortana?

It's nice to have weather and information in the correct format (Celsius and dd/mm/yyyy), and the voice is OK.

It just doesn't feel right - I've gotten used to Jen Taylor's voice as Cortana on the phone (never mind from Halo) and she puts a lot of personality into the lines.

For example if you try 'Tell me a joke' - US Cortana tells the joke with a 'smiley' voice and hits the punch line, UK Cortana delivers the line in a completely monotone manner that you almost completely miss that the joke has finished.

I know that's a very impractical example, but the same feeling goes throughout the rest of the experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Has anyone else tried UK Cortana?

It's nice to have weather and information in the correct format (Celsius and dd/mm/yyyy), and the voice is OK.

It just doesn't feel right - I've gotten used to Jen Taylor's voice as Cortana on the phone (never mind from Halo) and she puts a lot of personality into the lines.

For example if you try 'Tell me a joke' - US Cortana tells the joke with a 'smiley' voice and hits the punch line, UK Cortana delivers the line in a completely monotone manner that you almost completely miss that the joke has finished.

I know that's a very impractical example, but the same feeling goes throughout the rest of the experience.

http://www.wpcentral.com/microsoft-may-make-cortana-uk-sound-less-robotic-future

PaulieC wrote: »

Thanks, yeah, I had seen that article and was accepting that it is a beta and will eventually improve. Hopefully it work out, but would like the choice between the voice actresses.

Would much prefer Jen Taylor over an Irish/English accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Stormington

Would much prefer Jen Taylor over an Irish/English accent.

I'll letter bomb Microsoft if they give her a d4 accent.

'Doy-rekshuns? You take the next roight...'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭KingOfFairview

I'll letter bomb Microsoft if they give her a d4 accent.

'Doy-rekshuns? You take the next roight...'

Roysh

Ah sure sandyford isn't in D4

Ah sure sandyford isn't in D4

I wouldn't be surprised if Ireland just get the UK voice - obviously a choice between U.S. and UK would be nice.

In regards to recognition, they'll use the UK profile like they do with their consoles.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't be surprised if Ireland just get the UK voice - obviously a choice between U.S. and UK would be nice.

In regards to recognition, they'll use the UK profile like they do with their consoles.
    A choice between the two voices would be grand (as long as it would also take into account the Metric system :))

Advertisement